What happens to rental guitars?

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
Our largest local guitar emporium has a rental option.
A minimum rental period and option to buy at any time.
The bottom line is, you pay a bit more for the guitar, but its one you're happy with.
Or you return it, lose some money, but dodge a guitar you don't like.

But what happens to the returns?
The shop doesn't sell "second hand" guitars.
Are they now "open box" guitars, "floor models", or what, does anybody know?

:::

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
The local music store, Cassell's music, which is where Wayne's World shot the music store segment (They still have the "No Stairway" sign on the wall), rents musical instruments to the local schools. Every year some are purchased, but the ones that come back just get rented again next semester....

I rented a flute from them for 2 years while I was in Junior High. Didn't buy it......

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
but the ones that come back just get rented again next semester....
OK, but if its a specific custom guitar, and they only have the one...
Its still available for the rental option.
Or do people usually make the purchase, and its simply not much of an issue?

maybe the rental version of the 5 second rule? Looks fine, little sleeve buffing and back on the rack!
Could it be?
😆

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
Well, all I know is I bought a beat up rental, but apart from a jumbo refret, all original '69 Strat many moons ago off a PA hire store myself. Got it for a song too and am just wishing I still had it, because it was a DAMN good geetar! Alas, no :(

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
OK, but if its a specific custom guitar, and they only have the one...
Its still available for the rental option.
Or do people usually make the purchase, and its simply not much of an issue?

Could it be?
😆

The owner told my father and I that the majority of their income came from actually renting the instruments, and that after 3 years of depreciating the value on the initial purchase, plus the rental fees that the instrument had paid for itself. And that some of the instruments he was renting were over 20 years old......

Deeve

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The local music store, Cassell's music, which is where Wayne's World shot the music store segment (They still have the "No Stairway" sign on the wall), rents musical instruments to the local schools. Every year some are purchased, but the ones that come back just get rented again next semester....

I rented a flute from them for 2 years while I was in Junior High. Didn't buy it......
Same for my daughter in high school orchestra, when she "outgrew" Mrs Deeve's flute (it needed a "just buy a new one, instead" level overhaul - think refret, reset neck, etc, but for flute) so we rented for a couple years.

Lovely neighborhood shop.
The guitar instructor happens to be a local Blues legend.

Our kid treated it like it was delicate/valuable and it was returned un-damaged.
Dunno about the guitars, though.
Peace - Deeve

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Rent to own, or as I like to call it "how to pay $3000 for a $600 instrument". Never did it with a guitar but I did it with a few other instruments for my ex and kids over the years.

I'm sure a lot of it depends on condition. I'd guess more than half of the instruments rented don't even get played more than a few times. Maybe they just rent them out to someone else.

Last edited:

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
L&M tags them as used and sells them at a reduced , I picked up an Eptphone LMT edition white fire bird 2 in mint condition for less than 350.00 CDN went out on rental 1 time