What if I have two pedals that need to be first?

Grandy

Tele-Holic
Is there any way around this? Some digital pedals need to have clean signal to track properly and some old fuzzes want to be first too. Some kind of compromise could possibly be reached but it's still a compromise.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
ABY switch might do the trick?

EDIT: sorry...only one sip into my first cup of coffee...it would take two ABYs which is cumbersome. So, I have nothing :confused:. Good Morning!

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Is there any way around this? Some digital pedals need to have clean signal to track properly and some old fuzzes want to be first too. Some kind of compromise could possibly be reached but it's still a compromise.
Some kind of split cable where one output goes into wherever and the other goes into the finicky digi-thing?

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If the fuzz has a true-bypass switch, it can go first and when it’s off then the next pedal in line is “first”. This only applies if you’re not trying to use them together.

If neither pedal is true bypass, or you want to use them at the same time, then you need to try it both ways and determine for yourself which way works better.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You could try a loop manager pedal, basically a mini mixer.

You could bypass your tuner if you have a buffer tuner.

I've been getting fuzz pedals with buffer killers modded to work around this lately but you didn't ask about that.

Another way that sometimes works is to put one of the devices in an effects loop if your amp as that. But this is similar to the first thing I said.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Not really much to go on. Some pedals track o.k. even with fuzz before and many fuzzes work fine as the second pedal.

Have you actually tried this, or just posting to waste time? Are actual pedals involved?

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
It seems every pedal wants to be first. Just try them and see how they do. Some really, really want to be first. If you have one, put that one first.

Example: I have an OCD distortion pedal that responds really nicely to pick dynamics if there isn't a buffer or active pedal between the guitar pickup and the OCD. So it should go first. But I have a Fuzz Factory that sounds crazier (it always sounds crazy) if there's anything running before it. A compressor needs to see a good clear signal to work best, so it should be first. And my envelope filter needs to be first because it also responds to picking dynamics, which a buffer or active pedal would mess with. My answer: First, if the pedal is true bypass and won't be run at the same time as another pedal, it doesn't count. Fuzz Factory is true bypass, and I won't run it at the same time as the OCD. So it can be before the OCD. Same for the compressor. I don't need it when the OCD is on, so it can go before the OCD, too. The envelope filter will run at the same time as the OCD sometimes, but when it does, the fine points of pick dynamics will matter more for the filter than the OCD, so it goes before the OCD. What I end up with is this order: Fuzz Factory (really, really needs to be first), envelope filter, compressor, OCD. This works fine even though all of these are pedals that want to be first.

stevehollx

TDPRI Member
Splitting before a fuzz (tuner, Y, etc.) or a buffer both aren’t what you want. The fuzz needs to see guitar impedance and any buffer or pedal would impact that. Germanium most picky, but silicone fuzz may also be best in front too. A couple fuzz circuits are designed to work with a buffer before it, but that’s more rare and is probably sacrificing some of the fuzz magic/chaos with an unbuffered signal.

If next pedal is sensing pitch, just dont expect it to work well with the fuzz on.

Of course you CAN put a fuzz after a buffer, but it usually sounds really harsh. You lose the sweetness, ability for volume knob interaction, etc. If you like the sound/feel that way though, go ahead. Some people (a minority) prefer a fuzz after a buffer.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
put em in the ring and let em duke it out? ok seriously..there are some digital patching floor pedal dealies out there that may allow you to do parallel routing if so and i think there are..they can both be 1st..would that work for you? i assume you are currently doing a series setup

Last edited: