What happens to your gear when you are gone ?

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I lost my 18yr old grandaughter in March. Big hug, I am so sorry for your loss

I think I remember seeing your post about it. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Thank you. It means a lot. It's something I struggle with daily. Ever since July 1 2014.

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
I was thinking of making some sort of arrangement with the Hard Rock Cafe, but on reflection I think they'll just be sold on for charity as a sort of memorial send off. They aren't valuable enough to make a difference to my son and Missus and dealing with them individually would just be traumatic anyway, so one charity event would be easier and more positive.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve told my daughter to just go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash to sell my stuff. I have a list of each item with a “drop dead” bottom price to accept. (No pun intended). It won‘t be near what it’s worth but she doesn’t need the burden of dealing with it.
She can call on my friend who is a professional musician (not a guitarist) to help her.
If I reach the state of declining health, I will ditch most of it myself.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My daughter put a claim on the D-18 the very day I got it. As for everything else, well that’s just going to be someone else’s problem.
I have a large cabinet that holds abut ten guitars on top and an amp in the bottom, my wife said she would keep this as a sort of min-museum. Sooner or later though everything disappears so I just have fun while I can.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
In a perfect world I'd give it all to a mom and pop shop with a provision. Sell what you can for what you can get, and save this and that for a kid that really needs and wants it - then gift it to them.
I like this idea a lot, might steal it if I ever get around to any kind of advance planning. 🤔

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Remember the pharaohs? Except instead of a pyramid mine’s going to look like a Marshall half stack (I’m not full of myself enough to insist on a full stack).

MTPoteet

Tele-Holic
Of course my wife and kids know, they've been around them all of their lives and one of my sons is also a player.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
As much as we love, gather, collect, extoll, modify, and treasure it, it’s just inanimate stuff.
Someone or something will use it.
It’s worthless unless someone plays it, and someone else enjoys what they play.
As guitar-centric as I am, I value the music instruments make more than the instruments themselves.
I’m actually glad something I own (or have stewardship of) will be useful to others after I croak.

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
My kids and nieces and nephews. As the time nears, I'll probably assess who will appreciate things the most. Some stuff will go to guitar buddies that would def appreciate them.

If I did not have relatives to pass things on to, there are some charities that take instruments and gear for school programs and things like that. I did a quick search and it looks like most programs like this are local, so maybe look in your areas.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
As much as we love, gather, collect, extoll, modify, and treasure it, it’s just inanimate stuff.
Someone or something will use it.
It’s worthless unless someone plays it, and someone else enjoys what they play.
As guitar-centric as I am, I value the music instruments make more than the instruments themselves.
I’m actually glad something I own (or have stewardship of) will be useful to others after I croak.
My first steel-string - and I have still have it - is a Hofner Senator archtop. It was made in Germany the year I was born.

Years and years ago I read some research that had been done that concluded - and this may be nonsense, for all I know, admittedly, but it's what they concluded - that guitars built in that form of construction, like violins and cellos, achieve their optimum sound at 1-200 years of age, because of the way the wood all settles together and so on.

I like the idea that I'm walking with that guitar for now, but it will actually be at its very best in someone else's hands long after I'm dead.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
These threads pop up every so often.
My kids get the stuff. Oldest son gets the Mustang and probably both basses. Middle son called dibs on the Duosonic, might want another one too. Daughter gets the ash Tele and probably both console steels. That leaves only 4 guitars undecided. The toronado goes to whoever is most into music. It's a better playing guitar than anything I've touched south of $2k, and it was my #1 for alot of years, so it can't be a wall hanger.
Amps, that'll get sorted out later. They're all young so thier level of interest is somewhat low with the younger 2. Time will tell.
But:
You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
Back in 2000 I created a spreadsheet of the gear that I had... then I documented what it sold for, then I just kept adding to it. Now it includes current market price, fire sale value (Guitar Center cash price) and when the gear is cycled out, what I sold/traded etc. I also give myself an "allowance" for anything not house related to control my spending. Almost 100% of said allowance ends up on that spreadsheet that now lived in Google Drive. The spreadsheet now includes photos of the device, serial number etc. Anything over $100 goes on the list. And since it is a logical question to ask..... so what is the net loss over two decades? About 50%. But that also means that I have 50% of the equity of the money that I have spent on "toys" over two decades. Compare that to almost any other hobby and it looks like an investment strategy. I also value my entertainment time at $2 per hour (the current cost of a streaming movie rental by the hour). I use that as a metric to determine if a piece of gear is a gain or a loss in terms of value.

The toys that devalue the fastest always seem to have a USB port. Expensive upfront as I usually buy brand new and then eventual resale is not good. But, those tend to be things that I spend a lot of time with as it is the intersection of music and computing. So even though I lose money on the buy/sell , I gain a higher entertainment value.

All that being said.... my wife has access to the spreadsheet, understands the logic and since she is smarter than me.... I have no doubt she will do OK with it all. :cool:

BTW..... this is also a great way to dodge questions like "that's the third Sweetwater box this month.... did that get Plek too?" and then I can say.... yes it is, yes it did..... look at the spreadsheet, the money is there :)

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
BTW..... this is also a great way to dodge questions like "that's the third Sweetwater box this month.... did that get Plek too?" and then I can say.... yes it is, yes it did..... look at the spreadsheet, the money is there :)

FB_IMG_1654809692658.jpg

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
My boys get what there is, split between them. They can do what they want with any of the money, property and any other items that are left. If I go first my wife will decide there after, same if she goes first.

rewind

Tele-Meister
Boys & Girls Club of Alberta is always posting for donated guitars. It's either this or a community goodwill store for me.