What happens to your gear when you are gone ?

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
I’ve maintained an Excel spreadsheet file for years, with each piece of musical equipment, serial numbers, specific details, new price, current used value (high, avg, low). I keep the file on my computer desktop, and have a printout in a fireproof safe. My wife and daughters know that the file exists, and where to find it. This is not only to help them should I pass, but also to help if I ever needed to make an insurance claim due to theft of fire loss. I’ve always considered this important.

kuch

Tele-Holic
I had back surgery last year, nothing too serious, just spinal fusion where they put SS rods and pins in my back and removed the discs. But.... just in case it prompted me to write a will, you never know....

Anyway I made very clear that my son, eldest of 3 siblings, would get all of my gear: guitars, amps, drums, keyboards, recording gear, etc.... all of it as part of his "inheritance". There are a few things that might be considered heirlooms and hopefully that will go my grandsons that are musicians and they will keep it and pass it on to their kids or grandkids. I'm not going to be around anyway...

Funny story though: I've given two of my grandsons acoustics, electrics, drums, and amps in the past. When I've gotten them new items, they always ask me to not get rid of the old gear that was replaced and either hand it down to another grandkid or to keep themselves. So maybe some of the gear I pass down will stay in safe hands..... makes me smile :)

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Some of my gear would be donated to the band departments of local schools, the rest I have told the wife to put up for sale on consignment at a couple of local music stores. Not really expecting to make big bucks here, really just want to make sure they go into the hands of someone who will use them. I recently doubled my life insurance policy and will probably do it again before I retire. The wife and kids should be set and shouldn't have to have a garage sale to get by should my number come up sooner than I expect :)

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
My wife will post the time and location of the estate sale/auction here and on other guitar forums. Arrive early for a good seat.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I'm getting ready to sell 30 or so guitars. The rest I am giving to family members. Some are getting them now so I can see them smile while I'm still around. I'll keep 3 or 4 until I know it's time. If not they will also be willed.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
I don't want anything buried or cremated with me. That seems like a waste.

All of my stuff goes to my wife and our only kid. My wife won't sell anything. Ever. Our kid is going to college in the Fall and we still have baby clothes stored away. So eventually it will be my kid's problem. He doesn't play guitar (yet - I'm still hoping) but he will figure out the right thing to do with it.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
We've never really discussed it
( and I have nothing of serious value; but lots of good 'player/gig' gear)

- bury with me holding my Strat neck ( '97 Tex-Mex, and my #1 electric)

- keep my Martin out on a stand, as I'm always playing it at home ( gigs too)- almost every day. I think my wife would think of me, and the same songs she has heard me play ( Dylan, Dead, Neil Young. John Prine, blues, Bluegrass...), a million times!

- everything else can go to my buddies if they wanr, or sell for whatever, on CL and FB

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I’m friends with the owners of a local music store. They will rent a U-Haul and come get it all. At least I’ll know my wife will get a fair price. If she goes first, I’ll leave it all to the cat.

Miff

Tele-Meister
My friend Dave died recently, unexpectedly, and his brother asked me if I wanted his old EKO 12-string acoustic. I never had one before and I love it; and although it’s sad he’s gone I often think happily of Dave when I play it.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
My kids or wife will probally give my guitars to my nephew, same with the amps and the few pedals I have left :)
He plays the guitar and would probally use it.

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
No Id. I'm the only one in my entire family circle that has any musical interest. Cept 1 cuz. Who don't like me atm.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
My collection is sizable but unextraordinary (mostly partscasters). There should be enough there to gift a couple family members and fund my chock full o' nuts ash can.