What is it with all these tribute bands?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Feb 21, 2020.

1. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

duplicate

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. pickaguitar

Not if played originally and live.

I live in Dallas. All venues are licensed regardless of whose playing or what

Every venue I've played in my entire life was licensed. The fee is so they CAN play the actual original artists music

The club itself could care less what my band tries to play.

Rockinvet likes this.
  3. pickaguitar

(I wish there was a delete post feature so this space would be gone :) )

4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I suggest you read this: https://www.cmaa.org/PcsTemplate.aspx?id=36295

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

If the club has its licenses paid, sure, they don't care what you play. But that's because they've got the licenses.

nojazzhere and pickaguitar like this.
  6. pickaguitar

Ron R and nojazzhere like this.
  7. pickaguitar

What club doesn't pay the fee? I've personally have never run across it

8. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I play in a Steve Miller Band tribute band. After doing this in theaters filled with people who paid to see the show I’ll never play another bar where most patrons could not care any less that there was a band playing.

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I personally wouldn't be in a tribute band (too hard!!). I've seen a few and enjoyed it. Seeing guys that
    put the work in that's required to perfectly nail a Rush, Pink Floyd, or Led Zep song is actually very impressive to me.
    I've never had the patience. I play in an original band now, but when I used to play in cover bands I almost never
    tried to learn any solo exactly note for note. I was too lazy, mostly. And let's face it-- it is very hard to exactly nail another
    player's solo, especially if they are really good. Not only do you have to figure it out, but a lot of times their natural
    style of phrasing is really different from one's own. It's like being a good voice impressionist- not easy at all.

At least it's easier nowadays-- any number of YouTube videos that will show you note-for-note breakdowns of famous
    guitar parts. But even if there's a great YouTube video of Eruption, it's still going to take many, many hours of practice
    to actually nail it.

kookaburra and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

None that I know of personally, but I'm sure they're out there. There was at least one in these parts that only wanted to hire bands that either played only original material or had their own licensing. Which in and of itself was a big red flag about just how cheap the people you were dealing with were.

The good news is, even if you were to play in one that hasn't paid up, and word got back to say BMI, they'd be going after the club to pay restitution.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a friend my age who sings/plays in a classic rock tribute act. They will work for months on something like
    Neil Young, and then they will do a big concert where they play only that music, and they try to make it as accurate as
    possible, though they don't try to look the part. They're charging $25 a ticket, $45 per VIP ticket, and are filling up
    a roughly 400 seat venue. That's pretty dang impressive, and I have to give them props because they spend a LOT of
    time getting the songs up to snuff.

I've only had the opportunity to play in front of large audiences who were actually paying attention a few times--
    at outdoor festivals, and it is definitely a lot of fun. I can see the attraction for musicians-- good money, great audience,
    maybe that is worth the work. No wonder they are willing to do it.

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Well, I certainly don't take it personally. As much as I love to write and play my own music, it's enough for me to slap something together in my DAW, and upload it the cybers, to be ultimately ignored by the known universe. I don't particularly dig poor or derivative original songs and performances by others. In turn, I don't expect anything from the rest of the world for my own poor and derivative contributions. Just one of a zillion other musicians making (fairly similar) noises.

As a result, I don't play out much. In fact, when I do, it's usually playing my buddy's original songs. Or we're playing covers - usually one he picks. I'm good with that cuz I love playing with him. I save my own songs for the marmorated stink bugs in my basement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

For part of his working year my brother-in-law plays keys/guitar/vocals in a Liverpool-based F.Mac tribute band. Late last year they did a 36-date North America tour -- big venues, large audiences from Montreal down to Florida then across the mid-west and finally the west coast. They'll kick-off another UK tour in a month or so. Their shows are introduced by a video from Mick Fleetwood so they must be doing something right -- he even turned up at one of their gigs and got up on the kit for a while. I have to say that personally I prefer the Peter Green section of the show (showing my age), but they cover the whole Mac shebang and do it very well. No Crowded House or Heartbreakers songs though!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf2e3qOXk2Q

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLJLIbzdTNE

John Nicholas likes this.
  14. pickaguitar

Everything comes from somewhere...
    There are only 12 notes in western music and 26 letters in the alphabet. What you are describing is what many successful artists have been doing since forever imo. Change a chord, timing, key, melody and subject/words...disguise it a bit and then it's yours

15. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think I'd go with 12 notes in western music :)

16. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Paul McCartney with any other musicians is not a tribute band, he cowrote the music, with a few exceptions- makes him an original, IMHO.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

I saw what you did there, you chromaticist, you!:p:D

pickaguitar and MattyK-USA like this.
  18. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I saw a Kiss tribute band about thirty years ago. They were stunningly good musicians, in full costume, and with pyrotechnics - a complete and convincing KISS SHOW - in a venue of about 500 people. It was much better than actually seeing Kiss, who kind of suck, frankly.
    These guys nailed every aspect, except they played better, improved versions of each song.

Best part? Headliner was Shonen Knife, which is why I went in the first place.

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Thank you, Chris for being so honest. I've said for ages that many (not all, of course) people who rail against doing accurate covers are either lazy....or just not capable of "replicating" a song. Can you imagine a violinist in an orchestra telling the conductor that he won't play Beethoven's written notes because he wants to do it "his way"? It IS hard to learn solos note for note.....but I find in doing so I'm forced to become a better guitarist and musician.
    BTW.....I'd never try to do Eruption. Ain't.Gonna.Happen. ;)

archtop_fjk likes this.
  20. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Someday there will be tribute bands for popular tribute bands. It’s like a batch of good sourdough starter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.