What inspires or motivates you to play your guitar or write music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 4pickupguy, Sep 9, 2020.

What inspires or motivates you to play your guitar or write music most?

1. Life events / circumstances?

58 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. New artist/album discovery?

28 vote(s)
    28.3%
  3. A new guitar, amp or pedal (new sound)?

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. New musical advancement in technique or theory?

35 vote(s)
    35.4%
  5. An upcoming gig or new band tune?

24 vote(s)
    24.2%
  6. A concert or club performance by somebody?

12 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Something you read on a guitar forum?

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Fame and glory, adoration of millions.

4pickupguy and LAPlayer like this.
  2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I guess learning something new makes me want to try and apply it. Good live performances are inspiring in that they make me want to play, not necessarily write.

4pickupguy and LAPlayer like this.
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Excellence (pursuit of), communication, fraternity, women.

4pickupguy, LAPlayer and gitapik like this.
  4. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dat’s da ticket!

Then there’s always the inevitable, “Tone” issue. It can take you to fantastic places when it grabs you. Hang on and enjoy the ride, wot ho!!!

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

I’m always catching chord progressions or grooves with my phone recorder. These sit around until I get a subject matter inspiration.

Those tend to come from real stories about (usually infamous) people. I wonder what it’s like to stand in their shoes, to be making choices or decisions from their point of view... and overlay that with something from my own experience.

When I get a lyric or hook idea, the whole song tends to come together fast. I usually compose into GarageBand or Logic, so I can capture structure with guitar, bass and vocals.

I either “finish” it there, or take it to my band for jamming and fleshing out.

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I just really like the sound. :)

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hard to answer really, almost sounds like a trick question.
    I thought my answering life events circumstances would be less popular but it’s at 66%.

I’m also not sure it applies to the original inspiration or the daily motivation and I’m not really even sure that changed since back when originally I chose to play music.

One reason that was clear was I thought I could find freedom in playing music.
    Turned out to be all structure but looking for freedom within that structure still delivers now a lot like it did when it was still new and filled with discovery.

Part of my daily motivation now is actually my wife, who is a painter that needs to feel she’s in a creative environment.
    When I play better she gets charged up by it.
    When I feel like I suck she doesn’t complain.
    I used to have lots of other musicians to play and sometimes perform with but not really for a while.

Keeping up my skills is a motivation!
    If I find another project or band I want to be reasonably capable, but much of those skills really require keeping up in ensemble playing, so the isolation kind of sucks.

4pickupguy and Aristeas like this.
  8. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

None of the above. I played to pay the mortgage, college tuition for child and keep Mrs. Player happy. All that came about because I ate, slept, dreamed and lived music since I was 8 years old. Now everything's paid for and I have few bills. Now, semi-retired, I play only when and what I want and for extra pocket cash. I have to practice 3-4 times a week to keep the chops up.

Hey_you, 4pickupguy and gitapik like this.
  9. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

"I can't help it. It's my nature."

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I just like to play the guitar. Simple answer, but it's true. I don't have to motivate myself to play the guitar, because there is nothing that I would rather be doing most of the time.

And it's easier to carry around than a piano.

11. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

At 69 not much anymore. Hell I haven't picked up my tele in soon to be three wks, and im only here to read the BS.

4pickupguy likes this.
  12. Aristeas

Aristeas TDPRI Member

I developed my own creative process early in the 1990s. Back then I was a psych-based management consultant and wanted to be more creative, so I researched it and came up with a six-stage process to follow and 'loaded it into the brain'.

It still works, and now I'm focussed on playing and writing more than ever before. Currently I'm recording/writing during the covid lockdown.

I'm also a 'every guitar has its own sound ad comes with some songs inside it'. 3 months ago I took out my Rickenbacker 660 six-string and spent 6 weeks mastering its fretboard and tone possibilities. That led to recording some chord progressions and riffs, which has put me where I am now - following where the music takes me as I record.

I also 'plugged in' the Hirojoshi scale, studied it, learned it, played it obsessively. Now it's opening up new sounds and songs. including this:

Just a short instrumental thing with the Ric as rhythm, a Jimmie Vaughan Strat as lead, and a Gretcsh Baritone for the key riff.

