What inspires or motivates you to play your guitar or write music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 4pickupguy, Sep 9, 2020.

What inspires or motivates you to play your guitar or write music most?

1. Life events / circumstances?

58 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. New artist/album discovery?

28 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. A new guitar, amp or pedal (new sound)?

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. New musical advancement in technique or theory?

35 vote(s)
    35.4%
  5. An upcoming gig or new band tune?

24 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. A concert or club performance by somebody?

12 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Something you read on a guitar forum?

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Absolutely! Remember when you were young and you could literally be awestruck, have your breath taken away by a superior live performance. It doesn’t have to be some national headliner either. I saw a band called The Lift at a place called Nicks Uptown on lower Greenville in Dallas in the 80’s that to this day is one of the best live performances I have ever seen and they were a local band. These guys weren’t even great musicians either, just a killer band. Yes, that was my second choice. New music or an inspiring performance can light a fire under me for a long, long time.

studio1087 likes this.
  2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Inspiration rarely strikes for writing, so I'll confine my "elaboration" comments to what inspires me to play.

First and foremost, I love playing guitar. That option was not in your poll, but that's the biggest one for me. I've played for 53+ years, through most of that time, every day. I didn't gig or play out until the year 2000, but I've played consistently through the decades. I've always said it's cheaper than therapy.

Upcoming gigs is my second most important motivator. Currently my gigging is down to an outdoor venue every month or so, but I try to add at the very least one new song to my performance repertoire so that my performances bring something new each time. I know enough songs that I could play a completely different list of songs than I did on my previous gig, but adding songs keeps it fresh for me and hopefully my audiences.

Third on my motivator list would be musical advancement. I don't know theory, but sometimes I stumble into something that works (even if I don't know why :oops:) and that really inspires a lot of playing. Oftentimes, my advancements are more about technique.

In the "also ran" category, a new guitar can really get me to playing a bunch. But getting new guitars is a relatively rare occurrence for me, so that's not a consistent factor. I don't collect amps, so that's not much of a factor, and I'm not a pedal guy, so again, not really a factor.

Maguchi and 4pickupguy like this.
  3. Aristeas

Aristeas TDPRI Member

I remember the sound that got me hooked at age 13, in 1971. It was Marc Bolan's Les Paul boogie through a Marshall amp on the intro to Get It On (Bang A Gong). Even the squeak of his fingers sliding on the strings got through to me in the most intense and amazing way. I was a tone hound from then on.

I'd even toured Europe and recorded albums with a Choir by then, but no sound had ever had that effect on me. 50 years on it still does it. But now I can make my own sounds that haunt me just the same way.

Hey_you and 24 track like this.
  4. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

You sho' got that right!

Greggorios likes this.
  5. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Could be anything for me,Legs and things.

6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

some form of insanity that isn't in the DSM IV is what motivates me to play guitar.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I need a gig to get the Juices flowing.
    The last thing my poor Ego wants is to Suck onstage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.