What In The World Is This Thing?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by balraggio, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Guitarfetish Tele bodies have a long history of ferrule holes not matching up with the tailpiece.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Oh sure, if it's a cold day then firewood has plenty of potential.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

knockeduptele and SheldonP like this.
  3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

I think it’s kinda cool.

kraigo and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm not even sure it's a Squier neck. The headstock shape looks off, the 12th fret markers are wide ( not an absolute marker, I know ), the fretboard end seems rather unfinished, the heel end of the back of the neck looks somehow wrong for a Squier too.

Nice body, shame about the neck.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

It reminds me of an old girlfriend who bought a Louis Vuitton knockoff purse at a flea market.
    Anybody with even below-average eyesight could tell it was fake from 20 yards away,
    but what the hell, she was happy with it for a while, at least.
    Find a new or used aftermarket Telecaster neck, then work on the other items that need upgrading, replacement or improvement in order to make you more pleased with it. It's yours to own and enjoy and play, not mine.
    Good luck!

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  6. balraggio

balraggio TDPRI Member

These comments are great. You are all confirming what I assumed. I played the lottery and lost. I knew it was a long shot.

I don't think the old guy was lying, but he did mention his son used it for a few years, so i'm wondering if his son pulled something on his old man.

7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

Bridge saddles screwed that far forward would be a red flag for me. Indicates the neck isn't seated properly, the bridge is in the wrong place, or someone doesn't know how to set intonation. Anything's possible when you're dealing with mutt guitars like this. Maybe a new neck would solve that issue.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Old man was lying. Nothing on that guitar is 20 years old. He's a hobbyist woodworker who put together something and pulled a fast one.

Age and honesty do not go hand in hand.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I had an MIJ Fender Paisley Tele reissue I got new in the 80s. The body and appointments on this look pretty much the same as far as I can remember aside from the neck pickup ring.

It's also been too long to remember specifics about the bridge.

The neck is a whole other story of course. That's all kinds of wrong.

balraggio likes this.
  10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

and now the real question.........

how does it sound when you play it?

Moriarty likes this.
  11. magicfingers99

question 2.

how does it feel in your hands? is it comfortable, does it feel right?
    is the weight balanced for your physique?

play it for an hour or two and then decide. If I judge every guitar by how it looks, I'd probably only own about 3 guitars.

this is how you learn, a somewhat dodgy guitar, can teach you a lot about how to set it up for yourself, and what aspects of a guitar can make it good or bad, and how that can be sometimes a matter of taste, and sometimes its just a matter of geometry and can't be changed..

you did good, you will learn more from this guitar, then a fresh store bought squire.

congratulations you have started an education.. use your new knowledge wisely...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  12. magicfingers99

its a nonconformist string on a noncomformist guitar, the high e is meant to be ironic. dontcha understand art?

Davecan, balraggio and LunarSlingShot like this.
  13. magicfingers99

get some of this

https://www.vintiquefinishes.com/product-page/norton-soft-touch-sanding-sponge-micro-fine-1200-1500

upload_2019-6-4_11-37-54.jpeg

you want the p1500-P1200 pad. Its a sanding sponge, use this on the neck, both sides, but especially the back. This will smooth the neck down and get rid of the burn marks, or at least blend them and lighten them if you don't want to spend to much time sanding.

these are wet/dry, so you can rinse them out and go right back to sanding. the pad will load up with dust as you use it and will need to be rinsed and squeezed between uses.

when you've got it smooth to your liking, go over the neck with coconut oil, I use organic, but since you're not eating it, its not critical. a few dops to a 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon should do the whole neck.
    let it soak in for a couple minutes, then wipe it all off.

Coconut oil melts somewhat below body temp, like chocolate, so if a film remains, it will melt at your touch providing just a scootch of lube going up, down and all around the neck.

You'll need a somewhat higher grit 100-300 to go over the sides of the heel and take that wood smooth, otherwise when you try to work the high frets, you'll be fighting the heel and battling splinters. It may be easier to take the neck off for that work, its pretty simple, if you can work a screwdriver you can take it off. Take the strings off first though, it makes it easier, you can also slack the strings, put on a capo, at the 1st fret and then take the neck off if you want to leave the strings on. its like wrasslin an octopus though if you do work on it like that.....

get one of these off ebay/amazon etc.

upload_2019-6-4_11-46-8.jpeg you can pay from about 3$ to 15$ for one of these, so shop around. Use this to check your string height and adjust the nut and saddles to get optimal string height.

enjoy making it "your guitar" not somebody elses...

14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It is absolutely a Guitar Fetish/GFS body, made of Pawlonia. I bought one a year ago on their website for $50 just for fun.

Pawlonia isn't actually a bad wood, it just has VEYY plain grain and is structurally just above balsa wood - so screws have to be installed by hand ONLY - no powered drill-type screwdriver, as even on the lowest torque setting it's possible to strip the wood.

But the light weight makes the guitar nicely resonant, and with good pickups and decent neck (I used an old Mitey Mite I had from the 60's) you can end up with a great sounding/playing guitar that weighs under 7 pounds.

It'll just have vey little resale value - really based on the quality of the neck, pickups, hardware and the setup. The body really has little inherent value, looks nothing like the original paisleys and is easily dented/damaged.

Lesson - NEVER make a trade for a supposed vintage instrument unless you know what you're doing or have somebody you can contact to verify originality. Vintage dealers estimate that 75-80% of vintage Fenders offered for sale are fakes or have critical replacement parts. It takes an expert dealer or tech or VERY experienced collector to certify one.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The guitar looks cool from the front. From the back the neck looks ridiculous. It's a cool-looking guitar, though. Play it!

balraggio likes this.
  16. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

That nut is nutty.

balraggio likes this.
  17. balraggio

balraggio TDPRI Member

It isn't the age that makes me think that, it's was his mental state. I don't believe he had the faculties to sustain the lie with the questions I asked (I was a little concerned he even drove to meet me) though he may very well have been completely making up the history becuase of this.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. balraggio

balraggio TDPRI Member

The front pickup actually sounds reaally good, so i'm wondering if him saying it was replaced with an american pickup is true

19. balraggio

balraggio TDPRI Member

Not sure how it feels since the strings feel about 5 years old and one of them is strung wrong, but i need to restring it and try. I think the intonation will be way off from the little i've played so far.

20. balraggio

balraggio TDPRI Member

Wow, thank you so much. I copyed this post for reference later when i mess with the guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.