What In The World Is This Thing?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by balraggio, Jun 3, 2019.

1. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I was looking at the GFS website and they sell some Tele necks for $35 or so. If you’re comfortable slicking up the frets a bit I bet they’re okay necks. They also have some of the XGP necks for $58 that I bet are fairly good necks as they come. I’d trust the XGP necks more, I’ve got the bodies and they’re very good. It might be a great mate for that body.
    I’d pick up a Tone Rider or US Tele pull bridge pickup from fleabay and get a neck. I bet it’d be a good player guitar then. I’ve played some ceramic Tele neck pickups that sound pretty good, the ceramic seems to balance the treble the chromed brass cover tends to kill.

2. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

Put it out of its misery.
    It's not even a wall hanger for a small town Appleby's.
    Seriously, that guitar will be a source of endless frustration to anyone who gets stuck with it. Just kill it. With fire.

MrHamburger likes this.
  3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

If your capable to set the neck properly with a router or whatever, a used Fender neck might make that a cool guitar.

4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

people seem to be getting quite twisted up over the fact this guitar is not a vintage fender guitar. Now thats this fact has been established, lets realize a cheap guitar is not necessarily a bad guitar. I bought one of these chinese gretsch guitars for 30$ at the local goodwill.

upload_2019-6-12_10-28-49.jpeg

it has great action and gives a good funk sound. I liked it enough I found another one, so 60$ for 2 guitars. I don't regret a penny and
    I can modify them anyway I want and not have to worry about damaging the "resale" value.

The gretsch synsonic guitar (though Gretsch doesn't put their logo on it)

It aint about how it looks, its about how it plays and how it sounds.

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I was just wondering what the OP ended up deciding to do with the guitar. It seemed like he wasn’t a electric guitar tinker like a lot of us on here but it would be a good learning guitar. I still say it’s got more potential than some people on here let on. I feel sure it could be turned into a decent player. It will never be like a American Tele but it should make a beater/player.

6. moremoose

moremoose TDPRI Member

Definitely a Fakerooni. Amongst the other obvious clues, the paisley wallpaper and pink paint are the wrong colors.

7. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

More like baked maple.

8. TwangerWannabe

You must have really not liked that acoustic you traded away for that thing.

9. TwangerWannabe

I agree it's a great learning guitar. Perfect for learning about what makes a fake Fender.

10. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I think it’s freaking cute! I like the weird headstock shape.
    I can’t imagine that neck will play very good.
    Is this your first electric guitar?
    If so, I would recommend tossing that neck and getting a used squier neck. (A strat neck will work but there will be visible gaps in the corners of the neck pocket)
    That way you’re not having to do any finishing or cutting a nut. Then take it to a tech and pay them to set it up for you.
    A guitar that’s hard to play or that buzzes is going to discourage you from wanting to pick it up.
    If you’re excited to have a project I would still say toss that hack job neck and order a mighty mite or allparts neck.
    I’ve finished a neck with Tru oil before and it’s super simple, you just rub it on with your fingers. (Available at hardware & sporting goods stores)
    Good luck and enjoy your Tele!

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I snapped up six pair of genuine Kevin Klein underpants for £2.75 recently. Friend paid £75 for some or other fake ones with Calvin Klein labels. You’ve just gotta be so careful these days.

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I picked up a reasonable looking badly made ‘LP-Alike’ recently fir £15. Spent a few days getting it reasonably playable and gave to a young lad I know, one of five kids in a single parent family, through no fault of his Mum. Anyway, first position chords and gentle strumming it sounds good, plays OK and the smile on his face when’s he’s playing would have been worth four times tge money and effort I put in. To all those who advised smashing it, I say, you’re lucky enough to be able to afford to. Bet I got and gave more pleasure doing it my way.......................idea fir a sing there!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.