What is considered a Blues Breaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GuitarsBuicks, Oct 18, 2020 at 10:51 AM.

1. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

I know that a Blues Breaker is a 2x12 cabinet, but there are all kinds of 2x12 configurations. The Fender DeVille comes in a 2x12 configuration but they are diagonally set...is that still a blues breaker? The Peavey Heritage VTX is side by side 2x12...but it is slightly slanted back...is it still a blue breaker? Is a 2x12 cab with a separate amp still a blues breaker? Any other 2x12 configurations that could be considered blues breakers?

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

A Bluesbreaker is the nickname for the Marshall model 1962. This amp is a JTM45 with tremolo in a 2x12 cabinet either with 2 Greenbacks or 2 Alnico Celestion type speakers for the classic sounds. Generally outfitted with 2 KT66’s in fixed bias, 3 - 12ax7’s and a GZ34 rectifier. Circuit is very closely related to the 5F6A Fender Bassman, but not exact. Great tones, generally warm, fat, lots of bass and healthy low mids and warm trebles. Excellent clean sounds or turned up around 6-8 for amazing overdriven tones

3. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

I have always thought that the term “blues breaker” is a phrase meaning a wave or surge of blues. I have not thought of it as a speaker configuration of an amp cab. Sorry, I can’t help any more than that. Just my humble opinion. Maybe I’m missing something, don’t know.

4. GuitarsBuicks

Let me refine the question. Blues Breaker officially refers to the 1962 JTM45 Marshall 2x12 as stated above. However, through the years it has become the term for some 2x12 combos. Does this apply to all or most 2x12's or only to that amp? Has anyone ever made another blues breaker style combo? For example does the Hot Rod amp family that are 2x12's fall into the blues breaker combos?

glyons1 and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I have never heard of any amp other than the Marshall 1962 2x12 combo referred to as a "Bluesbreaker" amp. That is the amp that Clapton used to record the "Beano" album with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, and that is how it got the nickname.

Hotrod series amps are not "Bluesbreaker" amps, and have nothing in common with them.

6. GuitarsBuicks

Brad Paisley refers to the Dr. Z DB4 as a blue breaker. I have heard other amps called blues breakers if they are 2x12's because of the configuration, not the voicing or manufacturer. That is the reason for this post.

7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No.
    I've never heard the term applied to anything other than the Marshall JTM-45 combo made famous by EC while playing with John Mayall and the Blues Breakers. There's no other production amp by any company, other than Marshall, that sounds like a Blues Breaker. There's of course boutique versions. Mojotone makes a great one. I think Dr. Z does one too. The Fender 2x12"s are nothing remotely like a Blues Breaker in either sound or construction.

*There are folks who of course will mislabel any 2x12" a 'blues breaker' the same way someone (who's not really a car guy) will mislabel a Chevy Bel Air or Corvette Shark or a Stingray.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 11:35 AM
  8. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Ditto. It's not an accepted generic term for a certain style of amp.

Tim S, Heimdall, Greggorios and 14 others like this.
  9. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I concur with the above posters. I’ve never heard or understood that term to refer to anything other than a JTM-45 or a clone of one.

Heimdall, Greggorios, Maguchi and 9 others like this.
  10. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Marshall 1961/1962 or an overpriced second hand pedal from the 90.

It has not been a generic term for 2*12.

11. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I have never heard the term generically. Only specifically to the Marshall 1962 amp.

The Bluesbreaker amp is a very specific voice, and only Marshall.

Paisley's amp is probably a 1962 clone, and he can call it whatever he wants, but a Bluesbreaker is specifically a Marshall model 1962 JTM 45 2X12 combo amp. Bluesbreaker is not a generic term for a 2X12 amp.

Heimdall, Greggorios, Maguchi and 4 others like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have never heard of a Bluesbreaker being a 2 x 12 combo, other than a Marshall Bluesbreaker...

Heimdall, Greggorios, Maguchi and 3 others like this.
  13. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

As others have stated it's the amp from Beano but a lot of people refer to other amps "Bluesbreaker" like. But they aren't exactly a JTM45.

Maguchi likes this.
  14. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Like everyone's stating above, the Bluesbreaker is a specific amp or re-issue of an amp by Marshall. It's awesome.

I think I found the point of confusion --

"This original amp design has its own voice, one that doesn’t sound like any EL84 amp you have ever heard. It will be offered as a head, 1×12 “Ultra-Lite” combo loaded with a Celestion Alnico Gold, and 2×12 “Bluesbreaker” combo loaded with two Celestion Alnico Blue speakers."

Looks like DrZ may have called the 2x12 configuration of Paisley's amp the "Bluesbreaker" configuration. This makes no sense to me other than maybe marketing?

Ok, digging into this a little more I've sorted it out. It's nonsense for "Bluesbreaker" to refer to the 2x12 speaker configuration, but DrZ is calling it that due to the design aesthetic. The 2x12 housing is a straight
    rip-off of the Marshall Bluesbreaker with similar top grille and the same speakers as the re-issue.

IMG_0273_2048x2048.jpeg DB4_2x12_blue-zwreck-1030x687.jpg IMG_0258_2048x2048.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 2:19 PM
  15. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Iv'e never heard that. Around here BB has always meant a JTM45 combp...

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

17. GuitarsBuicks

Not trying to start an argument. Just looking to figure out what the term actually is.

(http://drzamps.com/product/db4/)

gitold likes this.
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

They better be careful calling it a "Bluesbreaker" since Marshall has a trademark on the term.

Maguchi and Cali Dude like this.
  19. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Dr Z is erroneously using the term in reference to cosmetics only. As far as I can see from the specs, that is the only similarity to a Bluesbreaker.

Heimdall and Cali Dude like this.
  20. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I think what they're referring to is the styling of the cab. The styling of the cab itself resembles the 1962 combo in its proportions, which may have been what confused the OP.

telemnemonics and Cali Dude like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.