What holds music but isn't a phone?

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
+3 on the iPod Touch. It will show music videos as well. No kid would like anything less. Just sayin’

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
there are plenty of cheap off brand mp3 players made in china which would be perfect for a kid. sony still makes very high end mp3 players.

I had an mp3 player about 10 years ago. It lasted about 2 years and then quit.

I gave my two sons the same model mp3 player for Christmas. Theirs lasted about 2 years and quit also.

Here is a whole range of MP3 players listed on Amazon.

Amazon.com : best mp3 player bluetooth

There are lots of MP3 players available. Sony even sells some under the Walkman brand. Some Walkman models will do streaming services.
They still sell iPod Touch as well. Last revision was 2019.

Sony, no baloney

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
Microsoft Zune has entered the chat....I also avoid apple stuff because I don't want to have to put itunes on my pc. Does itune still use proprietary files instead of mp3s and waves?

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Microsoft Zune has entered the chat....I also avoid apple stuff because I don't want to have to put itunes on my pc. Does itune still use proprietary files instead of mp3s and waves?

It is possible to use an iPod/iPhone with Apple Music and without using iTunes if you want. My girlfriend does it that way. If you purchase songs through iTunes, they'll be in .AAC format without any Digital Rights Management, so you can play them on other media players as long as they have the right codec (which is free). It will also handle .mp3 and .wav files without issue.

When I still purchase music digitally, it's usually from Amazon in .mp3 format. After downloading, I drag the files into iTunes. It organizes the music library for me seamlessly.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
If you get an Apple thingy, don't you need another Apple thingy to download the music?
That is a darn good question. I loaded mine from Apple iTunes, so someone here must know about Apple iTunes on other devices.

okay, I looked it up and apparently you can download Apple iTunes into the PC world, but I gotta say it would wise to seek someone who has done this first.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have a fiio x3 and a fiio x7. They are great for hi res audio.

+1 for fiio. I took a chance on one a few years ago (basic M3K I think it’s called), and it’s great. Holds as much as the SD card you choose to put into it, and the sound quality is excellent. Sturdy, good battery life.

SacDAve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
brain-lateral.png

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
If you get an Apple thingy, don't you need another Apple thingy to download the music?
No. I download digital music files to my non-Apple Microsoft Windows pc with a non-Apple Microsoft Edge web browser, which I have just downloaded to folders that are not specific to Apple. I then either link or copy those using Apple iTunes to its folders on my non-Apple Microsoft windows pc, and copy them to a non-Apple thumb drive.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member

They work best when using iTunes on a PC or Mac, but it's not totally necessary. If you use iTunes, you can either purchase through Apple or add mp3s that you got from any other source.

People love to complain about iTunes, but for the life of me I can't figure out why (except the normal anti-Apple rage some people have). It's no more or less quirky than any of the competition.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I think that first you need to determine what kind of device your child is looking for. 2 basic categories: with or without storage? There is plenty of free and/or pay music available directly off the internet/cloud to stream directly to a pair of headphones. A DAC/Headphone amp will sit between the internet connection/PC and the headphones and improve the audio quality above and beyond what a standard PC/Laptop audio card would provide. In this instance no storage of the music is needed. The Audioquest Dragonfly is an example and is well reviewed.

If you want to create your own library and store it then something with some storage is needed.

Both FiiO and Ibasso make well reviewed devices in both categories. FiiO in particular seems to have a full range of devices at a variety of price points $100-1500 and is recommended by some of our members above.

Understanding which digital format that the user will employ will also determine the unit to buy.

www.head-fi.org and www.headfonia.com have more detailed info.

Goodluck

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought of a few other things to consider...

You said "something like an iPod". Is portability a requirement or will it just be for playing at home in their room?

Along the same lines, is streaming (the mainstream way of getting music today) a requirement or are you or your kid happy with the now old-fashioned way of buying or ripping individual tracks?

If portability isn't a concern, you might want to consider something like the Amazon Echo (aka Alexa).

For portable streaming from Spotify or Amazon Music, you might want to consider the Mighty Vibe. I think you can do similar streaming with other devices, like some of the iPods, but the process is a little more complicated. I used a method like this with a Rhapsody Player about 15 years ago when streaming was a new thing and before smartphones took over.