What is an unspoken rule about getting through society and life that annoys you when other people don't honor it?

viking

Friend of Leo's
You lot have a lot of trouble in your lives , LOL......All of you that are annoyed by other people in traffic ,WTF ....how about just trying to relax a little ?
No reason to get worked up over things that mean NOTHING
Try to be a decent person every day , and hope those around you do the same........Relax ......relax...

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Here's one for the ladies....lots of women want the toilet seat to be in the down position. My wife was pretty upset one morning when she just about fell into the bowl when I left the seat up. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, "don't you look before you sit?". I think the best solution is to go for the "neutral position". Both the seat and the toilet lid in the down position. Of course, don't forget to flush! (Note, in California we have a bad drought, so lots of folks go by the saying, "if it's brown flush it down, but if it's yellow, let it mellow"....)

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
People that drive with their brights/high-beams on all the time, and fail to dim them for oncoming traffic.

Not too long ago, this was a common courtesy. Now, however, it seems like one out of five vehicles on the road at night has their brights on, and they don't dim them even when I dim mine as a courtesy to them.

Selfish selfish selfish

I share your attitude on this, but also have noticed that many cars these days have excessively bright “regular“ beams.

I think it’s a function of the newer type(s) of headlights being used on many cars, whether stock or otherwise. Also, there are many cars where the headlights seemed to be aligned poorly.

And then there are all the tall cars and trucks whose headlights are effectively aimed directly into your eyes.

Finally, before we are all reminded again to just relax about everything . . . however good that advice generally is (and it is good advice), there are some things that deserve care, concern and/or approbation, such as when dangerous. The Thread did ask for posts about annoyances . . .perhaps we should have a thread where we all post about what we should all relax about.

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
Here's one for the ladies....lots of women want the toilet seat to be in the down position. My wife was pretty upset one morning when she just about fell into the bowl when I left the seat up. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, "don't you look before you sit?". I think the best solution is to go for the "neutral position". Both the seat and the toilet lid in the down position. Of course, don't forget to flush! (Note, in California we have a bad drought, so lots of folks go by the saying, "if it's brown flush it down, but if it's yellow, let it mellow"....)
The neutral position is the way we do it here. Everyone who uses the toilet is required to touch it. Flushing with the lid up is for public toilets.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
20 years of cleaning my own bath room taught me that it's ok to sit down to pee. The manly man guys can come clean the toilet and the floor for me if they don't like it. The ladies love it, and I never leave the seat up.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
To my beautiful, wonderful wife and daughter:

PUT YOUR SHOES IN YOUR CLOSET…DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN A WALKWAY, DOORWAY OR HALLWAY.

at the front door is best. shoes are disgusting.

the japanese with the little dropped entryway (genkan) where the shoes are a no-go into the rest of the dwelling have the right idea.

if i had a house built i would put one in, no question.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
at the front door is best. shoes are disgusting.

the japanese with the little dropped entryway (genkan) where the shoes are a no-go into the rest of the dwelling have the right idea.

if i had a house built i would put one in, no question.
as someone who has lived with this rule for over 30 years, sometimes it's a PITA

Winky

Tele-Meister
Don't just ditch your grocery cart in the parking spaces... put it back in the corral or proper place.
I've seen this characterized as a litmus test of what sort person someone is. The merit of re-docking the cart is obvious, and it s low cost to do so, yet there is absolutely no censure for leaving the cart out. Are people driven by a desire to do the right thing at a fundamental level, or is their social behaviour just a means-to-an-end?

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
Don't ever ask people about their salary, their s_xual activity, or their politics.

And if they insist on telling you these things, give a slight smile and say nothing.
If more people were honest with each other about their salaries/wages the bosses couldn't use people's lack of knowledge of the market to low-ball their employees.

And yes, I would like to know about a potential date's previous sexual activity and their politics. It could save a lot of time.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
We have had 4 people killed that way in the last 5 years. If I see a driver in front of me doing that I lay on my horn. They always look at me like I'm starting world war three.
Tragedy was averted in my experience, but only because of the caution of a maybe 10 year old kid holding his little brother's hand....in a school zone, no less

I watched from 30 yards away as an ignoramus waived two boys along, seeing she was already stopped (light just turned green for her) and there was no oncoming traffic. Rolling up from behind her in the outside lane, which I'll generously call her blind spot, was a car with a green light that had no intention of slowing down.

Haunts me to this day. I'm yelling at her like she's nuts and she looks at me like I'm nuts. No lesson learned, except perhaps the wise older brother.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter

So that's where that smell is wafting in from.

Last edited:

Winky

Tele-Meister
We have had 4 people killed that way in the last 5 years. If I see a driver in front of me doing that I lay on my horn. They always look at me like I'm starting world war three.
I agree with what you're saying, but NOBODY will ever interpret your honking as anything other than aggressive, sociopathic impatience, and as pretty close to being an instruction to driver in front to simply run down the pedestrian.