What is Poly?

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
ah okay, this makes sense. i guess they figure they can speed up production in offshore locations because they don't care about environmental/workplace protections as much.
I have a 2011 Custom Shop Deluxe that is 100% made in the USA, at the Fender Custom Shop. It has a polyurethane finish. Nothing off shore about it. They do that from time to time. Why? I have no idea. It doesn't matter. Really. It. Does. Not. Matter.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
Slightly off-topic, but if one wishes to paint over these modern poly finishes, is it necessary to strip it down to the wood, or can the outer layer(s) simply be Zip-Stripped down and roughed-up a bit?

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
The first time I wore a leisure suit in HS I wore a white tshirt. I was mocked and ridiculed to the extent that I went to the men's room and discarded the tee. I had never worn a shirt without an undershirt before and this was the middle of winter. It felt wrong.

what part of "highly detailed" did you think they would skimp on ?;)
I can proudly say I never owned a leisure suit. But I did sport a snazzy corduroy Nehru jacket for a while...

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
Simply saying 'poly' is ambiguous. But in the realm of guitar finishing, it's either going to mean polyester and/or polyurethane. Both are very common, especially for factory guitars for a few decades now. Sometimes both will be applied to the same guitar body, in the case of polyester sealers and polyurethane top coats.