What I have learned :)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys!

Please note that what I'm about to say is only MY take, and I'm confident that many of you already have found out what I just realized, but hopefully this Thread can save a few others from going through the struggles I have gone through to finally get to this point:)

Over the last (2) years I have purchased (and sold) more Telecaster's and Stratocaster's (hell, even a few Gibsons) than I want to even think about.

I've first owned a Road Worn '50s, and it sounded fine/played, as good as I could ever hope for, but then I said let's try other Telecaster's (American Standard, AVRI '52's, American Professional I and II, American Ultra, American Original '60's to name a few) in the hopes that I could find one "better", and every time I bought another one, it sounded just a little different, not "better", just different.

I then purchased a Nash T-52, sold it to my best friend, and then bought a T-63, and I truly love it!

So you would think I would stop at that point, wouldn't you? :) :) :)

I should have, but then I see all these great and not great players playing a Stratocaster, so the buying cycle begins again, and I buy a Nash S-57, a Nash S-63, more MIM and US Fender Strats that again, I don't even want to think about it :)

So after all the selling off, I'm finally left with a Nash T-63 that I decided enough is enough, it's a GREAT guitar, and what more would I EVER need, but then I buy this 2001 MIM Classic 60's Strat, and the more I play it, DAMN, it gives the Nash T-63 a run for playability and sound (again, not "better", but different), and had I not been able to compare the T-63 and Classic '60's Strat side by side, either of them would have been more than good enough/fine for me!

So the point of ALL my rambling is that I'm playing the Strat today, I'm recording it on some of my original songs, and it sounds GREAT, and I just realized that had I kept the Road Worn and just stopped looking for a "better" guitar, had I just bought a MIM Classic 60's Strat, I could have written 50 times more songs, and I should have worked on becoming a better guitar player.

And to top it off, after spending countless hours recording a test track of each guitar I've owned, recording the bridge pickup, the neck pick up, the middle position, etc., does this Tele sound "better", does this Strat sound "better", at the end of the day, each one just felt and sounded just a little different, not "better", and I STILL sounded like ME :)

So to conclude, what a damn fool I was, and hopefully this Thread can save others from the wasted time I foolishly spent, when ANY guitar I had purchased would have been a great tool for what I was trying to build.

Jerry

Matt G, Bobbyoso, Dave Hicks and 7 others like this.
  2. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

There’s no explaining GAS. You make a great point!

3. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I realized that a long time ago! It still didn't stop my from buying and selling too many guitars. I just bought a guitar last week! But I am done with teles (I have my two keepers) and done with strats (none is the best number for me). Now I'm all about hollows and semihollows....:)

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My best friend and guitar/recording mentor must be your lost twin brother. He has been in serious lockdown this whole period, so he blames it on that … but to me, it seems like an exaggeration of what he does once in awhile anyway. Oddly this time it is all about strats. Coincidence?

5. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Don't tell the mods, but I'm a Strat guy through and through. I have a lot of really nice guitars (even a Tele now), but I always go back to the Stratocaster. Like you said, not better or worse, but different. I feel like there's a reason that Leo made a whole new guitar instead of evolving the Telecaster.

They've both got their place.

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

All those guitars owned and not one, not a single picture?

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi Obsessed, how ya' been man?

It was not a coincidence, as I have been a "guitar player" (if that what you'd call me :) ) for only a little over two years.

Ironically I initially wanted a Strat, but as soon as I bought the Road Worn, I was forever hooked on the Tele.

Regardless, I'm counting myself lucky Obsessed, in that thank goodness I didn't hooked on a Gibson, Gretsch or PRS :)

Jerry

PS
    I should have said "I could have RECORDED 50 times more songs", as I am actually a drummer, bass guitar player, and a keyboardist, and my writing ability/output was never affected.

Now that I'm "CURED" (at least for now :) ), I'm going back to recording my originals, which is what it seems I'm best at :)

Obsessed likes this.
  8. sax4blues

sax4blues Poster Extraordinaire

Why is it ok for car people to buy/sell/own many cars which they drive very little or not at all, but guitar people have to justify everything based on some professional need or “good deal” purchase, or skill level.

I have a golf friend, average recreational player, and he has many $1,000+ golf sets piled in his garage and I don’t believe he justifies it in any way. And……. With all those clubs over the years his game has never changed, he still golf’s like himself.

Obsessed and Archtops like this.
  9. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I picked up my nephew’s Ibanez shredder guitar - - Floyd Rose, etc. I sounded like a Tele guy who had no idea what to do with a Floyd Rose.

10. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

“Why is it ok for car people to buy/sell/own many cars which they drive very little or not at all, but guitar people have to justify everything based on some professional need or “good deal” purchase, or skill level.

I have a golf friend, average recreational player, and he has many $1,000+ golf sets piled in his garage and I don’t believe he justifies it in any way.”

If “She Whom You Must Obey” sees it as exercise she’ll be onboard. If not, it’s crying/whining time. For you not her.

11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thanks, I still want a Gibson ES-335 and an OM.

12. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never been a buyer/seller person. It’s not in my nature to buy/sell gear in the endless chase for whatever folks are looking for.
    The 8-10 amps I’ve owned I’ve only regretted selling one. A Peavey C-30 that really was incredible. I just didn’t need 3 amps and my buddy needed a real amp.

Everything, guitar wise, I’ve liked except for my 3 Strats. I’m just not a Strat guy.

I currently own a SG, tele, LP Special, a strat, and a student model Washburn acoustic

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

If this post is intended to stop people from doing what you did, I can assure you after more than ten years on this forum, that it isn't going to work. :lol:

That said, this amount of "churn" over just two years is pretty impressive... o_O

14. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Horses for courses, I am 41 I will never be a famous guitar player, and although I play gigs occasionally I could not make a living playing professionally. I buy guitars because I like guitars, I dont need more than one, but if I see one I like that I can afford I buy it. Such is life, no guilt no excuses. I am hardly a saint in any other portion of my life so the only possible issue I see with this is not giving some of the money used to people that need help.

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

I dig it.

16. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi sax4blues!

As a guitar person, I NEVER intended to try and justify ANYTHING I said :)

17. archiestone

archiestone TDPRI Member

I hear you, and I also love my MIM Classic 60s Strat. It's *just right*.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Time for you to buy a Squier Bullet. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.