What have you learned but probably won't play?

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
In trying to think about this, it might be a long and random list. A shorter version would be songs I learned for whatever reason that I might actually remember in a year or two? Even then, who knows?

I learned a Coldplay, Elvis and a Dylan song for a wedding, for example, but I don’t think I could play any of them now nor do I really want to.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My bandmates and I do a fair amount of compromising on setlists. Our tastes overlap, but don't exactly coincide. There are a handful of songs I play that I never would have chosen in a million years. One thing I have learned is that sometimes songs you don't like to hear can actually be fun to play. And learning those songs sometimes pushes you out of your comfort zone and teaches you things you never would have learned otherwise.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I learn a lot of songs, probably 3 a week on average. By learn I mean the chords and the instrumental hook maybe. And vocals to some extent. Few of them make it to a set list, as I try to not sing anymore and let 'her' sing instead.. I like a lot of oddball stuff and stuff you wouldn't imagine an old man would like.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Sometimes I go down a nostalgic rabbit hole of 80s rock. Ratt, Dokken etc and I hear a song I really liked back then but wasn't good enough to play it at the time so I try to learn it. After maybe an hour of struggling with some "George Lynch Super Spreader" lick and starting to think I'm pretty bad a** it dawns on me I will never perform this for anybody besides myself in the mirror and in that reflection I see a guy who looks ridiculous still trying to be George Lynch....
I dunno. Have you seen George lately?!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I learned all of “Stash” by Phish. I just really loved the intro lickage. Had to figure it out. That lead to the rest of the song.

I will never play that anywhere. Mostly because no one else will ever learn it and play it with me. 😂😂

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I have a fairly thick 3-ring binder of tunes I enjoy playing for myself but am unlikely to ever play for anyone else. Separate binder for jam tunes.

Since I'm going to a banjo (1890s fingerstyle) rally in October, I'll have to work up a half-dozen tunes by then that I'll play and then never play again. We'll also play a number of tunes at sight (reading from the sheet music). I'll really suck at that!

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I have a ton of songs I know by heart from my teens and 20's, I've kept on learning songs periodically to the point I could probably play at least rhythm on gigs and gigs worth of cover material - Cream, LZ, Beatles, Clash, Rolling Stones, Black Crowes, just off the top of my head...

...But I've not played a gig in 25 years, and never play outside my house. Apart from my wife and kids, I don't think anyone else will hear me play in the (near) future.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Four songs I vowed I would never play because every other function band played were:
"Mustang Sally", "Brown Eyed Girl", "Stuck In The Middle With You" and "Wish You Were Here".

However, a couple (friends of my sidekick) included them on a set list request for a silver wedding when I was in my old duo.
We rehearsed them along with the 30-ish other songs but 'ran out of time' during the gig to include them because thankfully the guests who wanted to get up for a song took up about an hour of our time.

Lucky escape!!!

Now that I'm no longer in that duo, I'm determined never to play any of them.
So far I've managed to get away with pleading ignorance of those songs whenever I'm handed a guitar.

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
You don’t like it or too hard to play?

An acoustic player in Eugene, Mark Allen, used to play this regularly. He did a great job with it.

Making Movies is one of my favorite albums…
I love the song and can play it note for note. The musicians I play with don't seem to be interested in performing it.