1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Is My CD Collection Worth?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Hoodster, Dec 23, 2020.

1. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I donated all my CDs (6 large boxes) to a local resale shop
    that helps local charities.
    All my LPs were left with my ex-wife, by oversight.
    She moved and threw them in the trash without telling
    me.
    More recently, I sold ~25 large boxes of books to 1/2Price
    Books for a song.
    I was moving from a large house to a one bed room apartment
    and there is no room.
    Almost forgot about DVDs. Sold all but about ten rare disks.
    Almost everything is streamed now.
    It is not easy to give up.... stuff!

Mark

Edit: next up, guitars. I want to get down to one electric and one acoustic.
    This means selling one acoustic and three electrics.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Unless you have really rare and out of print stuff, that isn’t available anywhere, including online for download or streaming, it’s worth exactly nothing IMO. I put 300 out for sale at a massive street sale/flea market thing last year and sold two. For $1 each. Several other people were selling vinyl and sold out of just about everything they brought. The world has changed. Nobody wants CDs.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  3. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Not much to add that hasn't been said - one or two things to keep in mind:

Not everything that made print is available online or via streaming service. CDs go 'out of print' just like books do. If you have a disc from a local band, and/or from one of the smaller labels they will be worth more to someone (or you may decide to keep them).

Not sure what part of OR you are in, but we lost power here in PDX for a day+ during that last windstorm back in Sept. I have a genny, but the cell towers and internet carriers were down for a little while as well. I lost internet access and all the tunes that came with it --- So the missus and I listened to CDs to pass the time :)

ETA - @Jakedog our messages hit at nearly the same time.

Bill in VA and Jakedog like this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Spend a day on discogs to weed out any that have value. The rest are 50p or equivalent if you sell bulk, more as individuals on Ebay.
    Once you have whittled the pile down to those that may have value above pocket lint, scour Ebay again for what they actually sold for. Amazon is another good place to look.
    You may think your entire recorded collection of a band is worth a fortune, but which fan would want to repeat half their collection to get a gem?
    Some classical works fetch really good money. Deutsche Grammophon recordings are valued generally, but then look for the conductor or soloist. Naxos, despite their deserved reputation for high quality recordings don't fetch anywhere near as much, to give to examples. I tend to buy second hand Naxos :)
    Rip them to FLAC before parting with them though.

ThermionicScott likes this.
  5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Keep them, in 40 years time there will be a CD nostalgia revival and people will then pay good money.

Today it's an obsolete format.

6. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have thousands of CDs and still buy them. I do download them to ITunes and then to either my phone or IPod touch. I still like to own my music and program specifically what I want to listen to. Especially when I mow my grass. I also still have a 300 disc Sony CD changer. Still working!

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I pay $1 - $2 at thrift shops and antique malls in Seattle. For a particular hard to find CD I've gone as high as $8 on ebay.

Rocky058 and Bill in VA like this.
  8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

By my estimates, I would say "not worth any effort to sell whatsoever."

Every year or so I look at our big stash, and wonder what do with it. Every year I get closer to trash or Goodwill being the answer.

I have a very emotional connection to most of them. But the longer I go without actually pulling them out and listening to them the easier it feels to cut the umbilical. The music will always be available. The internet made that a certainty.

teletail and Hoodster like this.
  9. Whatizitman

Yeah, doubtful.

I don't even want my own demos from way back when.

black_doug and teletail like this.
  10. Wizweird

Wizweird TDPRI Member

There's always those cds that fetch a bit more. I have copies of dark side of the moon, wish you were here, and the wall in 24 carat gold ultra disc. And a copy of master of puppets, also in gold disc. Then, of course, there's that foghat disc with the original members autographs on back.....but I digress..just saying look them over before you sell

11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

OP here, Thanks for all the great responses.

Again, I would never sell them without burning them to my computer first, which is done, (and also backed up on a 160 gig iPod touch and an external hard drive), so Internet outages are not a problem.

About 10 years ago I sold my wife’s modest vinyl collection combined with my extensive cassette collection (lol) for $100 bulk.

I think I’m probably headed in the same direction here.

12. Whatizitman

I stopped doing this years ago. Never got through all my CDs, anyway. Now it's just easier to pull up youtube or spotify or whatever. The last time I got a new phone, iTunes never synced/downloaded everything off my PC properly, for whatever reason. I haven't gone back to fix it. I just don't use it. Spotify has almost everything I ever owned, and far more that I haven't.

That, and I got REALLY tired of transferring hard drives from PC to PC, making back up just for music files.

We're way past CDs being obsolete. We're at the point where ripping and archiving them is no longer necessary, or even preferable.

13. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

I am still only buying CDs. It is the only format I buy music in...period.

As far as the value, do some research on Discogs etc. Some might be worth some money if you have rare releases or out of print ones.

I have many rare ones and ones out of print. Sometimes, titles are only available for a few months to a year. As a collector of music, I have waited years for some to be released on CD.

CD format to me makes the most sense to collect. I love music and I treat my CDs like they are vinyl.

CDs are not as collectible as vinyl, but some are collectible.

I am not a passive listener to music, so I don't listen to music on a phone etc. I listen to it through high end equipment or in my car. For the car, I rip copies in .wav format to play. The originals only get played on home system.

To rip, I only use an ODD with a fixed spindle, like what a notebook has so I don't scratch the CD.

Rocky058 likes this.
  14. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

If you sell the original disc to someone else, the rights to use the material goes with it to the new owner. Technically, that would make the copy on your PC illegal because there are two copies of the material in the hands of two different people and the artist only got paid for one.

Since I still listen to what's in my collection, I got rid of the jewel cases and keep the discs and liners in an aluminum case that holds the thousand or so I have in much less space.

AAT65 and Ivorytooth like this.
  15. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

A couple years ago my kids wanted some tinny little cheapo bluetooth speakers. Instead I went to the thrift store and bought a couple of $10 boomboxes, came home and dragged my CD collection out of the closet. My daughter picked out the Metallica and Green Day discs, among others, and my son grabbed the Black Crowes and Anthrax.

Now I get to walk through the house with some of the best music of my youth blasting out from behind bedroom doors.

So my answer is, "Invaluable."

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

10 to 12 dollars is cheap

I remember when buying new releases they were usually close to 20 or sometimes even more

Now days I imagine with all the music you could want available for very little cost/free the average cd is probably about a dollar now

Maybe in 10 years or so there will be a renewed interest like with records

That’s the time to sell

I like having a physical copy and cds are fine with me

17. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Technically you’re right and that’s why no one can make a living selling albums anymore

Why buy something! It’s on the computer!

18. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

What happened to stamps?

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Philately is about dead. So few folks left, and tons of collections have made them worthless.

20. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

After I posted, i looked up two articles on the subject and found what I suspected.
    1) Nowhere near as much stamped mail being sent. Particularly things like airmail or specialty mail. In lieu of actual stamps, the PO just prints out postage. Large amounts of communication that used to be in writing now email/text/PDF and sent electronically.
    2) Fewer collectors
    3) More special issues of stamps “for collectors”. Bigger printing volumes into a smaller market.
    4) More “hard to find” stamps survive than originally thought. Internet has folks looking through old drawers at home to find unused stamps.

Frankly, I hadn’t given it much thought, but was just a little surprised when you mentioned it.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread on CD worth....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.