What have you learned but probably won't play?

Les H

Tele-Holic
Sometimes I go down a nostalgic rabbit hole of 80s rock. Ratt, Dokken etc and I hear a song I really liked back then but wasn't good enough to play it at the time so I try to learn it. After maybe an hour of struggling with some "George Lynch Super Spreader" lick and starting to think I'm pretty bad a** it dawns on me I will never perform this for anybody besides myself in the mirror and in that reflection I see a guy who looks ridiculous still trying to be George Lynch....

stinkey

Tele-Afflicted
There is SO much to learn from playing tunes that is not in my comforte zone. I like to learn from jazz and classic and use it in my "normal" music. One of the best ways to improve, an other good way is to play in a new tuning.

Friend of Leo's
"Sultans of swing".... Playing it live I couldn't trust my left hand these days to guarantee that chicken-pickin' in the Outro + never been a fan of chicken-pickin' type stuff anyway.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
The other day, I transcribed and learned Good Girls Don't by The Knack. It's a fun song, but other than for my own entertainment and maybe my wife's, I can't think of anywhere else I'd ever play it. Family gatherings? Nah. Church picnic? Unlikely. Class reunion? Maaaaayyyybe, but only because we'd all have listened to it.

So what songs have you learned that aren't likely to be played in front of other people?
A couple.

Whiskey Bottle (Uncle Tupelo): I learned it on acoustic and want to play it live with my band, but they’re worried about the changes.

Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold. (Townes Van Zandt): I finally got it nailed, but now I have to sing it at the same time.

Slippery Jack

Tele-Meister
Loads that never made it to the setlist. The last one I remember is Hanging on the Telephone. We also had a stab at Nutbush City Limits recently. When I'm setting up the amp at a gig I always give it a quick blast of AC/DCs Problem Child. Loud enough for the other band members to give me dark looks. It's not our type of song.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I might try to learn freebird (I've never even listened to it so let's see how that goes) just for when people ask. I've been asked once or twice and luckily the guy was joking, because I would have been embarrassed to tell him I didn't know it lol