What is it with all these tribute bands?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I used to go see a Zeppelin Tribute band play at different bars around town when I was 14 yo, they were great. I have no problems seeing tribute bands as long as they do the songs justice. I've tried to get a couple of tribute bands going myself in the past but it's not easy finding others on the same page and level. I have a few favourite bands that I wouldn't mind playing their songs exclusively.
    It would be more fun to do 4 sets as four different tributes.

The tribute thing doesn't surprise me, most musicians are the biggest fans of whatever band or artist influenced them and made them take up their instruments in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Does anyone know how the legal side works with Tribute bands? I mean royalties, copyrights, etc.? Or is it just “anything goes”?

3. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Hey, if you're getting paid to do a tribute show, more power to you. Just not my cup of meat.

One time a few years back, I had a clerk in the store tell me "My Dad is in a John Prine tribute band." I said "Who is your Dad?" Turns out it was my old band, re-branded, LOL.

Bruxist, Tommy Biggs and Greggorios like this.
  4. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Waco had an Eagles tribute band play for the 4th of July. They nailed it. Vocals, music. It was good. It was also free (or at least no charge over the property and sales taxes I pay).

5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

huh?
    It's like any music in a club...as long as you create it yourself and don't directly sample it's all yours to play.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know you, and haven't heard your original material, so PLEASE don't take this personally......but MOST of the bands I hear playing original songs are just AWFUL. They THINK they're original because they wrote a song that plays off a popular song or genre, but changes one or two chords, new lyrics, and is maybe a little faster or slower tempo, and then thinks they're unique.....but THAT'S NOT ORIGINAL. It takes amazing skill to compile all of your influences and then write a fresh, unique song that isn't plagiaristic.
    Like you (Northern Tele) I detest bands that play second rate versions of cover songs......but I also detest bands that play second (and third) rate ORIGINAL songs. I understand leaving a band because of being bored with the material, but there's TONS of good material out there that I bet you haven't done. You can be creative WITHIN the context of a cover song, but you have to be talented enough to find that creativity.
    Again.....I'm NOT passing judgement on anyone in particular (especially Northern Tele) but just sharing my perspective. ;)

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Legally, a "for profit" club has to pay licensing fees. It's usually not the responsibility of the band, but "someone" has to pay.

Rick330man, Rockinvet and mfguitar like this.
  8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

They have to pay licensing to play the actual music...like a jukebox or through the pa

Not to cover/recreate music from scratch.

9. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure the successful tribute bands are paying monetary tribute to the original bands.

And in the bars and nightclubs, even though the bands might not be paying ASCAP and BMI, rest assured the venue is paying a license fee.

nojazzhere and Ron R like this.
  10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I don't mind tribute acts, but I don;t seek them out or follow around.
    Some I've seen
    Local LZ act doesn't dress the part but nail the music,,,it was awesome.
    Local Prince tribute dresses and acts the part...it was awesome.
    Local U2 tribute...sorta not great.
    Local Rush tribute act is right on the money and starting to do theatres.

If done well you can play showcase/headline/festival gigs and not have to slog it in bars.
    I say go for it. It's called entertainment.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I don't really care for them, but hey, if they are doing it in the proper way, i say why not. Since you can't catch AC/DC with the original line up any more, not talking about bands where all the members are dead....
    I don't care much for classic rock either.
    A good Elvis impersonator marrying you and your girl in las vegas is a good thing right ?

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I personally don’t like it or “get it”...I’ve seen a couple and went away feeling duped, even though the musicianship was spot-on in both cases.

Another problem I have with them is that they’ll get gigs that an original (or even a cover band) won’t get. There’s a lot of older 2nd-tier acts that no longer play D/FW because the tribute band copying them is playing cheaper in what would be the proper venue for them (Larger clubs and theaters).

It also leads to a lack of original music...which drives me nuts. I’d rather hear a good original song than a great cover (that’s just me).

The way I feel about tribute bands...you’ve shown me you can emulate somebody, now show me “Second Gear”...what can you do?

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A few members of the local Zeppelin tribute band I used to sneak out and see in my teens recently did a small European tour with a orchestra backing them up. They've been together for over 40 years. I don't think they would be in the same position if they hadn't been a tribute band. I think I was at this show back in 86. Bar in the city with about 80 people in the audience on a Monday night.

14. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Sure, in a perfect world, we'd all write amazing fresh original songs with an awesome band, and buzz would spread and we'd pack anyplace we played delivering our own material. Not happening much...

This discussion is really less about what all of us WANT to play, but frankly more about what venue management wants us to play - which is music that makes for happy patrons paying fat bar tabs racked up over a couple hours in their establishment. And the bar-going 20-30yr old patrons these days want music they know (as apparently do many aging classic rock fans). It's that simple.

A number of years ago, my band busted our ass and cajoled at least about 300 of our friends and more of their friends to pretty much fill up the Cubby Bear in Chicago for a long set of our original material. Cubby Bear paid us $50. The whole band. Did it again at Double Door. $100.

Then we found we were not getting booked much and all the venues wanted cover bands. So we adapted. Now the same 4 guys play in a Country cover band to packed rooms of young adults have a blast singing along to every word, the band gets paid $1K on average, and we're booked as much as we want.

Hmmmm.

John Nicholas, nojazzhere and EJG1 like this.
  15. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I guess it's not surprising that there are a variety of positions on this, much like music in general.

For me, anyway, I love tribute bands that nail the material. I remember seeing Crystal Ship in the late '70's and loving every minute of it - especially because you weren't going to hear the original play live ever again. Bands like the Brooklyn Charmers take me on a great trip down memory lane.

So what about when Heart plays Led Zep? Does that suck too? Because they're tributing their talented hearts out, baby (pun intended), when they play that stuff!

John Nicholas and nojazzhere like this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I would like to see Brit Floyd. They are suppose to be pretty good.

John Nicholas likes this.
  17. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

I blame sha-na-na.... things were never the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uriah1 likes this.
  18. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I find it to be an interesting phenomenon. Tribute shows have always been around but not to the extent that I see it now. It has branched out where local artists are performing particular albums or recreating shows. Its not my cup of tea but hard to argue with success.

19. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

No sir, not correct. If there is published music being played in the establishment, they have to pay licensing fees. Having a live band play it does not provide an exemption.

Here's some reference material for you. https://www.cmaa.org/PcsTemplate.aspx?id=36295

Excerpt:
    Does My Club Need to Pay All Three Agencies?

Buying a license from one performing rights organization, such as ASCAP, will not protect a business from liability for unauthorized performance of songs in BMI's repertoire or in SESAC’s repertoire. So unless you are sure that the only music to be performed at your club (in any form and by any live band, disc jockey or other performer) will be strictly limited to those works specifically covered by the single blanket license you hold, you are at risk of copyright infringement for the performance of music listed in the repertoires of other agencies.

Rockinvet and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

It's not really my thing, but it doesn't bother me. Like other posters have mentioned, for fans of these legacy acts tribute bands may be the best way to experience something close to the original. And as other posters have mentioned, many legacy acts themselves are close to tribute bands bands themselves.

Here's a pretty good LedZep tribute band I saw on tv . . .;)

Tommy Biggs and MattyK-USA like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.