What inspires or motivates you to play your guitar or write music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 4pickupguy, Sep 9, 2020.

What inspires or motivates you to play your guitar or write music most?

1. Life events / circumstances?

58 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. New artist/album discovery?

28 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. A new guitar, amp or pedal (new sound)?

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. New musical advancement in technique or theory?

35 vote(s)
    35.4%
  5. An upcoming gig or new band tune?

24 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. A concert or club performance by somebody?

12 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Something you read on a guitar forum?

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, I guess my assumption was we all have basic desire and compulsion to play, but what situations ‘light a fire’ for you. I play and write because can’t not play and write, but there are things that really light a fire for me. Number one for me is new a sound. I attribute this to my chromesethsia. For me it literally means there are new colors (actually new ‘intensities’ very hard to describe) to paint with. Life circumstances is number one which I would easily assign to writing but I am surprised to see it so far ahead of the others.

Aristeas and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In my case, it is stress. Stress is what motivates me to play as it has become the only tool at my disposal that works without creating a bad hangover in the morning.

3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Haven't had anything like that since the last time I dropped acid! ('73?) I just always have words bouncing and zinging around in my head, and I'm always imagining playing a guitar — like, when I'm steering a car, my fingers move.

The pull to pick up a guitar and play or write is just there.

What inspires a dog to chase a squirrel? The squirrel!

telemnemonics, DekeDog and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No question; there’s less acceptance of others having and expressing differing points of view than in the past. Almost all of my songs are instrumental, so I haven’t experienced you’re point. But now that you mention...it is a good one. And sad.

5. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

It's the same thing that inspires me to speak English. I just do it, because that's how I am. I think guitar 24 hours a day. No matter what I do, it's there in my head. I'm unable to stop.

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Boredom, honestly.

When I have some down time during the day during the week is when I’m at my most creative. I almost never get creative ideas at any other time and won’t even pickup a guitar.

With a young child and activities most other times during the week, and wanting to just decompress at night, there’s not a lot of room in my head available except during the day during the week at times.

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

I'm not familiar with your writing, and I'm not a song writer, but it seems to me, the most effective writing seems to make the point through metaphor... often, the more subtle, the broader the interpretation of the message.

Rocky058 likes this.
  8. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Funny, life events have approximately zero effect on my playing. I generally play to get away from life events, so I guess you could say they inspire me, just not in the way that you'd think. Love songs by people who just fell in love or breakup songs by people who just broke up with someone tend to make me a bit nauseous.

New equipment and learning new theory/technique I find very inspiring. Also seeing a really exceptional player. Classical players I find to be particularly inspiring. Guess I'm more left brain than right brain.

9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I really play for fun.
    When I get inspiration I write. That's why I'm not a good songwriter, I don't work at the actual process all that much.
    Mostly my inspiration has been from playing with a singer who was creative and adaptable. I've only written a few songs for myself, all the others were for a specific singer. I've been lucky to work with 2 very different ones. We didn't have success but we had a lot of fun. I'm ok with that, it was worth doing.

10. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Wow. A lot of good things expressed here. I did not find the poll answers I had. Myself? I just love making noise. Music is a big part of me. In my head all the time.In not so good times, music was an escape for me. Inside my head, that is. Music and rhythm just is so natural to me. I make up songs in my head constantly. Seems so easy to do. Everything. Percussions, base lines, rhythm, fx effects. Not all at once tho!lol. Given that, I have never produced a song rl. Just getting started. I feel a guitar can give the most "expression" one can get out of an instrument. So many sounds that can be reproduced off the way the string is, plucked, hit, stroked ... and so forth. My goal is for an instrument to be an extention of my thoughts. Think the sound and transpose it through an instrument without effort. Might take more than 10,000 hours! Haha. That is why I love modular synth systems. You create the sound(s) before applying to a song. I challenge myself to make a song out of 3 notes. Use three notes and create an (somewhat) enjoyable sound. No octives! Bending is ok. Wanna expand? Try 4 notes, but that seem way easier. I love a good personal challenge.
    As far as song writing, I have no discovered talent there. To the point that I have never thought to write a song. That is for story tellers.Retired now and play daily. Dreams do come true.

