1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Is My CD Collection Worth?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Hoodster, Dec 23, 2020.

1. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Not worth the hassle of selling them. If you need to move them take them to Goodwill or throw them in the trash.

Whatizitman likes this.
  2. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

Goodwill.... The floorspace in your home is worth more than the box...... Also, as an SACD guy I will say that there is no way I am giving up my player, even the Tidal encrypted files (yeah, I bought the decoder too) are no where near as high quality.... I should probably make that it's own topic. :)

3. guitararmy

guitararmy TDPRI Member

We should start a CD swap thread!

4. rwp1993

rwp1993 TDPRI Member

Rather than trashing them, consider donating them to a local nonprofit that has a thrift store (not Goodwill). I am a board member and store volunteer for a domestic violence nonprofit in NC. We resell hundreds of CDs and DVDs every yeat and the money goes to good use.

Junkyard Dog and PacificChris like this.
  5. Demac

Demac TDPRI Member

CD’s aren’t worth much but there is not much better a source if you like listening to quality audio on nice speakers. You might get $3 a CD.

Nahtabot and Wallo Tweed like this.
  6. Muadzin

Muadzin TDPRI Member

I never listen to CD's anymore, too much hassle changing CD's when they're finished, I much prefer a long MP3 playlist. Still, I will NEVER sell my collection and I advise everyone not too either, and for 2 reasons. A CD collection is like a book collection. When you come someone's place you don't know (much) for the first time and you stand or sit there a little uncomfortably what do you when you see a CD or book collection? You go check it out. Not only are they great conversation starters, they are also an insight into a person that tells you so much about. A great book collection used to be a sign of education and character, the same applies to a CD or LP collection. Spotify or iTunes can never replace that, if anything they are a step backwards in that regard. And secondly, what the internet giveth, the internet can taketh away. Do NOT rely on streaming services to be your music and/or movie libraries, because they are fickle and they can and do change existing content to fit the current climate. Always strive to get your favorite media on hard copies, lest some company will censor it to appease cultural philistines.

davegodby and Nahtabot like this.
  7. miotch

miotch TDPRI Member

I remember this same conversation about albums many years ago. I’m keeping mine (for now) packed in boxes. Never had a digital storage system of any type that didn’t eventually fail. I suspect they are better now, but I’m still a scaredy-cat

8. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I'd hang on to them. If vinyl can make a comeback, I see no reason why CDs cannot. I have a vinyl & CD collection & I'll just keep them before I give them away. I may have to get rid of them someday, but not today.

mmannaxx, EllroyJames and Nahtabot like this.
  9. omstrat

omstrat TDPRI Member

Wait 80 years or so and then they will be a novelty item..Probably get a buck a piece then .

NICQ and MyLittleEye like this.
  10. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Keep in mind something called "bitrate". Bitrate is measured in kilobits per second.

The best streaming audio does not even come close to the 1,411 (@16 bit) kbps of compact discs.

Yeah, CD's are pain to store and don't have much monetary value but their worth is the archival quality of the original studio or live recording.

You had to have 'em - just keep 'em :twisted:

ThermionicScott likes this.
  11. spud627

spud627 TDPRI Member

50c to $1 each in bulk, maybe a bit more. I buy collections and while they do sell and some have good value, many end up being donations simply because there are so many copies available. Hit me up on [email protected], maybe we can work a deal and you mail them to me. You can list them on discogs pretty easily if you want to keep them around and go into the shipping business.

thanks!

12. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

You can pair down the space taken by CD's, by removing the jewel case & place the CD in designated plastic sleeves. It took the space used to store my cd collection by 2/3rds. I kept the audiophile cd's in their original fancy cases.

13. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I agree with Nahtabot. Keep them and listen to them. I went back to actually listening to music properly 3 years ago. By this I mean listening like we did in the days when music had more value, and before people found mp3s, streaming, and Youtube encoding acceptable. I choose quality over convenience.

I bought a Marantz 2220 to improve my experience listening to vinyl. Then I bought a new quality Yamaha CD player so I could listen to my CDs properly. CDs and Vinyl sound better than mp3 and Youtube. They sound even better on a good stereo system.

I feel it is better to hear an album as the artists intended, and in the sequence they wanted you to experience.

Marc Morfei, Nahtabot and czech-one-2 like this.
  14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't played a CD in 3-4 years, whether for myself or a client. Goes for DVD's as well. IMO, you would be better off copying your CD's to a 1-2 TB network drive & yard sale the discs. CD's do not seem to retain value, much less appreciate like LP's do.

15. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Good call, timeless music!

16. MLJ1

MLJ1 TDPRI Member

I would rather have a CD than a download. CDs Sound better than mp3 downloads, period. They are 44100 KHZ at 16 bits, mp3 downloads are far less resolution, given that, I would rather have pristine Vinyl with a great turntable than a CD.
    I can hear the difference. I have been recording for over 30 years. When I started it was Tape, then 20 bit digital. The 20 bit, was not as good as 24 bit digital, and I could hear the difference. We've given up quality for convenience with downloads. I would rather have the best quality source, record it to digital with my DAW, and use it how ever I need by converting it to whatever resolution I want or need. I will keep my CDs, in fact, I seek them out. To each his own is my motto, if you want to slam me, go ahead, I don't care. Merry Xmas.

Lashdog, Nahtabot and fjblair like this.
  17. yamatele

yamatele TDPRI Member

Half Price Books is a TOTAL RIP OFF - don't waste your time with them. - they prey on the dumb & lazy. I'm in the biz(40+yrs) and I can tell you that it all depends upon the title and condition.

18. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I have around 800. I play them and will never sell them, but if I did it would be as a package deal. No way I'm going to list and ship individual cd's. Life is too short, lol.

Marc Morfei and Nahtabot like this.
  19. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I was streaming high def last night. It sounded fantastic. Then I started playing a few cd's. The cd always wins.

mmannaxx and Marc Morfei like this.
  20. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Half Price Books is the last place I would go. I'd keep all mine before selling them on the cheap to them. Just saying!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.