What is a Piggyback amp?

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My 1974 Bassman with 2X15 cab had knurled knob mounting hardware, but I don't remember ever using it. Looked like this:

View attachment 917101
Exactly. That's what I was calling a "vertical" orientation. The Blackface Bassman I had, (probably '64 or '65) was the small box speaker, with tilt back legs and mounting hardware. I always turned it vertically, even though the amp hung over a bit on the sides.

BamaSurf

Tele-Meister
Being raised by two deaf parents made my teenage years very interesting.... I remember some mornings Dad saying..”I thought it stormed last night, I felt the rumbling”....or the times I seen my neighbor’s screaming face in the basement window as I’m doing my “I Can See For Miles” power chords...Mom and Dad couldn’t hear a thing but they felt the house vibrating...

Last edited:

homesick345

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm thinking about buying a Fender Dual Showman Reverb with a 2x15 cab. The seller listed it as piggyback. What does that mean? Will I be able to separate cab and head? I would like to use the cab for some other amps as well, will this constrain me to only use the Dual Showman with the cab?

faith restored in youth & the future of guitar music.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I had just read through this thread, jumped over to Facebook, and this pops up.

Screenshot_20211107-130118.png

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
Did Fender amps (Bandmaster, Bassman, Showman) have hardware for mounting the head on the speaker cab? My failing memory says maybe. No wait. Make that a probably. Don't know the timeframe.

The BF piggybacks all did. Add the Tremolux to the list. I lost track in the 70s because I had mine.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
About the only times the tilt back position was used onstage seems to be in the surf music genre. It always seemed profoundly dorky to me.

knavel

Tele-Holic
I'm thinking about buying a Fender Dual Showman Reverb with a 2x15 cab. The seller listed it as piggyback. What does that mean? Will I be able to separate cab and head? I would like to use the cab for some other amps as well, will this constrain me to only use the Dual Showman with the cab?

Only someone your age can truly love an amp set up that enormous. I remember fondly my Vox Super Beatle set up from age 16 and how I never thought twice about picking it up and taking it to practice and shows.

Just keep in mind if you do buy that it's very much a buyer's market for those large amps. Inquire from the seller what maintenance work has been done to the amp of late because the original big amps cost as much as the more popular little ones in terms of upkeep these days but don't have the same cost/benefit. In answer to your last question, note the feedback above about speaker Ohms needing to match the amp head's output. I would add to that keep an eye on the load the speaker(s) in other cabinets you would pair with that DS head can handle because that head can put out a lot.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
Only someone your age can truly love an amp set up that enormous. I remember fondly my Vox Super Beatle set up from age 16 and how I never thought twice about picking it up and taking it to practice and shows.

Just keep in mind if you do buy that it's very much a buyer's market for those large amps. Inquire from the seller what maintenance work has been done to the amp of late because the original big amps cost as much as the more popular little ones in terms of upkeep these days but don't have the same cost/benefit. In answer to your last question, note the feedback above about speaker Ohms needing to match the amp head's output. I would add to that keep an eye on the load the speaker(s) in other cabinets you would pair with that DS head can handle because that head can put out a lot.

Yeah. Sorry about getting back to this a little late. I know how to match impedance. Currently am running a 4ohm 150W 1x15 cab with my heads. Should be able to handle the Dual Showman...

I'm planning on buying an attenuator and running it at around 3-5, which should get a nice full clean sound.

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
faith restored in youth & the future of guitar music.

Yeah, it's kinda sad how these massive amps are being substituted for modern modeling amps. I've been told repeatedly by every guitar news outlet that there's no difference. There really is. It feels like my generation has fallen prey to the wave of Ibanez + Line 6 Helix + Math Rock that's been going around YouTube and Instagram recently. It's like being in a zombie movie haha. I'm the only blues-loving tube amp-cranking guitar-modifying player that I know who's under 25. I just hope that, sooner or later, there'll be a vintage reawakening and people will be able to see just how good some of the old stuff is.
I got the opportunity to crank a Fender Showman (with original 115 tiltback cab) in a Guitar Center a couple months ago. The Boss Katana over in the corner didn't sound nearly as good afterwards. The older tube amps are just alive. There's no words to describe them elsewise.
I currently have a 1966 Univox U45B. It takes 5 minutes to warm up or it'll start fuzzing out, the pots are crackly no matter how much Deoxit I spray in, and the tremolo has no intensity settings, but I could never dream of parting with it, even for all the inconvenience it's caused me. It's as much a living creature as I am.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
My first real amp was a BF Fender Bassman head that I got for $75, it was missing the fuse holder, which I got for cheap at another music store, and the amp worked and sounded great.
I got one of the big Fender 2-12 cabinets to use with that head, then later realized the cabinet was for a Bandmaster / Showman head, so I traded the Bassman for a Bandmaster head, which really didn't sound as good, then later got a smaller 2-12 cab.
Those big 2-12 cabs sound great though.
My guitar playing buddy had a Kustom 3-15 cab with a Kustom head, we hauled both of those big amps around in his Mercury Bobcat aka Pinto hatchback.

Funny how things change, now everyone wants the small Fender combo amps, they sell for much more than the big combo or piggyback amps.

s-l300.jpg