11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Inspiration to write a song usually comes from words; might be a single line, might be a whole story.
    Inspiration to make up music is usually accidental; play a couple of things that sound good together and construct the rest around it.
    Inspiration to play the guitar just happens; hits me out of nowhere.
    Motivation to do those things is another matter entirely.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Interestingly or oddly I’m pretty sure I picked up some of my playing style under that particular influence!
    A few nights I recall seeing my hands fretting all notes at the same time sort of superhuman hallucination, but then the next day others who were not brain altered commented on my playing in ways that confirmed my recall.
    The last time would be circa ‘88 when a roommate had a dropper bottle in the freezer.
    The guy was a bass player and his old man invented the heart surgery technique where they insert balloons and blow them up to enlarge narrowed arteries.
    So he was rich and only bought the best!
    Later he pretty much gave me his fretless Alembic.

Anyhow there’s ways I approach phrasing that are very exploding brains based.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  13. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

It comes and it goes. Sometimes the only thing that gets me to play is the thought of losing my fingertip calluses if I don't.

Aristeas, 4pickupguy and Flip G like this.
  14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

We'll clean up after you!

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

It’s cheaper than therapy.

darkwaters and 4pickupguy like this.
  16. Aristeas

Aristeas TDPRI Member

Fantastic, I am so jealous of that ability. Just glorious to have that kind of sensory overlap. Kinda reminds me of Joe Namath talking about "feeling the color" was what told him where to pass the ball.

4pickupguy likes this.
  17. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire

None of the above... it's the sounds, the tones... I'm just compelled to pick up the guitar and ideas, new voicings, chord changes, melodies come out - from where, I have no idea. When I hear those sounds, I'm invigorated and on I go. I don't write "songs", but I do compose music. I have no interest nor motivation to try to express myself with lyrics.... it's the sound of the notes, harmonies, and voicings that move me.

Every few days or a week, a new composition idea of some sort springs forth, I record it, exercise and massage it for a week or two, until the next new thing pops out... and the cycle continues on and on. I regularly explore new techniques, different scales, different ways to play the same scales, and always enjoying new and different voicings and unusual chords. That's what motivates me.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020 at 3:35 AM
    Aristeas likes this.
  18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

At times it has been debilitating, others times alone with a good set of headphones and a good album it can be amazing. Waking up to my phone going off can be very startling. Oddly enough it helps to play, even up kinda loud. It’s not rare at all. Most people who have it just don’t know anything else, so they don’t even know they have it. My recent quest for fuzz is partly do to how intense they ‘look’ when playing alone. I believe It’s the reason I like jazz fusion too. When it’s bad though, which isn’t often, it can be bad. It’s colors yes, but they simply accompany a peripheral intensity. Impossible to put into words. “Feeling the color” is as close as anyone can get.

I can tell you this however, I do not experience sounds or music ‘more’ or ‘deeper’ than other people which I’ve had people say to me. If anything it’s quite the opposite. My wife seems to get more correct than I do when trying to dissect a tune. She seems love complex harmony even more than I do. I wish I could ‘actually hear’ as much as she does.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020 at 6:06 AM
    Aristeas likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

the whole music thing has been with me since i was 12 ,I was gobsmacked and i studied every thing i could about it , I would send away for catalogues and price lists from Fender, gibson , moog, Arp, allen & heath, Amek, Carvin , maestro, marshall, Roland , Korg, Kelsey, peavey etc. to learn everything I could , and its been a drive ever since. I spend at least 2 hrs aday playing or repairing something.

Aristeas and 4pickupguy like this.
  20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Seeing an incredible performance from a live artist always gets me very excited. Unfortunately we really can’t do that right now. I love the energy from the crowd and I love discovering new artists and I love seeing old favorites. Always makes me want to come home and play and play.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.