What is it with all these tribute bands?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Seems like half the concerts here are tribute bands - AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Styx, Journey, Bad Co., REO Speedwagon, Rush...

It boggles my mind that there is such a market for this stuff. And especially at such outrageous ticket prices. But then I'm just an old curmudgeon that got to see a lot of the original bands in concert when they were in their heyday.

2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

It's hard to compete with too - they take a lot of the local gigs, because the club owners know they're getting a built-in crowd with most of them.
    I know it's a lot of work to do a tribute band and do it well, but the thought of being in one just doesn't do it for me. I like playing a variety of covers.

Dennyf, mfguitar and Greggorios like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

More folks would rather go see and hear something
    they know or heard in their parents garage. Certain age brackets
    have more spending money. They don't want to see
    a band cover Justin Timberlake or Caine West.
    The problem with tribute band is you have to travel.
    No one wants to see Black Sabbath every weekend.

4. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Indeed. Same in these parts. Likely just Baby Boomer market response. We have lots of terrific small venues in this area. It seems like the tribute bands can produce a pretty good, regular draw that helps these guys stay in business which from my point of view is a good thing as these same venues have lots of younger, developing artists as well as many lesser know "seasoned" performers too. Lot's a great players just trying to pay their bills.

Just like you, I saw many of the actual bands back in the day so that I generally don't pay much attention. Having said that I also have heard that some are really good, put on entertaining shows and deserve a listen.

John Nicholas and nojazzhere like this.
  5. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Regarding musicians: Money, just money. Lack of dignity. Lack of ideas. Lack of enough balls to deffend your own thing over anything else.

Regarding public: Lazyness. Not wanting, even thinking on, to hear anything new. Remember their youth.

I can understand you play covers, entertain is entertain, but play them your own way at least. Jazz players don't do covers, thjey do standards. Well, yes, they are covers but any player tries to do it in a different way

Tributes are killing the musical scene, period

This is a cover:

This is disgusting, a bad theatre

Flaneur, gimmeatele, NBS2005 and 4 others like this.
  6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I know two guys who are each in a tribute band and an originals band. In each case the tribute band funds the originals band. I have a friend in a Cheap Trick tribute band and they can earn $2000 to play 2 sets at corporate gigs.

The originals bands have a hard time earning $350 at gigs.

People enjoy the music and people enjoy the novelty of tribute groups.

The cover band the I play in plays so much Tom Petty that we’ve talked about doing a Petty tribute format. I think it would be a lot of fun. I’m a big Petty fan. I think it would be very easy to sell to club owners.

7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Take your socks off and count all the bands you're never going to see again. Allmans. Bowie. Petty. Prince. As well as musicians and bands who are long gone.

Then take your wallet out and count your disposable income.

Then do a cost / benefit analysis of payin' big bucks to see The Big Show from the hundredth row.

We're going to see an Eagles / Fleetwood Mac tribute band double header in a few weeks. We're taking Girlfriend's parents.

Took 'em to a Bad Co. / Skynyrd double header a while ago, the real deal. They're The Ultimate Music Fans. They don't care if it's the real deal or not. They have a good time either way.

They still think Rickey Medlocke is Leonard Skynyrd.

:)

Come to think of it we took them to see Frampton with Jason Bonham's Zeppelin tribute band opening.

gridlock, Bruxist, EJG1 and 7 others like this.
  8. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

It's the 'vacuum effect' basically. The original band members are either gone, all hate each other, retired or charge lottery winner ticket prices for the handful of shows they do per year, so a good tribute band is the next best thing - esp. if you've not been lucky enough to see the original act. I saw a video of a Dixie Dregs tribute act convincingly playing one their hardest pieces (I'm Freaking Out), and I'd be very happy to see them live!

9. muchxs

10. muchxs

We went to The Great South Bay Festival featuring real geezer bands a few summers ago. To say it sucked is an insult to perfectly good suck. They should have paid us to sit there and the beer should have been free.

Sometimes it's better to burn out than to fade away. Tribute bands are a good way to capture the energy a band had in their prime before they burned out or faded away.

11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

There's a huge market for tribute bands here too. I think they are popular for a lot of reasons.

For some people seeing an AC/DC tribute in a small club, on a low stage, is preferable to seeing AC/DC in a massive arena with £90 tickets and Axl Rose singing.

I remember seeing 'Who's Who' local to me and it was great, it was like seeing The Who how you would have wanted to see them back in the day, the drummer had the Moon style down perfectly ... honestly I enjoyed it more than seeing The Who (or what's left of the Who) a few years ago.

It's a different kind of gig obviously, more like going to see musical theater. But it can work really well and people like the nostalgia trip.

12. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A buddy of mine in Toronto is in a Tragically Hip tribute band that pulls in some pretty good money. I’d join a Petty or Stones tribute in a heartbeat, if such an opportunity was available.

My goal is to make money via gigging. A good tribute band can be a very successful venture.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya. A buddy of ours went to Chicago last year and saw the Stones in not great seats for mega bucks.
    We went to Akron Rock the lock and saw a tribute last year for free, that was damn decent. Small crowd
    and they sounded dead on.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's the McDonalds-ing of America.
    Familiarity rules.
    If there's a mom and pop diner next to a Burger King, BK thrives and M&P go out of business.
    It's damned sad.

GuitLoop, Ignatius, Durtdog and 4 others like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

You're leaving out all the "original" bands that are just "tribute" bands now. People pay good money to go see a 70's band with a couple of original roadies and NO original band members.....or various different members from different eras of the band. Is Paul McCartney now considered a tribute band when he performs Beatles songs without the other three Beatles?
    Personally, I'm more concerned about the c**p that passes for new original music than the "niche" segment of "tribute" bands......but that's just me. ;)

16. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've found some are or might be better than the real thing.

We saw Red Not Chili Peppers and they were spot on...sound, look, set, etc

studio1087 likes this.
  17. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

You should see the Grateful Dead tribute scene! Entire 3-5 days festivals with bands expected to play GD style and/or songs!

Bands like Dark Star Orchestra reproduce entire vintage GD shows. Some are very close to exact replicas! They are dam good!

The Dead's music invites experimentation and stretching out so it works on a certain level. These bands don't take on the persona of the Dead but the spirit and jams....

I couldn't handle a tribute band that tried to act like a band.... It could be kinda cool if good but I just imagine the effort to be someone else and kinda flinch...

Matt Sarad, EJG1, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  18. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don't care for tribute bands that are trying to look and act like the original band, right down to stage banter and clothes.

I DO like tribute bands that don't try to act or look like the original band, but play great dead-on covers. We have a local band made up of local musicians who play about four times a year at an 1,800 seat theater and they are usually close to a sell out each time. They've covered different classic rock albums (Dark Side, Abbey Road, The Wall), and they've done themes such as yachtrock and glam rock. They have also incorporated middle school and high school honors string sections for some performances. All were great.

19. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Classic Rock is still King. They simply don’t make music like that anymore and people still love it.

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep curmudgeon is definitely the word.

What's with the big high horse about it? You don't like it, look away. You saw the original acts? Well done you.

It's not my scene and I avoid like the plague too, but people who love the original deceased or no longer performing artists just enjoy a night out a couple of drinks a sing along.

Musicians that do this work do it for a variety of reasons, but a paying crowd and avoiding some other terrible life sucking useless BS corporate morons day job must be right up there.

I have numerous friends doing this work. They also do loads of other stuff: teaching, writing, arranging, producing, promoting original work. The tribute covers stuff helps pay for the others and means they can eat and feed their families.

John Nicholas, Skub, EJG1 and 6 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.