1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What is one amplifier you regret selling?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guitarguy91, Mar 12, 2021.

1. RhinoV

RhinoV TDPRI Member

I acquired a stock 1960 Fender Bassman through an estate for $500 about 13 years ago. 1 owner, all original...except for 2 screen resistors...and the owner had replaced the then worn out tweed with black tolex sometime in the late 70s. When I got the amp, the tolex was pretty much a write off....I recovered the amp to original specs with new tweed, lacquer, grillcloth etc. If it had still been covered in the original tweed, regardless of condition, I could have gotten around 10K....I ended up selling it for half that..but I did sell it nonetheless. The money came in useful at the time, but in hindsight, I should have held on to it. It was a really great sounding amp...

2. djhblues

djhblues TDPRI Member

'65 Twin Reverb. My first good amp. I bought the amp and a Mosrite Ventures model guitar for $400.00 off a guy that no longer played. Sold it for $500 in the early '80s and bought a Peavey Mace because it had chorus built in. The guy that bought it couldn't leave with it fast enough and told me "You'll come back to Fender" as his car pulled a hole shot down my street. I never even looked to see what black face amps were going for back then. Can you imagine?? Oh the humanity...dumped that after 6 months and bought a Music Man 112RD because Clapton was playing through them. Great amp. Then I found a SF Vibrolux Reverb and I came back to Fender land.

3. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

Mid 70's Marshall 50 watt head, back when I was 18 or so.

My first "real" amp. Looking back,
    that was a great sounding amp...

4. pseudojoe

pseudojoe NEW MEMBER!

I had the original Peavey 5150 head and the slant cab. Sold them because I "wasn't using them" and they were more than I needed. True, but it was the best amp I ever had.

erobillard and Esquire Jones like this.
  5. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

A retired engineer?
    Buy another one.....just saying.

6. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

Are you by any chance Joe Bonamassa in disguise?

StrangerNY likes this.
  7. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

'65 or '66 bone-stock blackface Princeton Reverb. Bought brand new; my first ever amp.

Don't ask.:cry:

8. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

Yeah.... that too.

9. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

Jesus! I thought I was pissed when my mom gave away my comic collection. I feel for you sir.

10. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My early Bassman 4x10 reissue. Solid wood cabinet was light weight. The polarity switch was actually in the circuit, which helped a few times in places with weird wiring.

erobillard likes this.
  11. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

When I was in the Army back in the mid-80s stationed at Ft. Campbell KY (about 30 mins north of Nashville), I traded an early 70s Fender Vibrolux Reverb (with 2 10" speakers) for a 1-12" Marshall combo because the Marshall combo had a pre/post-stage that allowed the amp to saturate whereas the Fender did not. I can still remember the guy at the music store asking me "are you sure you wanna make this trade?" The Marshall was good for what it was but it ended up being the only non-Fender amp I've ever owned. I'm sure the Vibrolux sounds better in my memory than it actually did, but I'd sure like to have that one back!

Lowspeid likes this.
  12. Lowspeid

Lowspeid TDPRI Member

Fender Prosonic head and matching 4x12. Sounded so good! Didn’t even realize what I had.

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

There was a point in my life when I needed two blackface Supers for the headroom:eek:. We were doing lots of large outdoor gigs for some reason. They were in rolling flight cases. I loved them but had to sell them for smaller venues. I bought two BF Princetons and put 12” Greenbacks in them. Those were fantastic too.

14. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nah, I got a small attic. :lol: Here's my weird little collection:

'79 Marshall JMP 50 watt head w/2x12" Univox cabinet
    Fender Super 60 Combo
    Crate V32 Palomino head (St. Louis)
    Guitar Research T64RS head w/4x8" slant cabinet (red tolex!)
    Atomic Reactor 50w combo
    Crate Power Block w/JBL 1x12" sealed back cabinet
    Peavey Wiggy head w/2x12" cabinet
    Line 6 Flextone II 120w combo
    Two Rock Studio Pro 35 w/Smith Audio 1x12" cabinet (current gigging rig)
    Fender Mustang III 100w combo (grab & go rig)

- D

15. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

My 60s BF Champ. Not because it was a good amp, but because it nearly tripled since I sold it.

16. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

I regret selling my old Fender Twin Reverb, but only for the sound not for the weight

telejnky likes this.
  17. allcasters

allcasters TDPRI Member

Similar: a '69 blackface Bassman head into a 2x15 fender cab. Wish i had it back.

johmica likes this.
  18. erobillard

erobillard TDPRI Member

'68 Sunn Sceptre. Loud, clean, and most important - reliable. That amp would take anything. Which made it impractical for home and practice, but damn it kept shows simple.

Sold it to raise funds for a 1474 Silvertone combo, which has been at the repair shop, ostensibly for a recapping turned into ??? for 2+ years now.

19. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I sold a 65 Blackface Twin.

I'll say it again.

I sold a 65 Blackface Twin.

I had gotten it for 100 dollars from a friend of my dad's. It had belonged to HIS father. It had a blown speaker and a host of other issues, but a really good guy restored it for me completely for 300 bucks. It was the late 90's.

I sold it a couple of years later, because I really needed the bread. I sure regret it now!

20. FenderT40

FenderT40 TDPRI Member

65 BF Super Reverb, Graduation present from my parents, along with a white Fender Mustang Guitar. Sold all my music gear when I got divorced in 67'. Just bought another not working 79' SR off Craigslist super cheap.......removed Master Volume and pushpull distortion knob and replaced with presence control using "Uncle Doug's" You Tube Video. Still has bugs. Working through the circuits, replacing electrolytic caps, tubes, smoked on/off switch and out of tolerance resistors. Wiring in the 79 amp not as neat as the 65 Super. CBS downgraded along with MV in the 70s. CBS/Fender started using poly coated wiring instead of the old cloth wiring of the BF era, which does not laying down as neatly as the cloth wiring. Its a challenge but I will get this back to usable condition. Amp was all original.
    Just retired from 31 years in Financial Services and started a new business T40 Vintage Lab.com, in Rio Rancho, NM, repairing guitars and amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.