What happens when you put a lefty bridge on a righty tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by blowtorch, Nov 22, 2006.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

And reverse the slant? I'd think snappier bass and mellower highs? I'm really curious to try this and see what it sounds like.

2. LeftHandedMan

LeftHandedMan Tele-Meister

Well, unfortunately for the cost of the experiment, the rout hole underneath a standard righthanded bridge wouldn't match the slant of the pickup opening in the new bridge so you'd have to get a body that was set up for that.

If its something you absolutely are set on, go for it. The thing I wonder about is spending extra money to set this all up, and then being underwhelmed by the result. Prryic victory.

Glendale guitars had a righthanded guitar with a reversed bridge, and I believe it sparked an interesting debate here after the picture went up.

I suppose you could experiment with a kind of mini universal bridge rout under the bridge plate on an aleady righthanded bridge, one that works with either style of bridge on it. Or you could order a replacement body with a reversed rout and give it a try.

The Glendale folks said that they liked what they ended up with, and I think the guitar sold pretty quickly.

3. nocasterbert

nocasterbert Tele-Meister

i have never tried one, but considering that almost ev`rybody would like to have mellower highs and propably even tighter bass response i can imagine that it gives some great results.
    i`d really like to try one... but then again i`d have a hard time to play a guitar
    that`s different and looks different.......

4. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

There was a guy in a band my band used to share gigs with around 10 years ago that had that done. Whenever I'd show up at one of their gigs on my own I was always invited to sit in for a few songs and I always got to borrow that Tele. While I have to admit I wasn't paying close attention and it was always a loud crowded bar situation anyway, I'd have to say I didn't really notice any apparent difference. I might change my mind if I had the chance to sit down in a quiet room with it.

5. Ricknew

Ricknew NEW MEMBER!

My two main teles, a 72 fender and a Hamer t-51, have had reversed bridge pickups for years. Great bite and spank on the low e, and not a trace of icepick on the high. Don't know why I've seen only one other player do this.

6. Boxelder

Boxelder Tele-Meister

borrow someone's lefty tele and string it right handed...

just a thought...

7. renegadetele

renegadetele Tele-Meister

I would imagine that it would be somewhat similar to Jimi's sound on the bridge position of his strat.

on a side note, if your bridge was routed for a humbucker, would a lefty bridge work then?

8. trandy16

trandy16 Tele-Meister

Funny you should bring this up. I'm in the middle of a build project right now that includes a left-handed rout for the bridge pickup.

Right now I'm just waiting on a neck from USACG.

Here's the body:

[​IMG]

Also, the Linhof Telecasters all come with the lefty bridge pickup rout:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.