What is one amplifier you regret selling?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guitarguy91, Mar 12, 2021.

1. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

Ones I regret now selling:
    • Hilgen Basso Grande - my first amp - used it as a bass amp and it would be great to have for guitar again. Rare and hard to find.
    • Music Man 65 410 - My guitar amp for high school and college - great cleans and a half power switch. Sold it when I moved to Hoboken to a 5th floor walkup and moved to rack for a while...

Regret it being stolen from me:
    • 65 Bandmaster - rebuilt, put into a Newell 2x12 cab with Warehouse G12C/S speakers.

No regrets:
    • 65 Showman - great amp, but way too loud for my needs and had bought it when I thought I needed to have all the '65 Fender amps
    • '59 Bogen Challenger - great raw PA head converted into an amp, but I never played it. Sold it for the same amount I bought it for.
    • Fender Bronco tweed - good practice amp, but when I got back into amps vs. rack I then went back to older Fenders.
    • Dr. Z Mini - great amp, but replaced it with a MAZ 18.
    • ADA MP1 - my guitar sound for 92-'09; have it pretty much in my Avid Eleven Rack.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  2. Gjguitarmn

Gjguitarmn TDPRI Member

There are two amps I really regret letting go of. The first was my Black Face 1964 Fender Vibrolux Reverb. Sweet, clear tone on par (maybe better) than my Rivera-era Super Champ.

The second was my Marshall JCM 900 50 watt through 4 Celestions. Clearly different from the Fender. It has just enough "cleanness" to get by and the gain was fantastic for 60's rock.

3. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

Early Orange 80-no standby switch so the EL-84’s kept cooking, so the sound blossomed!
    Had to bring extra tubes with me in case one went.
    I heard a clip of a gig I did with my ‘67 BF SR, and it sounded great, but it went because practically everywhere I went in the late ‘80’s into the early ‘90’s those amps were being used.
    I sold a package of amps to buy my ‘93 Matchless DC-30.
    I sold the DC-30 without regret, and my back thanked me.
    But THAT OR-80...
    ...Sigh...

4. Lochry

Lochry TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

'72 Hiwatt DR504
    '62 Fender Vibrolux

5. groovezilla79

groovezilla79 Tele-Meister

I had a first run Mesa Boogie Dual Rec Roadster head. The S/N had it as the 6th one to come off the production line. Lost my job in '06 and had to sell it to pay rent. :(

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a dozen amps come and go - the only one I've kept for the last 35 years is the only one I would have regretted selling. An old 50 watt Peavey Silver Stripe Bandit. Bought it used with an EV SRO speaker upgrade, so I've never had the original Scorpion in it - replaced it with an Eminence Private Jack along the way at one point. It is not my current number 1 amp, but it has been multiple times and very well could be again someday.

7. JTStivers

JTStivers TDPRI Member

#1 by far...Fuchs TDS 50. Oddly, I just couldn't dial in an overdrive that blew me away--certainly sounded good and loved pedals, even with some gain. But the cleans were just stunning. Fast forward about 8 years, I bought another (both used)--it was convertible from 4 6V6 to 2 6L6, and while that amp sounded good, it just did not have that same magical clean the first one had. Sold!

OP__I know you said one, but . . .I also had a Fryette Memphis that I think I sort of maybe might have missed had I had more time with it and the ability to open it up. It was loud as hell, and the master worked fine, but the goods were at ear-splitting levels. I just couldn't play it as it deserved to get its goodness out. I have to say that amp had the most interesting tones--and range of tones--that I could imagine. The clean channel was also buzzy--after I sold it, the buyer said he had it fixed--no buzz. There's a pattern starting to emerge here about the ineptitude of the buyer. Guilty.

Sold a Bad Cat Black Cat 30R with the K Master about two years ago. Not sure I regret selling it, but I liked it a lot. I also didn't realize that to keep the first channel relatively clean, the K master has to be backed off the max setting, and that it was designed to give power tube distortion when full on. Another case of not being fully informed (my bad--again)! I'd get another one down the road.

Owned and sold these without regret (and they were all good):
    1. Peavey Studio
    2. Music Man 212 (back in the Cretaceous Era)
    3. Mesa Studio Pro (so I think it was called--small box, EL84s)
    4. Hot Rod Deluxe
    5. Glaswerks Zingaro (Cliff at DAG was great to work with, but rightfully thought I was crazy to return this so soon--within a week of getting it).

Currently sporting a
    1. Fender SCXD--love that thing! Big cleans in a little box--very useable digital overdrive models on channel two.
    2. Relatively new Big Tone Mkii 50. What a beaut! Superb cleans, great overdrive. Cant wait to gig it.
    3. Kemper rack mount. Many gigs (live and recording) with this. . . .

8. teleman14

teleman14 Tele-Meister

Heritage Patriot 2x12 n Blue tolex. Probably the only one ever made in that color. Traded for a Juke Warbler that I should have just bought, instead of trading.

if anyone owns that Blue Patriot, especially if you want to sell, let me know,

9. Whitebeard

Whitebeard TDPRI Member

All of them. I always had to sell or trade in what I was using to buy the next.

10. douguitar

douguitar TDPRI Member

My first Marshall, a 1972 Superlead 100 watt. Brutal, but I sold it before attenuators were a thing...

11. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

Early to mid 80's Fender Sidekick Reverb 30. Heard they were Riviera designed. Made in Japan I believe. Spent years trying to get that clean sound again on a tight budget. I have a weakness for solid state amps.
    download (1).jpeg
    Great home amp.

Now very happy with my Vox Pathfinder 15r for home use.

12. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Roland JC-120

13. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Hiwatt Bulldog 50 watt combo
    '59 tweed Twin
    The last 2 5E5A tweed Pros I had
    AC 50
    early VT40
    '68 Plexi Super Lead and straight cab, red, previously owned by Buddy Miles (used by Hendrix? who knows...)

All this was great stuff I had in the 80s/90s before the prices went haywire. Most went to pay bills when I was skint. Don't get me started on the guitars...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  14. oooogie

oooogie TDPRI Member

My Carr Rambler. Fender Deluxe with more clean headroom. It was awesome.

15. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 TDPRI Member

I regret trading my Traynor Bassmaster tube amp head, but it really was in rough shape. It and $200 CDN got me a 450 watt Peavey Tour Series head. But when that old tube amp was working well, it sounded absolutely filthy through twin 15's.

16. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

I miss my '65 Gemini I, too. With luscious reverb and tremolo, what was there not to love? The bright switch on the treble was a cool feature that went unappreciated at the time. A great amp.

jefffed likes this.
  17. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Music man 2x10

18. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Blasphemy, but I can’t think of one. Only regret getting rid of a handful of musical instruments in over 50 years of playing.

19. jefffed

jefffed TDPRI Member

1. Sound City 50w head (HiWatt progenitor) by Dallas Arbiter
    2. Sears 1484
    3. 64 ProReverb
    4. 66 Vibrolux

20. Spox

Spox TDPRI Member

WEM Dominator Mk III, it was my first amp and a workhorse, had no idea what I had and traded it for a Sound City Concord which looked nice and had reverb but was unreliable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.