What is original on this 1977 tele?

knavel

Tele-Holic
The fret markers do indeed have a weird sheen to them judging from the photos.

Here is the case:
View attachment 1037099

Your 1976 looks very very nice Knavel!
Looks good. Thanks for the kind words about my 76--back in the day my band was lucky at the time there was a kid who worked at a music store who liked the group so he'd give us great leads and first go at stuff that just came in that the store had acquired, including that Tele.

If you get the guitar and want a photo of my 76's electronics to compare just write me a message. I know they are already somewhere on this site as I've posted them once or twice when someone asked to see original wiring for that time period.

That rout can be repaired and the paint matched. Here in the UK I use someone excellent for the job (see the thread on the 1971 Rosewood Telecaster repair that's been ongoing). None of that bother's me if the price is right. The fretboard is my only concern and it really isn't either if the price is right there too. It looks like a great guitar for a player! Good luck.

Sargent Pepper

Tele-Meister
If it matters to you, back in the day the 1970's era Fenders, and Gibsons too for that matter, were not considered anything special, and that's the nice way to put it. Course, now they are old so that makes a difference to a lot of people.

YouCanCallMeAl

TDPRI Member
Re: The pickups. The pots will be 25k EMG pots and there will be a battery in the cavity, which may have required a little bit of routing to accommodate it - mine did.
The neck pickup looks like it might be an SA (Strat replacement) rather than the Tele version, which means the pickup route may have been enlarged and, as you can see, the scratchplate would be cut for it to fit, and in any case, it has been drilled for screw attachment - 70s Tele neck pickups were screwed to the body.
Since EMG pots use a narrower shaft than US Teles, it could have had a replacement control panel and knobs, though it's not a given - I used the original panel and knobs on mine.
Very helpful! Thanks!

YouCanCallMeAl

TDPRI Member
Looks good. Thanks for the kind words about my 76--back in the day my band was lucky at the time there was a kid who worked at a music store who liked the group so he'd give us great leads and first go at stuff that just came in that the store had acquired, including that Tele.

If you get the guitar and want a photo of my 76's electronics to compare just write me a message. I know they are already somewhere on this site as I've posted them once or twice when someone asked to see original wiring for that time period.

That rout can be repaired and the paint matched. Here in the UK I use someone excellent for the job (see the thread on the 1971 Rosewood Telecaster repair that's been ongoing). None of that bother's me if the price is right. The fretboard is my only concern and it really isn't either if the price is right there too. It looks like a great guitar for a player! Good luck.
Thanks a lot, I’ll follow the auction and see how far it goes.

YouCanCallMeAl

TDPRI Member
If it matters to you, back in the day the 1970's era Fenders, and Gibsons too for that matter, were not considered anything special, and that's the nice way to put it. Course, now they are old so that makes a difference to a lot of people.
Very true. Unfortunately I am one of those poor souls that tend to romanticize old stuff… it’s silly I know. 🙃 but I will definitely try to keep it under control this time.

knavel

Tele-Holic
There are some very nice instruments from 70s Fender, but it's a case by case determination. I have three 70s Fenders and they are all exceptional, save for my personal dislike of the poly on the neck. The only thing wrong with any of them is the 75 Tele Custom bridge pickup can squeal if a distortion box is used with it. I haven't gotten around to fixing that, but I record with it frequently and it's awesome. I like my 76 Tele almost as much as the 53 blackguard shown to the left. I haven't come around to 80s or after at all; only A/O series as I like 9.5 radius and nitro.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
it's a case by case determination

It indeed is, but CBS did have their occasional moments of clarity nevertheless and during those, they actually managed to produce some great guitars. A case in point would be my '75 Custom that plays better than any 60's Tele I've ever owned or played - although that's just me, granted, because I fully understand some folks not liking the thick poly coating. But that has never bothered me one bit since my hands hardly sweat at all, and I'm also finding the chunky maple neck just purrr-fect as well!

So yes, some of those are indeed good, although perhaps a bit of an acquired taste?

knavel

Tele-Holic
So yes, some of those are indeed good, although perhaps a bit of an acquired taste?
I can only speak for myself. The only real problem I ever had with 70s Fender is how heavy some of the guitars can be. But Gibson was right there for the ride in this regard. I do wish that Fender had made more rosewood neck guitars in the 70s.

The CuNiFe humbucker is (again to me) an excellent pickup and it is something not in production for 4 decades thereafter, giving 70s Fenders with them some vintage value.

If you were to play my brother's 59 Esquire or my 59 Stratocaster, you would love the rosewood but you might not like the super thin depth of the neck. Like your Custom, my 75 has a great neck profile and it's an ash body guitar weighing 8 lbs (with ashtray bridge cover). Unlike in the 50s & 60s it came with a beautiful (to me) natural finish.

My 76 Tele is as light as any 60s Tele and I love the neck profile (not its poly finish though but I don't think about it once I get going) so much that it was what I took to the hospital for my 6 weeks at a time chemo treatments when I had leukemia.

I suppose I should move this to a new "Appreciation of 70s Fender" topic!

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
My '76 Tele has a rosewood fretboard. When I Google it I can never find one.
Maple must have been more popular at the time.
IMG_20150831_175951.jpg