What happens to your gear when you are gone ?

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
I have a ‘91 Strat Plus that would be the only thing I would care about. Every scratch on the body and all the finish worn off the maple neck is a memory of me. I want that to stay in the family. How that happens, I guess I need to leave to them.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
I have a nice Gibson acoustic that's going to a promising young singer-songwriter I'm friends with.

After that, get a broker or estate sale expert to come in and give my wife or nephew a check. The last thing I'd saddle them with is having to deal with an army of tire-kicking musicians bothering them.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I made up an inventory of my guitars and amps and keep the latest update with my will. I'm currently checking values to add to that inventory, so that I can give the kids somewhere to start when that time comes to let them go.

Modman68

Tele-Holic
I’ve made a clear declaration to my wife that when I pass, I am to be cremated and my ashes shall be mixed into a stain and my main two guitars will get refinished with me and given to a working musician.

I like the idea of friends being able to watch a gig and go “Adam’s sounding good tonight”

Wife doesn’t sound quite as into this as me, strangely.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I've willed my gear to various people. I have also thinned my holdings. I had a good friend who passed away with lots of gear, and he had designated some items to some of us, but his spouse had to unload the rest and it was very difficult doing this
because selling lots of gear takes a lot of effort, and on top of that, the continuous reminders of her husband were really hard to take. She had a goof friend who is guitar-savvy help, and gave him an instrument to compensate, so it worked out. But leaving someone who may have no knowledge or interest in guitars a load of stuff to handle is no gift.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
My only child was killed in 2014 so I have no one to pass my gear on to. I suppose it'll be trashed because no one will want it.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
If there's something of serious value in your collection, consult an attorney familiar with the laws in your state. And don't forget the value of the rights to music you've written. In my case, those are worth more than the gear I've hung onto.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
My partner has a general idea of what is more valuable within my collection. Sort of.

My brother and I share everything, so he gets dibs on anything he wants. He and I are very close, and we buy and sell on each other's behalf since we live far apart. He can take what he wants, and I imagine he will help my partner price the rest accordingly.

One thing I know for sure is that I definitely want to go first. I can't fathom living without my partner or my brother in my life.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Perhaps a morbid question to start the day , but what happens to your music related items when you pass on.
I'm getting older so I think about things like this.
Does your wife or next of kin know the value of your collection of gear.
It's not bad if only a guitar or two , but some of our collections can be pretty big or variable in items
Personaly I have a lot of stuff maybe it's time to make an inventory list with approximate value written done.
I wouldn't want my wife to sell my Ultra for the price of my Eart.
Just curious if you have given it any thought
Will it to a music school like Berklee College of Music or Musician's Institute

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
I have been reducing for years, at 65 I have 3 guitars & 2 amps. One of the amps is next to go. Nobody in my family is interested in guitars.

Poster Extraordinaire
Dumpster. Probably only $10k. Not worth dealing with.

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It comes to my mind frequently.
Immediate family have no interest in guitars or amps, though my daughter would gladly have my saxophone. There’s a few in the extended family who would gladly grab my kit, but they tend to be quite abusive and I don’t like to think of them being rough on the kit. Ideally I’d love to sell it off just before I go.
Even greater dilemma is the fact that I have instruments from both my parents, which have no obvious home when I’m gone.

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
I have a couple of guitars, not anything vintage or of great monetary value, that a few friends of mine have expressed they love. If I ever sell either one of these two, they will be offered to each of the 2 friends first. If I die before, I have told each of them that the guitar they are interested will be theirs's when I die. A few months ago I told my wife about it and she said that I need to write down any information about my stuff so she'll know who to call. So, I put a strip of painter's tape on the back of each headstock with their name/phone numbers.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
My two mates and I all have quite a collection. Gibsons, Fenders, a Fleta, amps, Martins , a Taylor too many to mention. We are going to bequeath the whole lot to the music teachers in our Ed. Dpt. to be given to a student (no less talented and just as devoted as Joe Robinson who , asa kid , got up at 3:00 a.m. to practice).
Said student will have to be a guitar major at our Adelaide University Conservatorium OR demonstrate before a panel of music lecturers. One of our trio is a maestro who was paid to live in Florence and Seville ( along with his family) by our government ( That's where the Fleta comes in). It would be a remarkable collection inclusdng a Mosrite and some pretty fine gear.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My wife and my squeeker all know what i have , My kid can keep all she wants sell off the rest, I dont care
I do know she knows what is good and what its worth , some of it is old now but not abused , my 78 strat looks brand new and I have kept all the original parts intact etc.
in all reality she will have a massive yard sale