What is everyone using for EQ pedal (or rack mount)?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by teletail, Sep 7, 2019.

1. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I'm looking for an EQ pedal (would consider rack mount) to fatten up the sound a little on leads and give me a little more control overall. Just curios what everyone is using for EQ.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Caveat: I don't own an EQ pedal.

That being said, I did get to borrow this one from a friend, and when I get an EQ, it's going to be this one:

https://empresseffects.com/products/paraeq

I like parametric EQ more than graphic, and I like knobs more than sliders, especially for something I'm literally stepping on.

BigDaddyLH, Ricky D. and teletail like this.
  3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've heard good things about the Source Audio SA170 Programmable EQ. I just use the knobs on my amp, except for my Mesa Boogie Studio .22+ which has a GEQ on the front panel.

teletail likes this.
  4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Dano Fish and Chips

Nickadermis, teletail and Fuelish like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I started with a Dano Fish & Chips and then added a MXR 6-band. Yes, two EQ pedals on my board for years. Now I have graduated to a tilt EQ using the VFE Pinball. I have never had a pedalboard without an EQ. You need to understand tilt type EQ, before venturing into this area, but the results are utterly fantastic.
    IMG_4078.PNG

teletail and ndcaster like this.
  6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good ol boss GE7. 15db of clean boost, plus boosting the high mids just a bit to cut through more for solos.

7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I’ve had a GE-7 (w/sniper mod) on my board for well over a decade. It’s a solid pedal and works as well as ,or better than, all the fancy clean boosts I’ve had.

teletail and mkdaws32 like this.
  8. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Maxon GE601 if you want something transparent and musical - it changes the sound of the guitar without imposing any noticable character, the guitar just sounds different but not obviously pushed.

I also have a Biyang GE-7 and Mooer G, these both have a sound signature when you push the mids but with the Maxon it's more like: "What have you done to the guitar sound?" rather than "That's a nice mid boost sound there."

teletail likes this.
  9. BluesHound

BluesHound Tele-Holic

Another Boss GE-7 user.

teletail and mkdaws32 like this.
  10. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll be sure to check these suggestions out!

11. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

I really like the Fromel Shape EQ. 7131E2FC-6FD3-4030-80C2-DC682F23FC08.png TMB controls plus you can adjust mid-frequency range. Also has a buffer

teletail likes this.
  12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

When I plan on using external EQ, I use the parametric EQ in my Ibanez UE405. Single band but wide variable Q, good boost (or cut) ..

It’s a PQ9 incorporated with other goodies

teletail likes this.
  13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

On my acoustic board, three Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips are plugged into an ABCD switch box. My main instrument, a dread, goes straight into the ABCD box and gets EQed via the PA. Then I use the EQ pedals on the other three channels to adjust those three instruments so they'll sound right without having to touch the PA's EQ.

That way I can switch instruments without having to re-EQ anything. Makes pub gigs a lot simpler.

Nickadermis and teletail like this.
  14. mcfm2n

mcfm2n Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

+1 on the GE-7 for electric.

teletail likes this.
  15. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

mxr 10 band.would like to try the mooer.based on the diamond i believe.

teletail likes this.
  16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

17. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Rack graphic EQ's because they have more sliders, which lets you better control the EQ curve. I don't like how the 5/7/10 band EQ's work, they seem to space the frequencies a bit too far IME. Take the GE-7 for example. 100hz, 200hz, 400hz, 800hz, 1.6khz, 3.2khz, 6.4khz. What if I want to increase the fundamental on the low 'E' string? Doesn't go low enough 110hz, is the fundamental on the A string.. Now, say I wanted to dial in some 600hz to boost the resonant frequency on my guitar, or 2.2khz, because I like how that frequency sounds. 4khz, 5khz high frequencies? I can't dial in that stuff with the 7 band. I can maybe try to 'fudge' it but it's really not the same sound. Now take a 32 band rack EQ. The frequency spacing between sliders is very tight, which makes for much more tweakable EQ curves. I have the Yamaha pictured below, and I also like the fact the noise floor is EXTREMELY LOW on these since they're studio/recording grade. IME, with stompbox graphic EQ's is they tend to add quite a bit of noise once you start boosting frequencies, especially the higher frequencies. The obvious downfall with rack gear is the increased space, but you can typically get some fantastic units for cheap, since many people have gone the stompbox route. Most of my rack gear I got for like $40-60 which is comparable to a cheap-o stompbox.

I also really like parametric EQ's. They let you dial in the exact frequency(s) you want to boost, and you can dial in how wide/narrow the hump/dip you're creating is. Definitely useful for fattening a guitar up or boosting the resonant frequency for huge sustain and musical feedback potential.

Attached Files:

Ricky D. and teletail like this.
  18. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use the above mentioned Source Audio Programmable EQ, and I use it for boosting and fattening the guitar sound. It´s main advantage is that you can save four different settings; you might want to have different settings for different guitars or just different ways of boosting and soundshaping. I find it very useful.

FenderLover likes this.
  19. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Source Audio Programmable EQ. True bypass, MIDI addressable.

teletail likes this.
  20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have an Ibanez PQL single band full parametric. Bought it new in 1985, used it ever since

teletail likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.