What have I got?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Tim G, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

About 25 years ago I bought a set of pickups for a project that never happened. I found them the other day and have noidea what they are. There are no markings on the pickups to even give me an idea of what they are. I don't have access to a meter to measure the pickups. They do have cloth covered wire. The neck PU has a separate ground wire for the cover. They have never been used. Any guesses are welcomed, even use the WAG theory. I know without impedance readings it is tough. 100_3555[1].JPG

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It would be a long shot to be able to identify them without pics of the bottoms of the pickups. Even with the pics, it is a reach. Imho, those pickups have been used….maybe not by you but before you got them. The wires have been soldered to connections, that gold cover shows wear, and there are some indications around the polepieces of the bridge pickup that indicate use,imho. Not matter on that score, though.
    Pics??.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Given the information at hand I would have to say what you have there is a set of vintage Telecaster Pickups. I feel like the neck pickup is modified.

That's my best guess though.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  4. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The neck pick up is wired for a four way switch. That's all I've got.

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The bridge has a vintage wound-G string.stagger. it looks too new - white string too white - but it could be late sixties.

Lindy Fralin did do a vintage stagger option. His had white stickers on them which could fall off.

What DCr do they read?

6. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

I just got some Custom Shop Texas Specials that look just like that with those wires, white wrapping, staggered pole pieces, and copper base plate. If they made TX Specials back then maybe that’s what they are. They would have had a foil custom shop sticker on the back, but it may have come off since then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.