What is California like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, May 19, 2021.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

It's a 3000 miles drive but I have always wanted to come to California, if only to see the sand and coast. Probably sounds dumb if I tried to explain it.

Just to keep it simple, what's it really like out there?

P Thought, Flip G, jman72 and 6 others like this.
  2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

It is, as we all know, the land of fruits and nuts. :)

Jokes aside ... there's very few places in the country that offer the natural beauty of CA, with ocean and mountain landscapes within an hour or two drive, combined with a year-round climate in many areas that's unmatched. It's just a fact that we need to live with that it's so desirable that the real estate prices are through the roof...

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    ASATKat, awasson, Tonetele and 13 others like this.
  3. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

Travel east to west and it's pretty amazing.

emisilly, drmordo, ASATKat and 5 others like this.
  4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

possibly one of the nicest places Ive ever visited., Love LA, but it can get quite busy and hectic.. San Diego seems to be where my heart is, and possibly the place Id ever live if I have the chance to live and work in the US

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

emisilly likes this.
  6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I love the free, fresh wind in my hair
    Life without care, oh I'm so broke, it's old
    I hate California, it's crowded and damp
    That's why the lady is a tramp (I am a tramp)

Charlodius and P Thought like this.
  7. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

it has it's moments

IMG_5698.JPG

8. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Holic

It used to be nice... I wouldn't move back there...

JDthaddeus, hemmings, KyAnne and 13 others like this.
  9. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Like, the whole coast? Or just the bigger stuff LA, SF, San Diego? To really get the feel for the whole enchilada coast-wise, fly to San Diego first. Rent a car and drive up The Great Highway all the way up to SF. Or US 101 is a pretty scenic drive. Then over the Golden Gate, check out some enormous, old trees in Muir Woods. Start to go East through wine country. It's a lot to see. Friggin' huge state! When I moved out here 25 years ago from Indiana, I was blown away by how many cool little adventures you can have in California. LOL! Go in like October too. Not July or August.

audiopablo, ASATKat, awasson and 11 others like this.
  10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I have lived all around California. Northern CA is beautiful, with the wine country and the coast to the west, and the Sierra Nevada mountains to the east. Unless you live near the coast, southern California is just hot and dry. Much is over crowded. Socal beaches are great. California is becoming so expensive to live in. I hope to leave in a few years.

emisilly, KyAnne, Tonetele and 3 others like this.
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I am proud to have grown up in the LA area; the valley to be specific. If you go to LA, you need to talk with a local who has been there years. If you do the wrong thing, LA could be uncomfortable to you. THe biggest problem for California is OVER -POPULATION. AS are other major cities in the US. Until we start controlling population growth, we are headed for nightmares. You might want to take the train from LA to Frisco. THen rent a car see the motherlode, Yosemite, sequoia national forest. THe most boring ride is to take highway 99 from LA to Sacramento; one bigarse boring drive.

awasson, mrbdxmpl, Cali Dude and 3 others like this.
  12. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

California is one of my most favorite countries to visit.

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think the main difference you'll notice is that when you're standing on the beach looking at the ocean, north is to your right.

14. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

It'll be great once they get the bullet train built. SF to LA in 2 hours 40 minutes!

15. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I am curious how they got those census numbers... I can assure you, there are more people than ever here. Even places that used to be considered “way out there” are being developed. In Orange and LA county every time you turn around there are new housing developments on the corner... And they sell fast! It’s a little scary considering our (relative) lack of resources (water, power, etc)... Part of it I know is a lot of people immigrating to the US come to CA first. We have a huge variety of restaurants at least!

DonM, TwoBear and studio like this.
  16. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I've lived in Northern California most of my life, but I regularly travel to Southern California for work. They both have thier charms, but If you want the most variety, I say head north. In a half day you can drive from Tahoe to Bodega Bay, which are easily two of the most spectacular places I've been, with a lot of great places in between. Yes, it is getting ever more expensive to live here, but despite having spent time all over the US and very much enjoyed the Midwest and South, it is hard for me to imagine surviving the weather or critters anywhere else.

ASATKat, mrbdxmpl, jman72 and 3 others like this.
  17. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Lived here all my life. It's great state as far as the geography. It's gets a bad rap for some of the politics and the overcrowded cities like L.A. where homeless are destroying the place and gangs abound. People seem to focus on that and hate california because of that relatively small bit of landscape. There are great places here, you simply have to know where to go and where not to like any state. Lots of open land that is NOT L.A. and the like, beautiful mountains, deserts and ocean front but the naysayers don't like to talk about that because it doesn't help their argument about what a $**thole it is. Just stay away from the highly populated metro areas and it's a beautiful place. And you won't freeze to death like some states. Weather is great. In fact, i often note how many threads here i read about not opening a guitar case for a day because it's been in a truck in sub freezing weather, or hideous degrees of humidity causing fret stout and all manner f issues with guitars doe to harsh weather. Not here ! The biggest issue is the cost of living. It plain sucks, can't deny that. But the fact is it's the same as any product....supply and demand.

18. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

born and raised, 1955.

last 45 years 2 blocks from the beach in Santa Barbara. I would exclude South of Ventura for any kind of traveling.

I suggest you take a overnight in Carpinteria. Drive up North and stay in Cambria. Cruz up to Sebastopol and then Ft. Bragg.

If you want to jam out in my backyard let me know. I have 8 acoustics.

audiopablo, awasson, KyAnne and 15 others like this.
  19. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Oh, the critters. Every time I go to visit my folks in Arkansas on Lake Hamilton, I get a nice reminder of the, critters everywhere, kinda life. You forget after a while.

20. wangdaning

wangdaning Tele-Meister

You have to get north past the bay area and Sac before you get anything good. I grew up far north coast, awesome place. Also, would be a waste to go to California and not see the redwoods.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.