Ed Driscoll likes this.
  13. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

I love the process: finding an interesting riff or chord progression, writing a guide melody for the vocals, writing the lyrics, structuring the song, replacing the scratch parts with keepers, adding effects, and then mixing it all down. Plus I love that it connects the middle-aged me with a ton of gear and computer-based technology with the 20-something me trying make the most of his four-track cassette recorder. I think you have to really enjoy the whole process of creating via technology; as Stanley Kubrick said in 1960, "I don't think that writers or painters or film-makers function because they have something they particularly want to say. They have something that they feel. And they like the art form: they like words, or the smell of paint, or celluloid and photographic images and working with actors. I don't think that any genuine artist has ever been oriented by some didactic point of view, even if he thought he was."

Aristeas and 4pickupguy like this.
  14. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

I don't know that what inspires me falls in any of those poll categories.

With regard to songwriting:

Many years ago my musical mentor taught me that "quantum leaps" in our artistic skill come from two things - study and practice.

You study hard to understand what techniques or concepts other people used successfully. He used to say "the best artists are the ones you see studying in a gallery."

At the same time, you practice and work to advance your understanding of your art.

Eventually, the two disciplines of study and practice converge and you ascend to the next level.

20 years later, I think he was right. I study a lot. I buy sheet music, sit at the piano and play through songs I love or find interesting. I don't play them so much as work thru them. I try to understand how the melody/harmony/rhythm work together to elevate the song.

Then, to practice, I play with the concepts I'm studying. I develop melodies and harmonize them along the lines of the music I've been studying, but using my past experience to inform my efforts. Sometimes the inspiration flows like water, sometimes it doesn't. But the process of study and then implementing what I have studied is key.

With regard to playing guitar:

I've been playing over thirty years now, so what motivates me is mostly just habit. I get that feeling, pick up a guitar, and play. I might sing a few 70s rock songs while I play, I might go for an extended blues jam, I might run thru some jazz standards, I might try to actually improve my playing by working out some jazz licks and then playing them over and over until they fall naturally under my fingers. I just entertain myself in the moment for as long as that moment lasts.

But now that I reread the question - what inspires me to play?

I love music.

Aristeas, teletimetx and 4pickupguy like this.
  15. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Meister

Just being ''musically creative'' etc motivates.i'm not content[never was] jwith ust learning song X & FINISH.Even learning a new song can 'motivate',desiring more.the strings are there to be played not looked at!!

Charlie Bernstein and 4pickupguy like this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t have a specific reason I just like to play

So I guess that’s circumstances

Charlie Bernstein and 4pickupguy like this.
  17. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

I love music. In my ideal world..Less talk, More music. I play almost every day.

I hear a new or old song on Sirius and make a note to try and play it. From Sinatra to - Right now I'm playing Chris Stapleton stuff(I know I'm 3 years late..lol) His honky tonk life songs relate to my prior life and I love a catchy lyric/phrase.

My technique and skills are improving...I'm 63. I can play songs better and in new ways.
    I'm 100% acoustic right now and 80% playing with fingers only. Singing is coming along.

I use an old app called Guitartapp Pro. It is an editable and scrollable song searcher. I really don't have many songs memorized, but I can "play", decently, 1000+ songs with the chord charts and tabs.

Hey_you and 4pickupguy like this.
  18. kristen

kristen TDPRI Member

A lot of the stuff I wrote about was political in nature. Some people liked it some didn't. But it encouraged "the thought process". Today the thought process is impeded if it upsets anybody. I don't care about upsetting people, but now they get violent. So i don't write.
    Although I like a good love song, I really can't do it. I am sad.

19. JoesTele

JoesTele Tele-Holic

These inspire me to play:

- new piece of gear
    - boredom
    - wanting to play a song that I like
    - the fact that I have 15 guitars. I better use them, no?

oldgofaster and 4pickupguy like this.
  20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

None of the above. What inspires me to play and write is that I enjoy it.

Aristeas and 4pickupguy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.