What happens to your gear when you are gone ?

GrandpaBill

TDPRI Member
Perhaps a morbid question to start the day , but what happens to your music related items when you pass on.
I'm getting older so I think about things like this.
Does your wife or next of kin know the value of your collection of gear.
It's not bad if only a guitar or two , but some of our collections can be pretty big or variable in items
Personaly I have a lot of stuff maybe it's time to make an inventory list with approximate value written done.
I wouldn't want my wife to sell my Ultra for the price of my Eart.
Just curious if you have given it any thought

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
It’s in my will that my son gets it.

I don’t have much and don’t care to accumulate much, so it’s not going to be some treasure trove of a haul.

He can do whatever he wants with it. Play it, sell it if he could use the cash. I’ll be dead, what do I care?

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
I'm still gigging regularly. But this past year, I've been selling off the excess in amps and guitars that I absolutely will never need, just keeping what I truly need to continue my work, with a couple of back-ups for peace of mind. I have a step son that plays guitar, but it's doubtful he would ever gig, so his requirements aren't as huge. I've given direction as to where my instruments, amps and related gear will go to when that time comes. Unless something happens to me, I plan to keep what I have until I can no longer play.

Buell

Tele-Meister
How ironic that you would post this now. I just filled out my 1st will (getting old sucks!). I laid out where all of my equipment goes and its value. More important to me is my recorded music. One of my daughters understands how "valuable" that is to me, and to her, so I trust her to take care of my collection. I always joke that I'll be famous when I'm dead, so if my kids can reap the rewards....

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I told my family that I want to be buried with my Red Squier "The Veteran"
strat.JPG

That one will be with me in my coffin.

As for the others, they shall be dispersed between my family.

Last edited:

fasthand

Tele-Meister
My 14 year old grandson will get what ever is In my possession at the time of my mortal life’s end
Hopefully he will be close to 34 lol.
Likely he will be getting more pieces of my collection along the way while I’m here to watch his enjoyment with them.
He’s quite musical now school band and choir and I smile at what he has learned on guitar from watching me and more so YouTube

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
My wife occasionally asks. I'm never quite sure what to say. Maybe I, too, should catalogue it all for her just in case.

I knew someone who was worried that his wife could get badly short-changed when it happened, because every time she asked how much he had spent on something he told her nothing he bought was really very expensive at all!

GrandpaBill

TDPRI Member
First of all there's a difference between "Your" (You own it, it's yours) and "You're" (Short for "You are"), so please change the title of this thread.

I told my family that I want to be buried with my Red Squier "The Veteran"
View attachment 987202
That one will be with me in my coffin.

As for the others, they shall be dispersed between my family.
Thank you very much for your correction

Last edited:

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Funny that you should mention this as I have just started to catalogue all mine so Mrs gimme knows if anything happens. I really have no one to pass it on to, but have found out a lawyer can deal with the sale if it is needed, so sadly that is what will occur

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
In the big scheme, I really do not care. However, there are certain guitars that individual grandkids have indicated they want...I need to mark those and indicate an amp to go with each.

I have a file with the printouts of the big purchases, so anyone worried about the money spent (I wouldn't call it an investment) can easily see a starting point. I should add a note in there about how to look up current market prices...but in the end, after kids and grandkids get the pieces they desire, the rest can go to a school or youth after-school program.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I got one kid who dabbles in a bunch of different instruments but no other family members play. Most of mine are scratch builds with only sentimental value. I reckon the kids can divvy up the ones they like and dump the rest in the furnace with me.

I should prolly put a little more thought into it…

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I've made a spreadsheet for my wife with items, values, and pertinent information. A few of my guitars I would like to see go to specific friends, assuming they're still around when I croak. If at all possible, I'd like my #1 Tele to be passed down in a chain of like-minded musicians. It pains me to think of it hanging in a Guitar Center somewhere.

Then again, after we're gone it won't really matter. Kind of like our spelling skills. ;)

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I have no heirs per se so my gear and ALL my stuff to my dog!

Who ever takes care of the dog gets the gear; everything else too!

I have an older buddy in the same position. Single with no kin but a new puppy. I'm on the short list for his house IF take care of his dog!

Remember that SNL skit years ago when the Yankees were so bad and Steinbrenner said he'd never sell the team till he died. They'd do a news health report from in front of his house. "Looks like he's getting sick but only allergies or a cold...back to you Chevy"