What happens to your gear when you are gone ?

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
One of my sons plays and understands the value. I have already gifted him 2 guitars as I wanted to see him enjoy them while I was still here. All my current stuff is logged into a spreadsheet that is updated quarterly. Serial numbers, descriptions and approximate value. My daughter is my executor and gets a copy. I have a will and a trust. I’m pretty sure I’m all set. Except that I intend to hang around for much longer.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Perhaps a morbid question to start the day , but what happens to your music related items when you pass on.
I'm getting older so I think about things like this.
Does your wife or next of kin know the value of your collection of gear.
It's not bad if only a guitar or two , but some of our collections can be pretty big or variable in items
Personaly I have a lot of stuff maybe it's time to make an inventory list with approximate value written done.
I wouldn't want my wife to sell my Ultra for the price of my Eart.
Just curious if you have given it any thought
51VH1KaC41L.jpg

... but seriously. Yeah... I have.
I have a list(not written down yet, as that feels like bad mojo) that basically goes;
These things go to that guy and that one goes to this guy etc. IFF my kids feel they don't need them.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
I'm not going....

I know a guy who is absolutely convinced in all sincerity that he's going to live well past 100. He mentioned something once about easily "living to 125".

Only problem is he's about 60lbs overweight and his hair is whiter than Casper. He's 56..

CB_2005

TDPRI Member
I am in my 60s and have nobody interested in my gear when I pass. I am considering selling the high dollar stuff then giving it to charity when I pass. Selling stuff is a pain and I wouldn't want the family to have to deal with that.

bromdenlong

Tele-Meister
I don't know. One of my brothers might like my best acoustic. My 3 other guitars and my 2 amps might not bring $500 if I sold them now.

Meh.

RCinMempho

Friend of Leo's
I am in my 60s and have nobody interested in my gear when I pass. I am considering selling the high dollar stuff then giving it to charity when I pass. Selling stuff is a pain and I wouldn't want the family to have to deal with that.

Sounds like a nice service to offer. Stuff goes to the curator. They EBay it and forward the proceeds to your charity. That could go for much more than guitars. Interesting concept.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Some of my gear has already gone to my nephew. But eventually my carpal tunnel and arthritis will win out and I'll sell everything off. Except my Martin D-35 ... that's my casket list guitar (it really is). I made up the term but you can guess what it means.