1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the absolute most basic, easy-to-use DAW?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Telecaster88, Sep 8, 2020.

1. fbb007

fbb007 TDPRI Member

magix music maker is easy

Matthias likes this.
  2. fbb007

fbb007 TDPRI Member

good to know, i just purchased the 60$ version

johnny k likes this.
  3. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Not everyone had the latency problem, but if you have problem, you will probably have to get the asio4all driver... Let us know. Well maybe not me since i still have the problem, but people here will be able to help.

fbb007 likes this.
  4. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Had similar experience. Garageband is simple, plug and play, you can instantly record, mix and export. Logic X is the next step.

flatfive likes this.
  5. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Definitely Garageband on Mac, but on PC I've used Magix and that was simple. Audacity is pretty simple and free, too, and actually has some fairly advanced audio manipulation features you don't get built into a lot of other low-end software like noise reduction.

I use Logic these days and that's fairly straightforward but I find using sends and buses a bit clunky... But that always takes a bit of focus and planning.

6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Studio One was created with PreSonus hardware in mind. I have a 16 chan. PS StudioLive rackmount in my work arsenal that I control with a PS control surface. The control surface offers 2 mic pre's & functions as a digital interface, as well. This is all connected via a dedicated WiFi router.
    Full disclosure warrants I specify that this rig is used exclusively for live sound in a seminar environment, but the fact remains that it was designed for home studios.

7. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

I find Cakewalk to be pretty easy to use. Reaper was a little much to start with, and I was not a fan of Studio One either.

8. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

Kenny

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  9. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been using Studio One since I started a couple of years ago. Not too long ago I opened up GarageBand on my iMac to mess with it some. Thinking maybe a move to Logic. Didn’t take me long to realize I’m just used to S1.

codamedia likes this.
  10. iamjethro

iamjethro TDPRI Member

Just started with Mixbus. I really like it so far because it looks and acts like a mixer desk for a lot of it. IT is deep in power, but some things seem easier to me. Alwasys running specials on website for like 69 bucks with some effects thrown in.
    Recently named by some producer as equal to and in some way "better" than Pro tools.

Erwin and RomanS like this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

All DAWs (even the 'easier' ones) are a rabbit hole if you have little or no experience recording. At best, a good DAW emulates the physical studio board and outboard gear experience. Reaper, for example, is great at that, IMO. At worst, it tries to digitally "correct" and/or simplify the limitations and integration of analog and physical recording/mixing. I would say stay far away from the latter. But if you don't know what isn't being emulated, than it will make no difference.

STICK TO WHATEVER YOU HAVE, until you are not just familiar with the DAW itself, but recording/mixing in general.

Audacity is actually not that easy for novices. For one thing, it doesn't translate well to other DAWs. It also has some setup quirks that are easier to deal with on most other 'production' software suites, including Garageband and Reaper.

12. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Thanks everyone! All I wanna be able to do is record, overdub, do simple editing, and mix down. I'll look into all your suggestions. It's been very helpful!

LiveTransmission likes this.
  13. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Ask a simple question, get a million complicated answers. +1 on Audacity. Very easy for basic mixing. The only issue is you can only do one track at a time.

Studio One is a little more complicated, and it lets you save only three projects at a time. But allows multiple inputs.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Thanks! Do you mean if I want to record one performance to two tracks simultaneously, say guitar and vocals, Audacity can't do that?

15. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Correct, or at least I never figured out how to do it. Anyone else want to chime in? I could only get one input at a time.

16. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Garage Band is my go when someone asks me that. I switched to a PC and purchased Pro Tools. Let's just say, I miss Garage Band.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That sucks. I used it quite a bit and had good success with it.

18. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

i feel the same about the learning curve. after losing my 16ch mackie mixer and 1/2" 8 track tascam,
    i feel like i need an instructor to do this digital stuff here in luddite-ville

Telecaster88 likes this.
  19. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

That's because lots of us have put in the time it takes to really learn the various DAWs mentioned in the thread, and having done so, we're sticking with them. Ultimately, they're just tools to get music into -- and out of.

codamedia and suthol like this.
  20. Nozebleeds

Nozebleeds TDPRI Member

Reaper and GarageBand. Both excellent choices, I use Reaper myself and won’t go back. If I had a Mac I might consider Logic but for basic recordings you can’t beat Reaper.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.