What If: The Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by artdecade, May 18, 2016.

1. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Charlie Watts is the foundation of the Stones. His laid-back jazz style is what separated them from all the other teenie bands of that era, and still does, perfect blues-rock.

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Dick Wagner guitarist song writer really coulda made things interesting. Imagine the Stones ALL clean from 76 on........

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

He may not have wanted him to quit, but he sure didn't do anything to make him want to stay.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Charlie Watts is the house.

Fiesta Red and televillian like this.
  5. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Who was around at the time, was the right age and, most importantly, had the right look. Even Ian Stewart was kept in the background because he looked too normal. Ronnie Woods looked the part.

6. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I read somewhere that Mick Taylor left over a disagreement for part ownership of 'Moonlight Mile', 'Sway' and 'Time Waits for No One'. If that's true, they threw away the component (Taylor) that elevated their band to elite levels. I stopped listening after that. Same old mediocre stuff - nothing interesting for 40 years.

VT22 likes this.
  7. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Steve earl would have fit the country-esq vibe they romanced with in the 70s.

Maybe they would have given a kid named chris Robinson a shot.

I would love to hear a stones record with Lowell George on it.

Though I don't like him, Bob Margolin's side-man ego would have gelled with the stones. Ultimately a short-lived stint.

8. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Another HUGE Taylor era fan here, heck I even have one of his solo albums ( the song Leather Jacket is very solid. )

Of the guys around at the time it would have to have been someone with the same jazz like precision that Taylor had and was also enough of a party animal to fit in.

At the time he left I recall that there had been a concert stop where he was trying to keep up with Keef and Mick. He was so wasted he could hardly play. He said that was the night he decided he just could not go on like that or it would kill him.

9. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Wayne Perkins. 'Hand of Fate'. He didn't have 'the look' the Stones wanted, so they booted him and chose Keith's buddy Ron. Perkins was no Mick Taylor, but at least he would have given them a more legitimate rock-blues sound.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 in every way.

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think it was the point in time just as much as having Taylor in the band that made the music they produced then stand out. Just look at what other bands did in that period that they never recaptured-The Who comes immediately to mind, and they didn't have any lineup changes until Moonie died in 1978. 1968-1972 seemed to be a transitional period in music that stands on its own outside of the stuff that came before and after.

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Didn't they extend a legitimate invite to Roy Buchanan (who declined) to join? Now, that would have been something.

13. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Either Dick Wagner or Steve Hunter would've been good too.

As for Charlie Watts?...Listen to this...the man is like an express train here. Driving and swinging the band along like a maniac. He is a metronome. At about 2 mins in he puts the pedal to the metal. Than there are the dynamics halfway through. Not to mention the ridiculous bass and guitar interplay of Wyman, Taylor and Richards.

Then there is this...metronome time.

Most so called "good drummers" could only wish they had this mans sense of time. He pretty well invented the style he plays that millions have copied.

artdecade and dkmw like this.
  14. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Maybe but if you have to be talked into staying in the Stones you really don't want to be there.

15. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Roy Buchanan seemed to always tell this story and says he declined because he didn't want to have to learn all those songs. I love Roy but I'm call BS on this. This has never been mentioned anywhere by anybody else 'cept Roy. This would not have been a good fit.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Maybe being an abusive a-hole to him all the time made him not want to be there?

From what I understand (and none of us were there, we're just relying on whatever stories we've read over the years) Keith was intimidated by Taylor's musical ability. Which is sad, given that no matter how talented Taylor was, he wasn't Keith Richards. As others have mentioned, there's a dynamic in the Stones- basically, it's the Jagger/Richards show and you don't upstage them. Mick Taylor was clearly taking the spotlight as a soloist, and he was writing some pretty good tunes, too (again, he wasn't capable of carrying a band like Jagger and Richards, but he was coming up with some signature riffs). Keith complained at the time that Taylor's playing was "two showy"- on a practical level I'm sure he understood how much Taylor brought to the band, he just wanted to put him in his place. Finally Taylor had enough and quit.

Your interpretation of history may be different, and since neither of us was there who really knows? The fact remains though, Mick Taylor's tenure in the Stones (coincidentally also Jimmy Miller's, which I'm sure had something to do with it too) was their obvious high water mark as a band. They had great moments with Woody, but never the sustained greatness of the '69-'74 period.

GeorgiaHonk likes this.
  17. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

Boy howdy. I saw Mick Taylor at a small club in the mid80s and it was one of the two worst live performances (by an established act) I've ever seen. The band arrived in town too late for a sound check. They arrived at the club and realized they'd left the keyboard player, Max Middleton, back at the hotel! After fetching him, they started late and sounded like ass. Their coked-out road manager jumped onstage and started signaling the sound guy with a flashlight to get him to make adjustments. Very subtle. It took them 45 minutes to achieve a decent sound. On a positive note, the last two songs sounded good.

Mick's obviously a great player, but the combination of drugs, poor choices, drugs, bad associations and drugs sadly impacted what could have been an epic career.

18. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Hear! Hear!

Steve Marriott would have been the perfect choice. He would have kicked Mick out of the Stones who then had become a real rock band!! :D

GeorgiaHonk likes this.
  19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Mick and Keith left that so-called legitimate sound behind and went on to reggae, punk (ish), disco, funk, soul, and pop, while still sounding like The Rolling Stones. They branched out into new styles, which they might not have done with Taylor or Perkins.

Lots of people wished they had copied Exile and Sticky Fingers over and over and over, but I'm glad they did Hey Negrita, Beast of Burden, Shattered, Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold, Start Me Up, Harlem Shuffle, and many others that weren't legitimate rock-blues songs.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

List 'em.

Go ahead and let me guess - a drummer with more "chops", more "technical ability" - stuff along those lines ?

List 'em.

I can wait.

And the reason for that was...?

Yeah - all the solos and fills by Mick Taylor. No - because it was THE SONGS.

So - it must have been all those brilliant songs that Mick T wrote. Because - he really stepped up there and added to their legacy w/ all those classic songs.

Oh - he didn't write anything, that's right.

But that's because they were keeping him down. When he left however, that's when his genius really flowered and he bestowed all those classics upon the world with all his memorable solo albums.

Oh - wait - that never happened either.

I fall in with the group that says THE SONGS by Mick/Keith were what made '68-'74.

Furthermore, if Ronnie joined in '68/'69 instead of Mick Taylor , and then Mick Taylor joined them in '75 to replace Woods ?

History of the Stones would be exactly the same.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.