1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Have You Learnt From Modelers?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Grandy, May 18, 2020.

1. space2k

space2k NEW MEMBER!

That I wind up spending too much of my precious little practicing time fiddling with the amp.

2. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I've learned it's easier to throw my POD X3 Live in the car for a backup than another amp.

3. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

When I used modelers ( Vox and L6) don't program amp/ cab settings with headphones, or in my office.
    It never sounded the same when I got to the live venue. I went back to pedals and added a DSM Simplifier.

4. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

None of those, including the DSM Simplifier, should sound the same through headphones or a smaller space, than an open venue.

5. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Very true, it's like new modeling gadgets pop up 2 to 3 times per year. If you suffer from digital GAS you get no relief, the hunt goes on and on.

I do believe there are people that are more fascinated with the technology than they are at being a musician. I can dig that, I too am fascinated with it but my musicianship far exceeds the tech. I simply want good tone. And I do 95% of my music/playing at home these days, 100% since quarantine. I have the means and have looked at Katana's deep editing but have no desire because for my ear it sounds so good, maybe at some point I'll get curious, glad it's there. I have designed my interaction to use like an old tube amp, basically set knobs and forget, then play with only the simple front panel. no pedals, just a regular guitar and amp.

Digital Larry likes this.
  6. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I learned how important the cab is to overall tone. It's equally as important as the amp.

codamedia and bgmacaw like this.
  7. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

I love my 68 fender Princeton custom at home but I play more often at lunch on a park bench with my old pocket pod sitting on my lap...just saying...the sound ain’t that much different given the environment.

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

If you find modeling amps too complicated, then you've tried the wrong ones. My Mustang LT25 and Yamaha THR10C are easier to dial in than a tube amp, right on the amp, without connecting to a computer. I've also found that recording direct using the USB out on the THR10 is the easiest and best sounding recording setup I've ever had.

Digital Larry and getbent like this.
  9. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I learned a modeler can confuse an amp afficionado.

I had a cosmetically-altered Vypyr 15 with a 10" Jensen. He really liked the sound of my "little tube Peavey" "It sounds much like my 1966 Deluxe Reverb" he also told me. He owned one of the nicest vintage Deluxe Reverbs I had seen in 50 years.

I was using the Deluxe setting--a BF DR model with and without reverb. The speaker helped but the rest was in the modeling circuitry.

I should have never given it away to a friend in need. But I already had too many amps including a DRRI.

3-Chord-Genius and getbent like this.
  10. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Probably the most important thing i learned is that neither modelers or tube amps are better, it's just dependent on what is most important to you, and secondly that saying tube amps are better is senseless because there are great modelers and horrible tube amps and visa versa. So you have to compare specific models, not generalize them and say one technology is better. At the end of the day there's really only one important thing....how satisfied are you? With my current modeler can honestly say i'm more satisfied than i have ever been because when in a band situation i spend less time than with any tube amp reaching back to "fix" my tone during the nite. The can be very consistent unlike tubes.

So what i have learned is your initial impulse to modeling tends to be a judgment based on what u were used to with tube amps and if the differences u feel and hear are subtle to the point it's not obvious if it's better or worse than tubes, you often tend to think they are negatives because of the endless negativity on the web about modelers. They are demonized as unrealistic and bad simulations of the real thing. Some are of course, but many are not and u have to ignore preconceived ideas and just play the thing.bIf at some point u realize it's just not for u thats fine, but be sure to realize it's maybe not because it's a modeler but because it's not a GOOD modeler for you. I've owned a lot of tube amps, a HECK of a lot. And when i got one that sucked i had no older technology to look back and and say it's lousy because it's not the good old tech i used to use. But today with modelers we DO have that old tech we used to love so that's naturally what we compare to and if anything seems not quite good to you, you blame this new tech. With tubes when something wasn't great we assumed the CORRECT thing....the particular amp wasn't great, or at least not to you. So in short what i mostly learned is you have to stop looking at the tech itself as being to blame. Judge the particular amp regardless of what it is. I haven't used tubes now for about 8 years !

11. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

i have learned they loose value pretty fast as was said here but i also learned that some kind of tube in the power amp circuit is the key to tubelike dynamics.Many will disagree who are commited to their brand of modeling but to me modeling preamps has been perfected for quite a while but the power amp section is where it lacks.

12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Plugged into what for speakers?

IMO... modeling has taught me that if you are going direct to "FOH/Monitor/FRFR/Studio Monitors", speaker emulation is KING! If the modeler does not have great speaker emulation, or the ability to load IR packages... you will likely blame the amp modeling without realizing where the real weakness is.

3-Chord-Genius and DougM like this.
  13. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

how good my tube amps sound and feel

Rowdyman likes this.
  14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Interesting, as I feel quite the opposite. Really need a decent UI on the box itself. Hate tweaking on the PC, only did a very little of that with the Katana. Now I have an 11R and never use the PC editor. Was sort of interested in the Headrush boards but not there's enough value proposition compared to the $200 11R to bother. Also have considered the Mustang GTX100 but same thing applies, I wouldn't be getting much more out of that than I do with with 11R.

15. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

oops i forgot to ass real guitar speakers as well..are they key too- basically the whole rear end

16. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I learned that the Mustang I v1 could be tweaked to sound close enough to my 5E3 Deluxe, including reacting similarly when rolling back the volume pot.
    The Bassman and Twin sounded equally good but I don't have those amps to compare.

I learned that having to reset and reboot my amp as an IT tech made me question my leisure time priorities and goals.

I learned that Fender will drop support for their amp software after a period of time.

jageya likes this.
  17. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

lol...agree with last sentence. Fender is too quirky to support them in modeling anymore. I still use my cybertwin se 2-12 combo but was so let down when they promised an editor and patches online ect and it never came- instead they just dropped the amp.

dlaroe likes this.
  18. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

We each play guitar in different ways for different purposes.

If I’m playing blues in a small club, where the drums are un-amplified and only the singer goes through the PA, then it’s nice to have a valve amp. There’s something in the transients which only transformers and large capacitors can achieve.

If I’m playing in a covers band, going through a PA, and needing a range of amp sounds then I’ll go for a modeller. It’s got the variety at the touch of a switch. It’s easier on the engineer too. Any amp transients would get lost by the PA. At the end of the night I don’t have to wait for things to cool down before packing away.

So I can understand how guitarists reach their personal answer.

19. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

That they’re awesome for specific recording applications, playing roles, and practice, but a terrible substitute for when I want “my sound” with a single amp in a room.

20. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

both are excellent and have thier pluss and minus for sure. I guess with valve i like that its not like every year or 6 months a company is realing a new valve tech that is better then its last.Sure fender releases diff tuned valve amps like the hotrod which some may like while other prefer the older versions but in general valves stay very consistent. Modelers not so much and throwing money at them can be a bottomless pit over time.
    I am eyeing the quadcore unit comming out soon and have squirreld some cash away for it but wont be buying it untill AT LEASE 6 months or more AFTER its out to see how it progresses. I like the line6 company model with the updates and such but not a real fan of thier recent modeling(my opinion). I dont like fenders track record with modeling stuff at all and fractals is vg .Boss not so much and kemper not so much. Zoom was interesting before thier massive price hike with the g11 and the mooer/nux stuff is interesting but cheaply made.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.