What is making this beautiful noise?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by '59 NOS, Jan 26, 2010.

1. '59 NOS

'59 NOS TDPRI Member

Yeah, he's referencing that song.

For those across the pond, Jools Hollands show format is a number of different bands/artists each week in one big studio and they take turns to do their thing. I'm nearly 100% the kit in the background (including the Orange and any other stacks) is other bands stuff.

To me it's total Fender but what do I know.

His cable goes off behind him where it looks like there's a smallish Fender head on the floor (just noticed it near the end) next to one of the many floor monitors.

A Champ though, is a very good call.

2. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

That's exactly what I thought when I heard him say that :D

3. Jack Knife

For all you guys saying it's an Orange or AxeFX and such, didn't you notice this clips is from 1996?

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Hate to be the Wet Blanket here...but let's be Real, it's his Playing style, plain & simple...it could be any Damn Amp on the Planet...YMMV

5. jimmynumber9

jimmynumber9 Tele-Afflicted

Actually Orange amps were around before 1996. fyi Only by about thirty years though.

6. rp1138

rp1138 Tele-Meister

That's what I was thinking, too. In fact, as soon as he said that, I thought "Oh, ****, he's gonna smash it. Please don't."

7. Stewart Ward

Stewart Ward Banned

Except for a break of about eighteen years, when they were not in production at all. Cliff Cooper (A London music retailer in Denmark Street) resurected the brand in the late nineteen eighties. They are made now by contractors in various parts of the world - no factory of their own, I'm told. The quality of the cabinet covering is not to a very high standard allegedly. But this is what tends to happen when retailers get involved with manufacturing, sadly!

8. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Tele-Meister

Townshend is one of those players that can get the sound he wants out of pretty much any equipment he's playing, and the reference to the perfectly good guitar is that he wont smash it, in fact he's had that guitar for quite some time.

Ive always assumed he's pointed to that orange stack at the beginning, and last night I plugged into an orange (unfortunately not a retro 50) with a 52ri tele turned it up and let loose on various a chords - the sound is quite similar.

Orange quite often give amps and things to artists, I know of one very early orange user who opened his door one morning and was literally handed a 40th anniversary ltd edition half stack, which now sits in his living room! I doubt very much that townshend would have had to buy anything from orange..

9. doggy1972

doggy1972 Tele-Meister

10. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

As CI Slater said in "Only Fools And Horses" (hope you all know what that is):

According to you and your family, we are looking
    for a 6ft 7in dwarf, aged between 15 and 50,
    a white male with oriental features, who's as
    black as Newgate's knocker!

:lol:

11. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Tele-Meister

ok Ive over geeked this!!:eek:

the other acts on that show were:

Ben Folds Five (piano)
    James Dean Bradfield
    Sean Moore
    Darius Rucker
    and jools holland himself

the only other amp Ive found is a vox being used by the manics guy, so the orange stack is townshends, and the other tracks hes performing look like they were done on an accoustic... Sorry cant tell you what model amp it is!!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  12. gregorypause

gregorypause Tele-Meister

Cool :cool:. Similar sounds out of a Strat:

13. Jack Knife

Yes, I know that. I was making reference to the post saying it was a 40th Anniversary model.

14. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty shure the Mesa's were in the rack right behind him.

15. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Tele-Meister

I doubt he would have had t hat setup for jools holland - the kind of ethos for the show is plug and play (other than john frusciante who bought the biggest pedal board Ive ever seen)...

The info in that link is for the quadrophenia stage tour, according to that he doesnt play the tele hes obviously playing...

16. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Look:

Attached Files:

• PT.jpg
      PT.jpg
      File size:
      32.6 KB
      Views:
  17. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Tele-Meister

Apologies - posted before Id read it properly...:rolleyes:

Personally I still think hes going through that orange as (a) its on and (b) no one else was using it that show...

Nice quote from pete about that tele though:

From Guitar Player, August 1996

I’m standing up there at the shows that I’m doing, and I’m carrying this ’52 Telecaster. It’s a California guitar. It’s a masterpiece. Thank God for America. Thank God for Leo, it’s a beautiful guitar. I play it like a chainsaw, and it’s still beautiful. This is a perfectly good guitar. Somebody said to me the other night, “Smash it.” I never would. You have to realize that most of the guitars I’ve smashed have not been perfectly good guitars — they’ve been junk, really.

18. jjmantele

jjmantele Tele-Holic

I remember watching that episode about a year or 2 ago. I was perplexed that it sounded so much like a small combo yet he pointed to an orange stack. I kept looking for the combo on the ground. As mentioned I think this was the only electric song so it seemed strange to not use a small combo. Not that he would have to carry any of it.

19. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

As I mentioned before, there's someone right in front of the Orange stack when he starts to play. I think that if he was using that, the person will have moved when he started playing. Also, there's a Marshall head in the stage as well.
    But I might be wrong...

20. stevesz

stevesz Tele-Holic

I watched it again, and I think you're right,.... his chord just goes down to that Mesa rack and since it was 1996 I'm pretty sure the "cool" thing to do at the time was take rack stuff direct to everything. So he's probably hearing the tilted wedge that's behind him and the tone for the broadcast is a combination of his mic and the direct feed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.