What I Learnt in 2021 About… (pedals)

Alcee

TDPRI Member
I learned that, for the most part, the gear I already have has not been fully explored, wrung out, turned around, or pushed to anything like its limit. Consider the following:

IMG_9508.JPG

right to left: a JHS buffered splitter, a diy Foxx Tone Machine, a Wilson Rippah Wah, and a stock Rat. A new one on me! The buffer really opens up the Tone Machine and I would never have realized it if I hadn't just tried it to see how it might sound. I've had all these pieces for awhile (well, a different Tone Machine), so there's nothing really new here to me, except the stacking. What a fun game this is!

Another pic of La Virgen

IMG_9504.JPG

Dean, I enjoy your posts!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I learned the Friedman OD Deluxe delivers the goods live in a loud multi guitar band through a clean amp. Absolutely scorching & sustaining lead tone if that's your thing.

I learned that until I have the pedal and use it with my rig I know nothing!
I already know that MIAB pedals tend to be bassy, that thereare 500 to choose from, that every year the youtube community elects a new best MIAB and drops the last best one, that even with TMB many still have too much bass even with the bass at zero, and that players tastes tell me not a damn thing!
I have so many pedals that deliver a scorching sustaining lead tone in a mix, and keep wanting one that more perfect.
Could it be the Friedman ODD???
Could be!

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I learned that until I have the pedal and use it with my rig I know nothing!
I already know that MIAB pedals tend to be bassy, that thereare 500 to choose from, that every year the youtube community elects a new best MIAB and drops the last best one, that even with TMB many still have too much bass even with the bass at zero, and that players tastes tell me not a damn thing!
I have so many pedals that deliver a scorching sustaining lead tone in a mix, and keep wanting one that more perfect.
Could be!
MIAB = Marshall in a box. TMB = Treble, middle, bass. Not a novice, however had to do a google search.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
Could be!

Try before you buy if possible. I know a lot of people like it. I didn’t care for it at all. I was shocked by how much I disliked it, honestly.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
I've learned that:
- I've underestimated compressors all my live
- I like few different overdrives in the rig, just to compensate for different guitars and situations
- Use volume instead of gain
- I'm definitely happy with no reverb

Last edited:

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Reverb is actually ok! I still don't use it when I'm gigging, though. Maybe this year I will.

Actual Marshall > any MIAB.

Practice while wearing the shoes you intend to wear to the gig; adjust the space between pedals as necessary.

jddub440

Tele-Holic
Digital fuzzes sounds good until you compare with true transistor fuzzes....which of course germanium also better sounding sonically than silicon.....these are facts about what I learnt in 2021.

mojek

Tele-Meister
I learned I can keep my Hot Cake on all the time and use just volume/tone on my Jag to decide the distorted character of my sound.
Also I need no more 5 pedals incl. tuner, so i don’t use pedalboard, which is usually to high to step on :)

Turtleneck

Tele-Holic
I learned that since my TU-1 Boss tuner is in some other phase lately, I can't figure out how to get it back to where it always was telling me EADGBE.

I'm a slow one.....

MarshallHeart

Tele-Afflicted
Hi.

I learnt, I have enough.

So, when I occasionally buy a new one, they should be something quite different and maybe even a bit silly (for me). :)

Hence my last two - a rotary speaker emulator and an auto wah.

View attachment 935652

And that lead me to learn that they can inspire new approaches, or yield unexpected results.

For example, I had no idea a guitar through a rotary speaker emulator pedal, slightly buried in a mix, would randomly poke though on occasion and sound like supporting organ parts.

Edit: and I learnt I prefer my smaller board. Less options does seem to mean less messing around.

And you?

Pax/
Dean

I don*t buy TS-like pedals anymore...I have too many of them