What is it about Squier Necks?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by WrayGun, May 16, 2017.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

I have a Squier that I got in trade, and while the body is light, I find it perfectly acceptable, and the pups I plopped in are killer. So yeah, it's one of my fav guitars, except for the neck. Is it my imagination? I don't know if the specs are the same as a Fender Standard model Tele, but to me it just feels skinny and narrow. I'm constantly pushing the strings off the fretboard. Is it all in my mind? I did try rolling the edges a little when I first got it, but not enough to give me these kinds of problems. Thoughts? Thanks all.

bassestkkm and joejoe like this.
  2. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

I think it depends on the model. It seems the CVs are plenty chunky . . . what model do you have?

3. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Not sure ... like I said, got it in trade ...

t guitar floyd likes this.
  4. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Squier necks are all over the place. I've played a few that were as chunky as a Baja, others that were pencil thin and narrow.

Slim and t guitar floyd like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Some of the Squier Tele necks are carved like Squier Strats, some like regular MIM/MIA Tele.

Differences are in the 'shoulder' carve. The chunky necks carve starts at the fretboard glue line, the thin necks start carving at the front face of the fretboard and cut around. The one has a 90deg flat on the sides while the other has <<90 degrees. Rolling the edge of these removes the knife edge feel but the shoulders are still gone. Nut width and carve depth can be the same on either version -- it's how the shoulders are treated and how much wood is removed.

This is a Gibson carve but it shows how the shoulders are reduced. On the Squier Strats and some Squier Teles there is no flat at the fretboard edge.

[​IMG]

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you might have the narrower Infinity model neck..

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If you look at the fender site right now they list some of the Squiers as being narrower... nut widths in particular are easy to look up, and it seems to go from narrow to wide as you go from Squier -> MIM -> American.

It's about 2.2mm variance from thinnest to widest.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nut widths on most Squiers are narrower than most American Fenders.

9. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

You'll have no trouble selling the skinny neck on ebay; maybe for more than you paid for the guitar.

10. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

I got a long, interesting PM from the Bluesman, and I can't seem to get a reply thru the system. So I'm going to reply here and hope he sees it:

Thanks for all this ... let me see if I understand. Are you saying that, since I do have stronger fingers, it would benefit me to increase the neck action (i.e., more neck curvature), and to possibly go up a gauge in string diameter? Possibly raise the strings at the bridge? I did go from .10s to .11s on this guitar, and it did seem to help a bit. For what it's worth, this is my "Keith Richards" guitar, mostly open-G or D/E, banging away for maximum crunch and twang. I'm going to assume that this is a factor.

Thank you for your insights :)

Dave

11. tomee

tomee TDPRI Member

It used to be that Bullet or Affinity necks were narrower but I'm not sure anymore. Most Squier Tele specs seem to follow classic US specs of 1-5/8 or 1-11/16 nut width. Neck shape varies depending on the model. In any case they all seem to have standard Fender string spacing no matter what the nut width.

Frankly, I think a rosewood fingerboard, especially a thick slab one, creates an optical illusion that the neck is skinny. I have a maple neck Strat Plus at my disposal and compared to my CVC the maple neck looks and feels bigger. With strings off I measure them and the calipers say they are about the same width and depth - 43mm nut and 0.82 inch depth at the first fret.
    Another factor is fret size - the frets on the Strat Plus are bigger and that does make it feel different too. The CVC has pretty small frets in comparison.

12. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Low end Squiers are marketed to mom and dad to buy for kids at xmas. What are the odds the necks on a guitar meant for a 12 year old would be thin and narrow?

Telesphere, Brazen, Mike SS and 2 others like this.
  13. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Necks can differ a lot. One solution for handling different neck dimensions is playing many different guitars.

That's how I do it. After a few minutes I remember the neck, and just play. If you can not get used to it, change the neck...

I don't like it, but it is better than having a guitar that gets no playing time...

14. BareBones

BareBones Tele-Meister

Yeh I've a standard like that.
    Popped the nut loose and reset...
    Moved it over 10 or 15...
    Helped some...

15. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

My butterscotch CV Tele nut measures 1 5/8 wide...The only gripe I have with the neck is the thick poly covering it...

16. WebGringo

WebGringo TDPRI Member

Scotchbrite pad, did a good run on the back of my cv neck. You cant see that something is done with it, but the feel it totally changed.

RHytonen likes this.
  17. Black-T

Black-T TDPRI Member

Please, PLEEAAZZE tell me,
    which Squier Tele's have you played with necks as Chunky as the Baja Tele!
    I must know! That is the best feeling Fender Soft-V Neck I've ever played, EVER!
    Better than the Clapton Strat. Better than the Buddy Guy Strat!

RHytonen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.