What is it with all these tribute bands?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Feb 21, 2020.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Watching a band cover another band's music exactly is 'tradition'?

2. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Skull and Roses Festival in Ventura. You get to hear the hits repeated by a a half dozen bands, some of which are quite good.

https://skullandroses.com/line-up/

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

We have a tradition of cover bands going back as long as I can remember here in New England.

Clubs didn't have their own P.A. systems or lights. We carried our own P.A., monitors and lighting systems. That old analog gear is heavy. Old school halogen lights suck power. Still, we had two follow spots, a couple thousand watts out front and a coule thousand more on the monitors. And we played "Top 40" covers.

I guess Aerosmith and Boston made it 'cuz they didn't.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

tribute shows are for halloween night.

5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I was just talking to a guy who was in a pro, original touring band and he said he burned out because they had to play exactly the same show every night. It felt like working in a factory pumping out widgets. So unless you play in a jam band or jazz band or a band that keeps things loose then to some extent any band can feel like you’re in a tribute band. No wonder so many touring musicians end up drinking and doing drugs....

6. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I think one of you should start a “1910 Fruitgum Company” tribute band.

Not me, I’m busy. I’ve got stuff to do.

But it would certainly make a fine opportunity for one of you guys. :lol:

7. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Here's my take.

I play music for the love of playing music, not for money.

I don't enjoy playing covers to watching cover or tribute bands. I don't mind occasionally playing or seeing a cover song if the band does an interesting spin on it.

I don't think classic rock bands are the only music worth seeing or that all new music is rubbish. The world is far more interesting than that. I would much rather see some young kids giving it a go and making mistakes and trying to do something original and interesting, than a slick group of virtuosos playing the same old songs I've heard 100 times before.

Bars are businesses which are out to make money, so they are going to book bands that pull in punters, which in many cases is cover or tribute bands.

I'm in the minority and lots of people enjoy playing or watching cover and tributes bands. I'm okay with that, whatever floats your boat.

8. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

There’s still good music out there, you just have to look for it.

What has changed is what gets called to the attention of the masses. You won’t hear the good stuff unless you seek it out.

There’s some real talent among the younger generations. And thankfully, I have two daughters and a wife who make sure that the old man at least gives things a listen. And they’re delighted if I like it, which I often do.

The younger generations are just as talented as my own generation, maybe more so. But you have to find them. They’re not out in the mainstream like they were back in my days. The world isn’t seeking talent and creativity these days. It wants personality cults.

But talent and creativity are alive and well. Just look for it.

Steve 78 likes this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Soundcloud and other places on the Internet are filled with amazing music. It seems that for the vast majority of musicians they will just do it for the love of it and share with friends and whatever small, local fan base they can build. Only a very few will be able to make a living at it, and an even smaller number will make a good living at it. A very, tiny, tiny few will actually get rich doing it. It helps to be good looking, young, great at social media, to be able to write great music, and to have an interesting back story. But even then....

My clarinet teacher told me the tale of a friend of his who was a very talented jazz sax player, got tired of the scene and how hard it was to make a living and have a family, being on the road all the time, crappy pay, etc. So he went into the woodshed for about 3 years and came out good enough on the bassoon that he was able to land a seat in a second tier orchestra in a smaller city. Union wages, steady job, very limited travel. Classical music may be one of the last places that enough practicing will predictably pay off--- but even then there's incredible competition for any slot.

10. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I've only read a few of the responses, but my first thought was, maybe its because people have not heard much or any music lately that they enjoy or relate to...
    We all like to relive our glory days and the music that defined our generation. Its only natural.

Bash the Baby Boomers and Classic Rock all you want, but I will bet dollars to donuts that any of the songs on the radio today (or since the 90's) won't be played on the radio 20 years from now.

Today's Country is bland, soft rock with cowboy hats. Pop music is mostly a dance exhibition...ask your average fan to hum the melody of a Katy Perry or Beyonce song and I'll bet they couldn't do it. Much (though not all) hiphop that I have heard lacks a melody or else samples someone else's music.

I recently went to see Lynyrd Skynyrd...a good show, but really...Gary Rossington is the only original member...and Donnie VanZant talks the lyrics waaay too much, holds the mic up for the audience to sing, blah blah blah. Sounds nothing like Ronnie. A good Skynyrd tribute band can play the songs more accurately and the vocals sound better...to me.

I refuse to pay hundreds of $$ to see the Eagles or any other big name band in a sports stadium, with crappy sound that I have to look at the Jumbotron to see.

I'd much rather hear a decent local band in a bar or small venue...if they play stuff I wanna hear.
    Let's face it...not everyone is cut out to write and play originals that others want to pay to hear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.