1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What if???? Every driver entered the intersection

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Mar 1, 2019.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Thank you.

boneyguy likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

The dog said holy s$%t The music to that video should be a song from YES!

3. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

You should see the blank look on folks faces in roundabouts here in Scottsdale.

4. 392Hemi

392Hemi Tele-Meister

I'm not sure cars have turn signals. There is indication that auto makers stopped putting them on cars. They also black out tail lights now. Let's all black out our tail lights so we can get slammed in the rear and get some necks snapped.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Where I live, the % of drivers able to keep track of when three other cars arrive at their respective stop signs is just about zero. I guess applied arithmetic is too much for some minds to handle. Maybe there's a way to program the car...

scrapyardblue likes this.
  6. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

How's that meme go....

"You think your life has no purpose?
    Think about the guy at (insert car brand), who spends his time installing turn signals."

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Here, simple roundabouts seem to work well around residential areas and other places where speed limits are low anyway - once people get used to them.

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Left turns are simple, if you don't drive on the wrong side of the road...

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah I get it now, but what if an idiot runs a dark orange light preventing you from actually turning before everything turns red, you are stuck in the middle of the intersection and the other idiot won’t let you turn because he has the right of way.
    You assume you are the only one who wants to run an orange light.
    Also, in my part of the world, unless YOU have the priority to turn (which makes this whole thread a moot point) the pedestrian IS allowed to walk, i.e.: has a green light, only when you get your turn left arrow does the pedestrian get a red light.
    Unfortunately, these ideas work well if there are no idiots on the road, which is impossible to achieve.
    It’s like the right to turn right on red , which is relatively new here, there is always an idiot who does not understand what it means to be allowed to turn when it is “safe” to do so.
    As for roundabouts there is one near my place I take regularly, unfortunately no one read the instructions manual, they put traffic lights on the roundabout, so sometimes you have to wait a a traffic light entering and at one exiting the roundabout.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Thank you. I was thinking last night on my commute home to start another idiots in traffic thread here. Should be a sticky.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

No, I really thought it was kind. The roundabouts do show people behind the wheel who are daft and slow to react. When I get local complaints I think of some outside the US. At one place every one of many trips has always been seeing a car on its roof or side.

Close to home I’m convinced a high percentage of the people who drive 47 - 57 MPH in the left lane at rush hour or on holidays are same people who stop part way into a roundabout and honk at others.

13. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

#
    Roundabouts are a great idea, as are mini-roundabouts (very prevalent in the UK). They work well and keep the traffic flowing. I make an exception for the Magic Roundabout. Many years ago I had to use it coming back from a gig. I've never been back to Swindon again! :eek:

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The OP has essentially described the operation of a simple roundabout. 90% of the time I don’t need to stop or even brake at one.

US stop junctions are incredibly bad... just about the worst possible configuration.

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This winter’s weather has created a long-running regional idiots parade. Imagine much fluctuation and records or near records for snow, freezing rain & temperatures. Much is just shaking your head over stupid moves but it’s been tragic too. The floods never fully receded before freeze so broken pavement is much worse than average. Pile ups have been common including 20 or so to a 131 car pileup and deaths. A semi flew off a bridge and made a semi-shaped hole in the lake 131 feet below killing two.

I don’t find most of it funny because we had the experience of losing a family member to an idiot driver. It’s a reminder of how much better we’ll be with new era transportation systems and technology.

16. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Our state has been installing roundabouts for the last few years. I don't see it as a big deal, just something new that requires a little getting used to.

17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

They're going to put a round about in town at a corner down the street from my office. Since I work for the entity that's overseeing the project I have the plans.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of work that goes into one if these things! There's a guy on one counter that WILL NOT SELL his house or give up any right of way. So the whole thing has to be moved over.
    Then there's all the underground utilities that have to moved, fiber optics, gas pipelines, sewer, water and whatever else is barried.
    The high poles will probably need to be reworked as well.
    Then there's service roads. . . .
    Get all that done and there's still a lot of dirt work to do before all the pavement goes in.
    SOMEHOW all that is cheaper than just putting up a stoplight, because apparently those have high maintenance costs.
    I don't necessarily disagree with round abouts, but the cost is high to retrofit them and the roads in between them are shot. So at some point one has to wonder, if these are the best use of limited funding.
    And maybe they are safer, but people will always find a way to get themselves killed on our roads. Up here most of the fatals happen out in the country. I don't even recall the last one in town.

18. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

We spent a month in Ireland in 2017 and had to learn to negotiate roundabouts. They have some real advantages once you get used to them. They take up more space I think.

I saw a video once which modeled an intersection where all the cars were autonomous and self driving, and the cars were slowing down marginally and missing each other by inches but everything was flowing. I don't think we'll ever see it

BobbyZ likes this.
  19. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

We had a roundabout shoved down our throats here about a year and a half ago. What a huge waste of taxpayer money! People here drive thru it like it's a demolition derby. Instead of slowing down, they speed up...with the "me first" mentality. We've had so many accidents at this. A plain, simple 4-way stop would have been much cheaper and safer, and I would guess that pretty much everyone driving in my area knows what they are when they see one and knows how to read a red stop sign, with a little flashing red light on top. These idiots here just love wasting our money.

BobbyZ and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If they tried that in California it would have 5700 times as many cars, and the resulting energy resulting from the crash would mostly likely jerk the earth right off its axis.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.