1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Is My CD Collection Worth?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Hoodster, Dec 23, 2020.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

One of the last places that sold used CDs around here (now they're closed) stopped taking them at all.. eventually whittled it down to where they stopped selling them. They took up space in the shop, and nobody bought them. I certainly did love browsing through the selection, though.

Lots of music memories, and by the last time I shopped there, it was either 2 or 4 CDs of my choice for a dollar, total.

Very little practical use for hard-copy music anymore. The only place I've seen them in the past few years, are thrift shops and yard sales.

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

If they are decent and popular artists I would hang onto them for another 10 years.....

Remember when loads of people sold all their records for next to nothing? I do because I was buying them ;)

Bill in VA likes this.
  3. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

they most def have high value to me as my ears prefer the old cd's compared to reissues and remastered etc

just personal preference

4. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

So.... Keep my Betamax tapes for now?

Deeve likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Yea, I think someone mentioned it here, and I looked up what I thought was 5 figures in the closet, and completely deflated, maybe worth 50 bucks. It was in the context of generational values, and products that age out as owners die, and the next gen rejects...like CDs.

6. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

I sure hope you're right!

7. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

A painstaking solution would be to enter the whole collection on Discogs. If you have any rarities, special editions or audiophile stuff, it may be worth the hassle.

I sold about 1,000 CDs a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised that some of them fetched much more than I had paid.

ThermionicScott and Hoodster like this.
  8. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

That box of CDs and a big ol’ box of Beanie Babies ought to get you halfway to a large cup of coffee at your local fancy, fresh coffee emporium.

Marc Morfei and black_doug like this.
  9. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Never going to happen.

There might be a revival for original CD booklets, however.

Marc Morfei and Whatizitman like this.
  10. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I still play and purchase them. I like having physical media. I’ll eventually copy them to a hard drive for the old age home. :D

You can donate them to Goodwill or Salvation Army and take a tax write off but I’d double check with an accountant first.

FenderLover and Chiogtr4x like this.
  11. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

If you have any Danny Gatton CD's in there I'd be willing to purchase for a fair price!;)

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I like the little pamphlets and liner notes too!
    I know I spent a lot of $$ on these things, but still value the great music

I have a 6-disc changer/ Bose system in my car ( used car, just came with this stuff)

And ( my rules, ha!):

Disc #1- just Bob Dylan
    #2- just Grateful Dead
    #3- open spot for Country/Folk/ Bluegrass
    #4- Steely Dan
    #5- open spot- Rock or Blues
    #6- open spot- Jazz

* I keep 2 CD wallets with about 80 discs in the car
    I drive a lot , Uber/gigs

Greggorios likes this.
  13. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting thread. Does no one really want to own physical media any more? Are you all really that happy with MP3 downloads, or do you just not listen to music any more? Not many of us own full-blown stereo systems any more, so I'm curious.

Anyone got a Toys in the Attic SACD for a couple bucks? They still go for $150-$200 on eBay last I looked.

Rocky058, Wallo Tweed and Greggorios like this.
  14. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Does your car player read MP3? For car audio MP3 is plenty good enough, and you can fit all of those on a couple discs. What I like to do is give them away and just burn another one.

Greggorios and Chiogtr4x like this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Yes ( I'm behind the times, and figured this out)
    I lent a fellow Deadhead ( bass player buddy), a few of my favorite 3-disc Dead shows, and he put them on 1 disc each!

He's done the same for some of the 2 or 3 hour gigs that we have played and recorded so I can listen to myself in the car! Cranked!

16. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

I decided to focus only on vinyl.

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Not worth much.

Discogs is your best bet, if you are willing to take the time.

Never gave up vinyl when CDs came in.

Never gave up CDs when Media Player and iTunes came in.

I don't care too much about format...but I am not going to replace something that still works fine. I will add new music in different formats, but generally won't "replace" the old formats with new ones.

That said, CDs were great for the car. I liked grabbing a half dozen CDs and keeping them in rotation in the car for a while. So I do have much doubling from vinyl to CD. Classic albums. Stones, Beatles, etc. – just to have easy access to them in the car.

My new car as of six years ago doesn't have a CD player, though. I hate searching through the SD card that is loaded up with all my iTunes music. I much preferred just grabbing whatever CDs I wanted for the day.

Still got it all. A few thousand vinyl discs, and several hundred CDs. Would like to downsize the vinyl. About five years ago, I organized it really well, sleeved everything uniformly, and narrowed it down to only stuff that was in great condition. Ended up liquidating, donating, gifting, or tossing 30 or 40 percent of my LPs. Battered vinyl is worthless to me. If the vinyl disc isn't in near perfect condition, I'd rather listen to a well mastered CD. I'd like to make another pass in the next year or so, to purge out doubles, some collectible/valuable stuff that belongs with someone who would appreciate it more, and some stuff that I like, but don't necessarily need to own on LP.

If you are in L.A., I know a great vinyl liquidator. He takes about 50 percent, but handles everything. Good guy.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    teleman1 and FenderLover like this.
  18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yup. There is very little “vintage” value is of CDs, if any. When we talk about the coolness of analog media like vinyl, we're not just talking about sound. We’re also referring to the physical separation of digital and analog use. CDs require A/D and D/A conversion to even play. By the end of the 90s, that meant that anyone with a PC could make a 1:1 digital copy. No additional dubbing or recording required. Didn’t even have to play it. A few seconds to rip it. Done.

Once it was a digital audio file, all bets were off as to the tangible value of the recording. Of course, vinyl could be converted. But the age of mp3s and Napster made ID/tagging inevitable. When you rip a CD now the interweb instantly matches the ID, song title, artist, etc... Essentially, the ripped song is now no different digitally than what is “legally” streamed on Pandora or Spotify. That’s impossible with a dubbed recording.

Where’s the value in that? To me, that has about as much “vintage” mojo and value as a 90s Line 6 amp.

Can’t speak for everyone. But the fact that my old Fender amps don’t have a USB port is part of the charm.

19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

No physical player in the car. Has a USB jack for MP3, but reads and indexes every time you start the car. And has a limit of maybe 15k songs anyway.

My plan to put everything on an external drive in the car failed because iff took hours for the first song to play.

20. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Biggest difference between vinyl and CD is people have been able to make CDs at home since the mid 90's, and vinyl burners aren't a thing.

It tries. I have absolutely zero confidence in the maniacs who have "helped" compile the databases for ID3 tags over the years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.