What have you learned but probably won't play?

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
'How Many More Times' note for note. Mainly because for my best vocal key, I have to tune down at least 2 steps. I just can't play the song without that open top string. I got a Reverend Baritone guitar recently to give it another shot. Gawd damn, I love that song.

Reactions: BB

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
Also;
'Back to Black' - Amy Winehouse
'Move Over' - Janis Joplin

I did it for the challenge of programming them into the Yamaha RX-7 I have from 1987, and learning to play them. 'Back to Black' takes an exceptional vocalist, and 'Move Over' is busy as hell to both play and sing. I peaked and did them both well once, and said that's it.

Drums/Bass - Left/Right - How to EQ

Last edited:

Doctor of Teleocity
There have been a bunch of songs that I only did once. I absolutely loathed having to learn a song I didn't naturally want to learn, because it was so difficult for me.

My brain would just not work, it was bizarre, and very stressful. Some gigs required that I learn particular songs, and I would put them on non-stop rotation, type out the lyrics, practice them over and over, and it was one of the most unpleasant aspects of the music business for me.

Some songs that I organically loved were effortless to learn, and some that I wanted to play with all my heart had me pulling my hair out.

I had an incredible gift for memorization (of almost anything that I was interested in) until my mid-twenties, when I was in a car wreck that knocked me silly. I was in love, I thought, with a girl that cheated on me, and my head wasn’t right, and I accidentally made a turn in front of a fast vehicle that I didn’t see, and it t-boned and totaled the vehicle I was driving. I walked back to work in a daze and worked the rest of the day, but I don’t know how or why I did. Spotty memory ever since.

But it’s not just that. There is a switch in my head that I can’t control, that prevents me from doing what other people want me to do. I’ve absolutely detested every single second I’ve breathed under the direction of earthly authority, in its many-splendored manifestations, aside from my family, my high school wrestling coach, and a few awesome role models. My brain just “can’t” do something somebody tells me to do unless I believe it is right, down in my gut. And even then, I’m lucky if I remember what I did yesterday. Apparently, I have little trouble doing what I’d like to not do, like eat a bunch of ice cream. All bets are off now for so much of what I used to love, so what does it really matter, anyway? I’ll eventually “circle back,” haha.

I am in awe of those who can learn anything they desire, and retain it. I live in my head, so much so, that if I move somewhere different, it can take me years to actually learn my way around, because my brain doesn’t register it as important, I guess. And yet, I will remember trivial details with precision and vivid accurately that others fail to notice, or put little value on.

I can often recognize voices very easily without seeing who is speaking. Not being able to learn things I wanted to learn has been very humbling, but, a bittersweet gift to my creativity (in certain aspects,) because my workarounds were so extreme as a result.

One I learned that I never did live was “Little Town Flirt,” doubt anyone will ever hear me do that one.

Last edited:

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
My punk band in like 2008 would cover pop songs, because it's funny hearing a gravel voiced 20something ReverendRevolver cranking out "like a pill" by pink. There was fuzz and chorus on the piano part, fast strumming on verses, you get it. We did Biz Marquis as well, because, like:
Have you ever met a girl who you wanted to date but a year to make....

Sorry, got distracted. Point is, did those, and Afro Man, continued learning pop songs for the specific purpose of doing more of that, even though I'm about 15 years out from when I had any reason to.

So I learned TSwifts wildest dreams (the degree of therapy one would need seeing my short, skinny, hairy, pale tattooed butt standing in a nice dress, staring at the sunset was enough to make it a funny idea) some Adele, billie eilish, lady freaking gaga, Miley.... I can't help it. If my real band toured, I would totally open for myself in disguise as a punk band covering pop. (Me first and the gimme gimmes with more diverse vocals).
I have no reason to play those, but someday might.
I'll never play Floyd or Eagles mega hits unless being paid a larger amount than normal. I learned certain songs because I wanted to test vocal abilities of singers I wanted to scout.

But unless I con several (2-3) real musicians into it, the random pop songs were learned for nearly nothing.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits. I learned it in open g on my reso, but never take that out to play.
Similarly, Nick Drake’s Time of no reply. That’s in an odd CFCFCF tuning and while I have a guitar strung for open C, I have very few things I can play in that area so till I pick up a few more tracks it’ll stay at home.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ha ha! Yes, I have. Despite looking a little bit like grandma I am pretty sure he could still take me!

At least he still has hair and isn't wearing a Dunlop around his waist though.
My comment was totally tongue in cheek. He’s still a complete badass. But I was visiting my brother last fall around thanksgiving, and we got super liquored up and went down a YouTube rabbit hole, and had that whole “holy crap, THAT’S George Lynch?!?” Moment. Hahaha!

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
We learned to play Jeff Buckley’s Lover You Should Have Come Over… beautiful song, lots of weird chords, takes at least 5 minutes to play… audience sat like a bag of rocks staring. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a blank reaction to anything! So we’ve never tried it again… I don’t know how much of it is still in my memory banks…

I learned the fast guitar runs in 21st Century Man (which, to be perfectly open, I can play at about 80% speed, so Fripp wouldn’t give me a job😀) and we have talked every so often about doing a shortened version of the song (cutting the guitar and sax solos from the middle, like this radio edit version), but I doubt it will ever happen. The guitar runs do get used for testing out guitars in shops.

beep.click

Poster Extraordinaire
Led Zep, Good Times Bad Times -- (a) my band would never touch it (b) my band never plays covers (c) it's not really an acoustic, open mic number

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
A couple.

Whiskey Bottle (Uncle Tupelo): I learned it on acoustic and want to play it live with my band, but they’re worried about the changes.

Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold. (Townes Van Zandt): I finally got it nailed, but now I have to sing it at the same time.
I friggin love Whiskey Bottle!

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
At one time in the early 90's I knew the entire Black Crowes 'Shake Your Money Maker'. The problem was my singer couldn't pull any of it off, nor had the desire to. My singer in the next band couldn't either, but the drummer was good at 'Jealous Again'. That is probably the only one from that album I can still remember enuff to play. I miss some of those songs 🙁

Area51

Tele-Holic
The other day, I transcribed and learned Good Girls Don't by The Knack. It's a fun song, but other than for my own entertainment and maybe my wife's, I can't think of anywhere else I'd ever play it. Family gatherings? Nah. Church picnic? Unlikely. Class reunion? Maaaaayyyybe, but only because we'd all have listened to it.

So what songs have you learned that aren't likely to be played in front of other people?
Hmmm, I guess we all do things different. It seems every time I pull out an album I haven't listened to in a long time I learn at least one song and bits and pieces of other songs that I find interesting (e.g. some riff or melody I liked).

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I learned Taylor Swift's 'Wildest Dreams' for my daughters talent show.

Pretty confident I won't be playing that, ever.

Edit: Maybe humorously, as a 51 year old man. Could work.