What is original on this 1977 tele?

YouCanCallMeAl

TDPRI Member
Hi!

Can anyone tell me what is original on this 1977 tele?
I found it on a local auction and unfortunately can't disassemble it to look for stamps etc.
I see changed pick-ups, and a weird looking fit for the bridge plate with some sort of visible cavity behind it on the right and left side(?).

Is there anything else that my untrained eyes are missing?
Thanks!

Attachments

• bild.jpg
    bild.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 185
  • bild1.jpg
    bild1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 208
  • bild2.jpg
    bild2.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 208
  • bild3.jpg
    bild3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 206

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

When did the infamous 1970s 3-bolt neck revert to 4-bolt?

This one is 4-bolt.

Might be a 1977 neck on rando-parts everything else.

Just get a modern Player Series Tele new or used and you don't need to worry as much, nor spend as much.

Remember, if you have questions about this guitar ... when you get to a place you need to sell it, you will have buyers with the same questions you'll need to answer or not sell it. Do you want to play twenty questions when you need to sell it?

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Standard Teles were always four-bolt.

It looks plausible the only things altered are bridge and pickups, but I would say it’s very possible the rest of the electronics are changed depending of what the EMGs are.

However, you would only know for sure by seeing it in pieces. The notch (or lack of) is more characteristic of a late 70s body than all the more recent aftermarket bodies I’ve seen, but there were other copies in the 70s that copied the Fenders very closely. I would want to see the neck pocket stamps. It’s impossible to say if it’s a refin or not from those pics.

Late 70s rosewood necks are an oddity by the way - you should see pearloid dots and the side markers are in the maple, not bridging the maple and rosewood like modern necks, nor just in the rosewood like cheaper aftermarket necks.

YouCanCallMeAl

TDPRI Member
thank you all!

The thought 'what if I ever need/want to sell it..." has absolutely crossed my mind. More than once, haha.

I guess I'll just follow the auction to the end and see if the pricetag seems reasonable concerning all the risks involved.
Some part of me really want to open it up for a closer look, but then again - that might be an expensive and short lived thrill...

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
It’s clearly hacked, bid according.
Unoriginal? Pickguard, pickups, bridge. Body cut for bridge humbucker.

When did the infamous 1970s 3-bolt neck revert to 4-bolt?

This one is 4-bolt.

Might be a 1977 neck on rando-parts everything else...
The regular Telecaster was always four bolt. The other Teles of that era we're three bolt.

Standard Teles were always four-bolt...Late 70s rosewood necks are an oddity by the way - you should see pearloid dots and the side markers are in the maple, not bridging the maple and rosewood like modern necks, nor just in the rosewood like cheaper aftermarket necks.
True, and true. The dots on my '78 are in the maple, slightly under the edge of the rosewood ..makes it a lot easier to see the dots. Very distinctive of Teles from that era

viking

Friend of Leo's
Yup regular Tele was allways a 4 bolt. Looks like its has a full sized Humbucker rout under the bridge. Anyone care to guess what it looks like under the guard , LOL ?
Bridge plate looks like a Gotoh. It obviously has EMG pickups now...

YouCanCallMeAl

TDPRI Member
under the guard? let me guess...weight relief drill holes, a few cut cables here and there, the earthly remains of a humbucker... ;)

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Everything is original with the exception of the bridge and pickups.
The guitar was also hacked for a bridge humbucker at some point

knavel

Tele-Holic
Everything is original with the exception of the bridge and pickups.
The guitar was also hacked for a bridge humbucker at some point
And, as stated, the pickguard is not original. Fender had gone back to black guards by this time. There may be changed electronics but it is impossible to know. Also we don't know if there is the original case. I wonder about those fret markers as well. As stated, rosewood in that era was a rarity and something about the sheen of those dots bothers me.

The most debilitating item to the value is the rout under the bridge pick up.

The problem you face (OP) is that you know the issues. Others interested might not see them and be willing to spend more.

If you do get it and that rosewood board is original if you want to sell the neck for any reason please get in touch!

Here is my 1976 for reference. It is all original.
IMG_1030.JPG

Last edited:

YouCanCallMeAl

TDPRI Member
Also we don't know if there is the original case. I wonder about those fret markers as well. As stated, rosewood in that era was a rarity and something about the sheen of those dots bothers me.
The fret markers do indeed have a weird sheen to them judging from the photos.

Here is the case:
1665041234736.png

Your 1976 looks very very nice Knavel!

ponycar

Tele-Meister
Judging from the butchered wood under the bridge plate other nasty surprises may await.
I would have to route and repair then re-spray the body. That would be a shame.
A custom bridge plate could be fabbed up but that would not be desirable to me either.
A lacquer pro could perhaps spray some magic to match the finish over a repair.

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
Re: The pickups. The pots will be 25k EMG pots and there will be a battery in the cavity, which may have required a little bit of routing to accommodate it - mine did.
The neck pickup looks like it might be an SA (Strat replacement) rather than the Tele version, which means the pickup route may have been enlarged and, as you can see, the scratchplate would be cut for it to fit, and in any case, it has been drilled for screw attachment - 70s Tele neck pickups were screwed to the body.
Since EMG pots use a narrower shaft than US Teles, it could have had a replacement control panel and knobs, though it's not a given - I used the original panel and knobs on mine.

Wildeman

Tele-Afflicted
I'd definitely pay no more than I could get a new American Std for, that's just me though.