What happens to your gear when you are gone ?

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve been dispersing guitars and amps (and more) for years. I’m not the type to hang on to everything I’ve ever owned.

Anyone looking for a 5F6A Bassman?

So I guess, I’ve had the chance.

Painter644

Tele-Meister
Seriously, when I’m “gone” I won’t care. I’m gonna get turned to ash anyway. Now, my leather NBA game balls…

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
My Son gets the Lions share with a couole of things going to my Daughter.
My Daughter doesn't really want it whlie my Son is his Fathers Gear-Hound!

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
My daughter will get it all. She plays, but mostly acoustic…so I don’t know what she’ll do with all my electrics. She knows how to find what they’re worth, so I don’t worry about her getting taken.

Spooky88

Tele-Meister
I’ve already built a Viking ship, and all of it’s getting loaded on it. To be burned in a massive funeral pyre, as a tribute, as I enter eternity!

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Somehow I ended up with a 30s gibson HG-00 and a gibson skylark lap steel from a relative I never met. My mother inherited the HG-00, who never played or sold it, but just kept it to remember her favorite uncle. His other family members held onto the lap steel even though no one played it, and eventually they passed it on to me when they found out I played.
Five decades is a long time for relatives to keep instruments they don't play. I don't know how many he had, but two of his guitars are now loved and played by a family member.

I'm thinking just be a good parent/uncle, entertain children, and maybe don't worry about the stuff too much.
I will be making a guide book to my instruments. Mostly because I'll enjoy it.

Wyzsard

Friend of Leo's
Mine goes to one of my grandkids. He's been playing guitar for two years and getting pretty good. Sings too. So he'll get my pa stuff as well.

He's got good taste in songs as well. Last time I saw him he was singing a Guy Clark song ! He's 17, and hangs with good kids.

Randwulf

Tele-Meister
Perhaps a morbid question to start the day , but what happens to your music related items when you pass on.
I'm getting older so I think about things like this.
Does your wife or next of kin know the value of your collection of gear.
It's not bad if only a guitar or two , but some of our collections can be pretty big or variable in items
Personaly I have a lot of stuff maybe it's time to make an inventory list with approximate value written done.
I wouldn't want my wife to sell my Ultra for the price of my Eart.
Just curious if you have given it any thought
I'm gifting all my gear to two younger players who are friends that i know....just have to put it in the will I guess....I'm 66 and these guys are 33 and 21

Randwulf

Tele-Meister
Perhaps a morbid question to start the day , but what happens to your music related items when you pass on.
It's not bad if only a guitar or two , but some of our collections can be pretty big or variable in items
Personaly I have a lot of stuff maybe it's time to make an inventory list with approximate value written done.
Being 66 with a lot of gear and of high value and also having some recent deaths in the family and some friends, it seems that the survivors will do whatever they want with little regard for the decedents wishes!

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I turn 70 in a couple of weeks. I already started giving away some of my stuff including "big stage" stuff that I'm not going to ever use again. Son grandson and granddaughter all are part time musicians so they'll get all the stuff still useful to them.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
Back when That Which We Shall Not Mention was a major concern, I did some reflecting on what my wife would be left with if I abruptly cashed in my chips. I realized that Mrs Greg70 would have a bunch of collectibles that she knew nothing about. In addition to music, I'm also into model trains, plastic models, model rockets, guns, and have a classic car and a motorcycle. She wouldn't know what to do with any of this stuff and would likely get scammed out of thousands of dollars if she even found a buyer ("Mrs Greg70, I'm sorry for your loss, but this guitar amp is such an old piece of junk that it has tubes in it! Nobody wants them anymore because they're heavy and use a lot of electricity. I'll give you ten bucks and haul it out of here because I know your husband wouldn't want you to have carry it up the steps"). So I checked around. I called a local train collector that I've dealt with and set them up as a contact. I went to a local music store and talked to them about consignment, and I got the contact info for an enthusiast group for my car. I also left her a rough estimate of the value of the stuff so that she would have some idea where she stood financially. I put all of this information in a document, along with bank accounts and a few other things. Specifically to the topic at hand, my music stuff would all be taken to the local music store for appraisal or consignment purposes. I'm not super attached to any of it. But there is one piece that I asked her to keep. I have a 1952 Buescher Elkhart alto saxophone that my mother played in high school, and that I also played in high school. I asked that this stay in the family.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
I am blessed with multiple grandsons. Over the years I have convinced Mrs. Miller that I should have at least one decent guitar for each of them. ;) She already knows the value of my primary home amp - she bought it for me for our 50th wedding anniversary.

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
Yes, but I came to the conclusion that it wouldn’t matter to me so it doesn’t matter to me.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Unless someone in the family shows signs of musical aptitude.

I'll probably sell everything when it's no longer feasible to do it justice.

If I meet a sudden and untimely death.

Let the scavengers have at it.

I probably had my fun.