What if they made a PV Bandit with tubes?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Les H, Aug 2, 2019.

1. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

It's called a Bandit because it steals tube amps' lunch money. If it was just another one of those old guard preps at recess it wouldn't be the same.

SolidSteak likes this.
  2. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

A closer tube equivalent, imo, was the superb Bravo. I'd love one!

3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If the Bandit were a tube amp it would be a different amp - probably heavier, with a different sound, probably more expensive, probably less reliable.
    Maybe it would be like...a Classic 30? I dunno. You can't just take a SS amp and put in some tubes, and voila a different and better amp.

4. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I understand what you're saying and I'm not pointing you out specifically but I guess the jest of my thread is what if was essentially the same amp, sound, weight, cosmetics etc but with tubes. Would it be considered as good in the tube world as it is in the solid state world. Is it only good because it's solid state? Would you buy a tube amp that sounded like a Bandit? Could it's popularity ever rival a Deluxe Reverb?

It's just a goofy question. I own a Bandit and for solid-state it's a decent amp but with some shortcomings in the sound department and I've wondered could those shortcomings be corrected if it had tubes.

5. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

This is not that related to the initial question that Les H asked, but then again, it sorta is...
    I've often wondered what amp the Bandit sounded the most like. Marshall? Fender? (I kinda doubt that) Mesa Boogie?

6. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

I guess you’d have to quantify what you think those shortcomings in the sound are; what don’t you love about a Bandit’s sound?

7. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

The only vintage Peavey that I have been given is a Solid-State Special 130 :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only drawback that I find on him is that it lack deepness in the bass range... That's why I don't use it so much. It comes from its equalization, not the Scorpion speaker with can rival an EVM12L. It's probably moddable, but my attemps until now proved unsuccessful...

And yes, I remember the Peavey 1x12" of the same era and size that was full tube with a Black Widow speaker : Triumph ? Artist ? MX BW ? Sorry I can't recall its name - I have still a 1983 catalog where it is described...

Peavey could reissue that kind of amps in a Vintage Collection, but i'm not sure that it would meet a great success, unfortunately.

That said, the Peavey that I held in high consideration is the Delta Blues 1x15", with a few drawbacks thought :

- no general Master Volume in order to maintain clean/lead balance no matter the volume you play, by a simple turn of a knob.
    - a tendency to adverse mechanical noises and vibrations difficult to eradicate.

A+!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    tidalcast likes this.
  8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

That amp was probably EQ'd to protect the speaker. That speaker isn't as efficient as the EV, or as rugged. Peavey speakers sound good, but are prone to overheating and over-extrusion if pushed to their limits. I'm not gonna look it up, but was it Billy Joel who had a bunch of Peavey PA speakers fry all at once at a concert a long time ago? I mean, how hard can that guy be on speakers?

9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Here's the 12" Peavey Scorpion speaker coming from my Special 130 (forgot the cap protecting tentatively the moving coil vent ;)) :

[​IMG]

Well... It doesn't look like a toy compared to my ALTEC 417-8H and EVM12L below :

[​IMG]

That said, yes : it's probable that the amp was EQ'ed to protect the speaker, or even had a tailored response for heavy rock (for avoiding muddy/farty overdrive-distortion tone), which was the sound fashion at that time... For the moment, I did not found where to search to "open" the bass range a bit more.o_O

I measured the output power on a resistive load of 8R, @400Hz sinus, and obtained circa 160W RMS clean, at the onset of clipping. Yes... Powerful !

-tbln

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

The Bandit is what it is ... Nothing more ,
    nothing less ... Next question ????

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, they actually had gold/tan/brownish cosmetics. So did the Bravo.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.