1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What happened to you after you stopped drinking?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 16, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

While using a depressant temporarily reduces anxiety, long term anxiety management with booze reduces our other coping skills so anxiety increases when not intoxicated.

Quitting drinking may not solve anxiety caused by other issues, but drinking to solve problems just creates more and more problems while stunting our growth in certain areas that are generally essential to good living.
    Coping skills are developed and require learning and practice.
    Many of us started drinking before we started being adults.
    If so we may need to rethink our approach to adulthood when we quit drinking.
    Some anxiety is brain or emotion issues but some is just the result of repeating poor choices that lead to the same stressful and unrewarding outcomes.

2. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

I was mainly a social drinker but on a few occasions i was a heavy drinker once when i worked in a night club for a while, and once when i was a carer at home and another time i cant remember why.

When i cut down each time i felt much better and started training again as well so i felt more alive, i only have about one pint a week now when i play snooker and enjoy that alot.

Squittolo likes this.
  3. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

Drinking, the only way for fat chicks to get dates. Warning on a bottle of booze. Consuming this beverage can make the opposite sex appear much attractive than they actually are.

Squittolo likes this.
  4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I started thinking straight, and over the course of 10+ years I have really made huge changes and improvements in my attitudes and thinking in a good healthy way.
    All the years I drank I was stagnating, never making positive changes when it was so easy to feel good by just getting drunk.

5. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

We wouldn't hang out with you either don't worry.

Keefsdad and Squittolo like this.
  6. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I forgot to add the best part, I redirected my booze budget into guitars, and now I have really nice gear.

Squittolo likes this.
  7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I do suggest you continue to not drink.

Squittolo likes this.
  8. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace Tele-Meister

Deal;)

Recce and Squittolo like this.
  9. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

Haven't felt those hangovers that make you feel like a walking zombie. My face used to feel like it was going to fall off.

Squittolo likes this.
  10. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

This topic has been covered a bit in earlier posts, I hope I am not being too redundant. Anxiety runs in my family, each generation has about two or three sufferers. I have had severe anxiety disorder problems many times in my life starting with my early twenties. I had a long period of anxiety in my mid forties and had to go on medication to manage it. This time I had to go in and find a solution with a psychiatrist to get the right pill and the right dosage to finally manage my anxiety to a workable level where I found humor in things and could let things go more easily. Anxiety is a disorder which can create spiraling negative thoughts, you make a small blunder and think your world is crashing in on you after you let it stew in your mind, you see the worst case scenario as a given result to all problems no matter how small. I got used to people saying “just let it go” to me and I realized I wasn’t able to. The psychiatrist was always asking me how much I drink, if I ever had a drinking problem, did I crave alcohol. I asked him why he was so concerned about alcohol and he told me many people use alcohol as a home remedy for their anxiety disorder. When they start to feel better on alcohol it leads them to eventually try to stay drunk at a manageable level where they can function during the day and not get panic episodes. They don’t feel anxious because they dull their senses enough to stop the negative thoughts in their heads from latching on. The danger with this is of course the liver problems, cognitive function lapses causing danger while operating vehicles, and the anguish it can cause loved ones and coworkers to have a partner, spouse, or parent continually impaired by alcohol. Many musicians have social anxiety and being tipsy makes them feel more open to small talk situations they need to be in while networking to get more gigs. I realized that alcohol is an easy trap to fall into but my prescription antidepressant does the job while I have a clear mind to teach students and perform music at a higher level for me. I know how hard some people find it to break the alcohol cycle, I count myself as very lucky that I didn’t get caught in it to manage my anxiety levels, one of my relatives did and was a functioning alcoholic for years.

11. julmust

julmust Tele-Meister

Yes, but it is counterproductive in many cases. It offers short term relaxation, but it usually means twice as bad once hangover kicks in.

For me I did not drink because of fear and pain, I just enjoy drinking alot. But I feel much better now. :)

Squittolo likes this.
  12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

that's right...hangover is a fear/depression booster (I know that too well...)...but my once-a-week white wine hangover is not that bad..just a little tiredness...after 25 years I've learned how to deal with it ...

Squittolo and julmust like this.
  13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

That's awesome.
    Did it help you lose the aye aye patch?

Squittolo and LeftFinger like this.
  14. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

SNL reference? LOL

15. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Immediately lost weight, felt better, and saved money. Eventually became a better husband, father, son, brother, friend, human, etc,...

Squittolo and WilburBufferson like this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m not sure and/ or I’ve lost track, are you saying you do have a problem or you don’t have a problem?

The hangover is totally unrelated to the relationship often found between drinking problems and anxiety or depression problems.
    Similarly something like feeling depressed when your dog dies is totally unrelated to a clinical depression problem.

Normal people drinking to relax on the weekend is also totally unrelated to people with other mental health problems self medicating with alcohol, even though to an outsider it might seem like clinical versions of depression or anxiety are the same as a normal person feels when their dog dies or they have a big job interview.

Squittolo likes this.
  17. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

Good way of putting it. Was on Prozac for a while but moderate amounts of booze seem to plug the chemical gap in my brain. Just beer...not wine or spirits.

Squittolo likes this.
  18. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I knew a man once who was the most useless drunken SOB I ever met.

One year He saw the light and sobered up.

He became the most useless SOB I ever met.

I liked him better drunken.

At least there appeared to be a reason for it

19. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

I never drink beer, wine, etc..

Squittolo likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Therefore, logically, you've never stopped drinking :eek:

Squittolo and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.