1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is the 12" equivalent to an Eminence 1028k?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by theprofessor, Dec 3, 2017.

1. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I have an octal tweed princeton built into a tweed deluxe cabinet/chassis. I really like the Weber 12a125s. But the sig. 12 ribbed is pretty cool too.

2. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Anybody try any of the late 50's Oxford alnico speakers, I heard the late
    50's early 60's sound best. I did have two ceramic's a 64 and a 67 silver
    frame and when I tried them and I could not believe the difference 3 years
    made. The 64 sounded fantastic.

3. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The alnico Oxford 12L6 sounds real good. Very similar to the Jensen P12P except a bit brighter and tighter.

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

No problem. For the record, I have 4 of the Eminence/Fender blue frame 10s, the older paper former late 90s ones, in my '66 Super Reverb so I know what you're hoping to achieve. I paired the Mojotone 12 with a Celestion A Type in a 66 Pro Reverb and it did add some alnico sparkle, did not fart out or blow with high volumes, but it did not make the Pro sound as good as the Super. Obviously that can be attributed to multiple things, but the bottom line is 10s are 10s and 12s are 12s and you have to be realistic about it.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  5. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I have the 1028 in a Princeton and love it. My son bought a used DRRI this past summer and as luck would have it, I found a 1228 for it. Sounds great as well. Makes the DRRI playable at home and great for smaller shows and jams. I love those speakers. Perfect fit for fender amps. Although much less headroom.

6. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic! Way to go on finding a 1228!

7. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

The Weber 12A125 can be had as a 30 Watt speaker, It sounds great in a 5E3. The Eminence has only a 1" voice coil, like a Jensen P10R or the Weber Signature 10" In a Super Reverb, four Sig 10s are amazing. The Weber 10A125 has an 1 1/4" voice coil.

8. theprofessor

Well I can't say for sure that it's the 12" equivalent of a 1028k, but I did get an old 12" alnico that I'm going to give a try. It's a Magnavox out of a Wurlitzer. It looks to be from 1959, 34th week. 232 is the Magnavox EIA code.

IMG_5524.JPG IMG_5526.JPG IMG_5525.JPG

My guess is that it probably shouldn't get more than 15-20 watts or so. I put it in the new lacquered tweed 1x12 cab I got off Reverb. I decided to solder it in. Now I'm just waiting on a speaker cable to come by post tomorrow. Then I can report back about how it sounds in comparison to the Eminence Legend 1028k that is installed in my tweed Princeton there to the right.
    IMG_5527.JPG IMG_5528.JPG

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  9. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I got my hands on a bunch of Eminence Legend 122 speakers as they were being discontinued. They are great. They tend to cut off a little bit of high end, but deliver beautiful tone. That made it a perfect speaker for my Epiphone Galaxie 25.
    I've also got one in an Avatar open back G112 and a pair in a closed back 4 X 12".

I've got a few of both the 8" and 16" versions. Great speakers.

10. theprofessor

I got a chance to test out that Magnavox 12" alnico, both with the closed back and open back cabinet configurations. I made some panels for the cabinet to convert it to an open-back cabinet, and it sounds fantastic that way! The whole thing has more definition, more air around each of the notes, and more harmonics. The treble is brighter and crisper, and the bass notes have good treble around them, giving them more definition than before. With the closed back, it's as if everything had a bit of a muffler on it or was compressed.

This is a great speaker! Any ideas on what a conservative wattage rating might be? 15W? 20W?

IMG_9784.JPG

Staypuft1652 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  11. theprofessor

Well I think I've found at least one speaker that's the 12" "equivalent" of the Eminence Legend 1028K: a re-coned Jensen P12P! I purchased this last week on a lark since it was a deal I thought was too good to pass up. Wow, what a great speaker! It's tight in the bass, holds together under gain exceptionally well for an alnico, even has some punch. Sparkly in the high end, all very articulate. Without ever being harsh. A winner!

Now I have two great alnico 12" speakers: the Magnavox that has the darker, softer sound of an old broken-in alnico. It gives up the goods quickly and is soft in the bass and the highs. Very "polite" and old sounding. And it's not loud. Then there's the re-coned Jensen P12P that has all the sparkle and harmonics and tightness of a speaker made last month.

IMG_9870.JPG

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

What that set you back? And do you know who re-coned it?

Merry-x

13. theprofessor

I got it off ebay for $82 shipped, and it was reconed by Ken Day. I think he's the in-house speaker guy for Dean Zink in Sylvan Lake, MI (just NW of Detroit). I checked the history of the listing, and the price had gone down a couple of times. I guess people just didn't know what it was or something. It's an old Bell and Howell projector speaker that originally had an impedance of 16 ohms. But Day re-coned it to 8 ohms.

Attached Files:

JustABluesGuy and Axis29 like this.
  14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Or a less know name for the re-cone that say Weber. I never heard of him until you mentioned it myself. So the 'unknown kind of thing' perhaps...

If I put my Heppners on Craigslist or eBay they'd fetch 20.00 ea at most I'd guess. After sticking one on my 5E3 speaker qualifier runs and stopping with a "yeah, that's it" I am glad to have the extra. My Red Fang wouldn't fit in it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.