What is correct size of tuner bushings?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Yonatan, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

I've never installed tuner bushings, should they be wider than the tuner holes, to get a press fit?

If I got a bass neck with 18mm tuner holes, would these bushings be way too wide? Or could they be made to work with a slight adjustment?

bushings.jpeg

Thanks,
    Yonatan

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Those would be too big. That's like almost an eighth inch bigger than the hole.
    It's a mystery to me about tuner bushings, whatever I get they dont seem to fit. i think it's a plot.

4. Freeman Keller

Yonatan, when you buy a set of tuners the correct bushings should come with them. I just looked at StewMac's bass tuners and they have several different ones. Two of them use press in bushings, the rest are the screw in type. Both of the press in (Shallers and something they call "adjustable tension tuners") have 13.97 or 13.84 diameter shafts so they would fit the 14mm holes in your bushing, but the knurled portion of these bushing is 17.22 or 18.29, much smaller than yours. Ironically too, none of the SM reamers fit either of these tuner bushing, nor do any of them fit yours.

It has always irritated me that different manufacturers have not standardized on these parts. Bushings are different size, mounting holes are never the same. I'm sure it is a plot

5. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for the help, to clarify (I didn't explain this well), those bushings are part of a set of tuners, and I was just trying to determine before I order any parts (neck or tuners) if those tuners would work with a particular neck.

I guess that they won't, unless I widen the holes.

I'll keep looking...

6. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

So just to make sure I understand, if I get a neck with predrilled holes that are 18mm, do I want bushings that are 18mm, or should they ideally be slightly wider in order to get a press fit?

18mm seems to be a standard size for the Asian necks, and I see tuners that have 18mm bushings.

7. Freeman Keller

I'm the last guy you should ask about bass tuners, but there seems to be two different size mounting holes that are standard - 9/16(14mm) and 11/16 (17.5mm). These are designed to work with tuners that have the bushing that screws on from the face of the instrument. If you are using press in bushings normally the main hole is slightly larger diameter than the shaft (you don't want the shaft rubbing against the inside of the hole). The bushing is then set in a slightly larger diameter hole which is a tight fit. If you put calipers across the bushing the hole will be slightly smaller diameter so the knurled part can seat in wood.

It looks like you have two choices - find tuners you like then drill (or buy) your neck with the correct sized hole and if you want press in bushings, drill that additional step. The other options is to try to find tuners that fit the holes in your neck.

ps - I have pretty much standardized on tuners for my guitars for this very reason. I use Waverlies on my really good acoustics and Gotohs on almost everything else. I bought the correct tools and its straight forward. I also tell people when I replace tuners for them that I will have to seek out something that will fit, often the foot print is different and almost always the little screws will be different.

It definitely is a plot.

8. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Simply put, the holes on the headstock should be the same dimension as what is mentioned for the busihings and everything should be ok. If people made the holes too large and the bushings too small, it would never work. Usually you have to ream or sand the holes to enlarge them just a little bit.

[edit] so enlarging the hole from 18mm to 20,8mm is possible, easy if you have a reamer that is wide enough (rare), but difficult with a drill bit.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  9. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Yes, that's what I was just about to conclude, and I think that in practice those are the guidelines to follow, but I just wanted to add that I noticed that Warmoth has an explanation of the tuner hole sizes that they offer drilling, and I cross referenced that to the size of the bushings for a few different tuners. It seems like the bushings are very slightly wider, for example, if Warmoth says to order .343 inch holes, then checking a data sheet for some tuner of that type shows a bushing diameter of .346.

So that's it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.