What is Bohemian Rhapsody really about?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Is “Dick Van Gogh” still available?

Things to heckle them with:
    “Turn up, we can barely ear you!”
    “Was that song from your blues period?”
    “Do you guys know any Lisa Lobe?”

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Dacious likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like "Go Van Gogh"... (googles) Gogh Van Go is taken.

3. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I always thought it was about hiv/aids, gay lifestyle, and Freddie predicting his own death.

One man giving hiv to another.... I've just killed a man...

I thought it was obvious. No?

lupowitz and Chiogtr4x like this.
  4. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Well there was no AIDS or HIV when he wrote it. Or at least not defined as such.

But I think it is about him leaving his old self behind ("mama, just killed a man") and re emerging as a new person and all the struggles that go with it.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was not a fan when I went to see Queen in 1974.
    I went with a couple of high school friends, we saw them in San Antonio.
    They were touring to support Queen II.
    Their opening act was (Smokin’ In The Boys Room) Brownsville Station.
    I wanted to see them.
    I wanted to see Cub Coda’s real 1959 Les Paul.
    I saw em’.
    They woogied, they boogied.
    Out came Queen.
    OMG!
    There’s rock bands, and there’s Queen.
    Freddie was mesmerizing, Brian sounded like 3 great players.
    Glad I saw em’!
    What was the question?;)

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's debatable it was even defined in his own mind he was gay. Possibly in denial, but no - AIDS wasn't identified until the 80s and BR was created mid 70s

7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Haha.. . Yes I discovered this and it blew a hole in my theory.... But still I like to believe it.
    :)

8. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

Music has been all downhill since Brother Duane passed. Geezer alert:p

9. mugen74

mugen74 TDPRI Member

I always got the suicide vibe out of it. Whatever it was about to Freddie, no idea, but I think it says a lot that it means so many different things to so many different people. It meets you where you’re at.

jh

Frodebro likes this.
  10. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I’ve thought, if there was a “meaning” to BR, it was about personal change. Things have to “die” in order for a “new” thing to become
    Whether it’s a mental, sexual, physical, or some other issue is immaterial

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Who knows. I always thought the song was a collection of exaggerated parts of a very simple whole.
    The author is watching a dramatic tv show. In the storyline of the show someone gets took out by a gangster. The murderer whines about his conditions and on and on whining and complaining.
    The author gets bored with the show and thinks, “hey, I’m surrounded by all this sad and broody stuff... I should listen to some real music... maybe ZZ Top... Fandango perchance?”
    It starts to storm and the author is scared so he starts hopelessly shouting for help from Gallelileo and Figaro. He realized Bealzeboob has a devil waiting for him. He sets the rest of the band loose and makes up a few phrases of nonsense rocking lyrics in hopes of copping some ZZ action. Maybe Nazareth or AC-DC? But, alas, he realizes he might as well give up.
    Or not, who really knows?

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Freddy said he wanted an opera and being falsely accused of a crime is opera theme fodder. Teddy’s twist was actual guilt. He just needed a theme to construct thematic phrases around so he could have his opera.

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I know BR predates AIDS/HiV ( or our awareness of it), but that's an interesting take on the meaning.
    I never thought about the ' coming out ' idea either, could be.

It's one helluva song, I hear it EVERY day, we all do, and it still fascinates me!

14. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

It's a lamentation by Freddy over his frustration of not being able to understand "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

15. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah it's Freddie's coming out song and the attempts to explain struggles he went through to get to that point in his life. He couldn't just come out in a song and say "I'm gay".

Queen albums up until that point had been filled with songs that are wrapped in all sorts of mythical and allegorical imagery, so it would be fitting that Freddie would use those same songwriting techniques to tell his own story.

koen likes this.
  16. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I went off this in 1975 when it was top of the charts for about three months and became an airplay overdose of pretentious lyrics and bloated production. That's not to say that I don't like Queen though.
    What's it all about... Don McLean was asked what the equally-bizarre Bye Bye Miss American Pie meant and he replied: 'It meant I never had to work again.'

17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Not at all in my opinion, I'm 66 in a few days. I dug Duane very much and still mourn and miss him, but there are many, many people whose music touches me, even more so than Duane's. I like to remain receptive, it's a healthy way to be.

18. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I always thought that song was several ideas put together, so I assumed the lyrics also was different ideas put together. Like Beatles "A day in the life".
    It's probably not about something in the same way as a song like american pie...galleleo and figaro is most likely nonsens?

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think Freddie was taking the audience on a Jungian journey into the collective unconscious by using the 'shadow' as a metaphor for the primal self that gets repressed by the modern persona, and also by using an underground setting and labyrinth office design to represent both the depths of the psyche and the dungeon-like isolation of our increasingly mechanistic society which prevents people from finding satisfying work or meaningful connections with others.

No wait..….That's Blue Man Group.

I don't think we'll ever know exactly what the song is about but I still love the song. I've read beautiful poetry that interested and confused the heck out of me. If it holds your interest and makes you ponder then I think it's good stuff,

20. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

Does it touch you in your naughty bits? Duane passed when he just turned 24. Started playing around 15. The music we lost touches me. I am not a great fan of the nipple twisters and general downhill slide in music to date following the early 1970's. As they say vive le difference.
    A little Duane always makes one feel better, one of the top blues songs ever laid down, all courtesy of Duane and the Swampers with a slight assist from Boz:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.