What have you learned but probably won't play?

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
Dakota, by the Stereophonics. Every cover band in the world does it around these parts, which is why I won’t

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
I vowed never to play "Love Shack" by the B-52'S ever again. The guys were a little
hung over from the night before, so we mailed it in at this wedding reception. You guessed
it, we played it, they loved it and had an encore at the end of the night. Never say never,
is a thought process.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
the Beatles catalog
The Bible, IMO.
Girl from impanema.
Fun to play!
"Roundabout" by Yes. Wouldn't play it as no-one seems to enjoy it. I merely learned it to test my skills.
I “dropped the needle” on my turntable for hours teaching myself this one.
I'd like to learn and play that as an instrumental.
Ipanema, though often dismissed as a “lounge/elevator” tune is both smartly written, and fun to play.
Even more so with a charming lady singing it!

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
A bunch of Green Day songs that my first teacher made me learn. Green Day are alright but the guy just mailed it in with those. I could've been doing harder stuff then just playing power chords after the second or third song.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
The other day, I transcribed and learned Good Girls Don't by The Knack. It's a fun song, but other than for my own entertainment and maybe my wife's, I can't think of anywhere else I'd ever play it. Family gatherings? Nah. Church picnic? Unlikely. Class reunion? Maaaaayyyybe, but only because we'd all have listened to it.

So what songs have you learned that aren't likely to be played in front of other people?
About ninety percent of what I've studied.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
King Crimson - "Red"

It's fairly easy to execute, at least for the guitar and bass parts. The drummer gets quite a workout, and so would the audience. Can't imagine ever getting the opportunity to whip that one out in public.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I love learning and playing instrumentals, especially for surf/garage stuff.

But other than maybe just performing Rumble, I'm not going to bore the crowd with a song by Los Straitjackets or The Mermen.

...Oh, and I don't have the chops to play something like Misirlou.

I occasionally think about maybe doing something like the theme from The Munsters, but always end up backing out.

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted

But other than maybe just performing Rumble, I'm not going to bore the crowd with a song by Los Straitjackets or The Mermen.

I occasionally think about maybe doing something like the theme from The Munsters, but always end up backing out.
A medley of show intro's like the themes from the Munsters, Bonanza, Secret Agent Man, Adam's Family, etc. That would sound good and be entertaining.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
So what songs have you learned that aren't likely to be played in front of other people?

Just about every single song I know.

I am into UK post-punk. Killing Joke, Echo and the Bunnymen, New Model Army, The Armoury Show, The Wedding Present, Sisters Of Mercy... I really can't think of any scenario in which I am sitting with my guitar in a room full of people who want to hear "Swamp Thing" by The Chameleons.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
A medley of show intro's like the themes from the Munsters, Bonanza, Secret Agent Man, Adam's Family, etc. That would sound good and be entertaining.
Yeah, but the theme songs themselves are maybe a bit too far away from being the actual surf/garage instrumentals that I enjoy playing (enough to take the time to learn them).

Like Los Straitjackets has done The Munsters theme, as well as My Heart Will Go On (instrumental only), and various other theme songs, to even include the theme to Game of Thrones. But I'd much prefer playing one of their originals, like Rockula. It's just a way cooler song, IMO.

Or maybe some raucous instrumental by Man or Astroman? would go over really well live, but only if enough folks were familiar with it.

I guess this even extends to the few songs by Jim Campilongo that I've learned. As cool as they are, I'm not going to play one to a crowd, only to get blank stares or bored indifference.

skunqesh

Tele-Afflicted

The Baby Elephant Walk Song! it's an ear-worm kinda song.
It's fun tune - just in a maniacal way.